Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Infinos Gaiden

Darth Canoli

Arcane

So, i'm on s Shoot'em up rampage, this one really stands out.
By the way, just found out kids re-baptized shoot'em up shmups.
Of course they did, it was too long to write ... Oh boy ...

No review yet, i barely touched it but it's GOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!

The Bad
  • No way to rebind keys, as far as i know.
  • Barely any options but difficulty and number of continues (1-9)

The Good
  • That 90's arcade shoot'em up feel
  • It's hard but not impossible
  • You can alleviate it by giving yourself more continues
  • Great pace, no performances issues
  • Great level design
  • The bosses!!! Just like back in the days, they're amazing!
  • Nice enemy design as well
  • Just shoot'em up!
  • Let's play it again

The Ugly
In don't have a PC turned into a home arcade to play it... :negative:

Ash

Arcane
Ah Shoot em ups, the genre with gameplay depth that is the equivalent of threading a needle over and over, just with cool flashy visuals. Minor hyperbole of course, but not far off.
There is joy to be found in simplicity sometimes, but not this simple. That was always my hot take even as a kid. Ultimately I was born into the 90s golden age whereas shoot em ups was born into 80s arcade gameplay. I'd go to the arcade on outings from time to time and spend a few coins but it could never compare to the home PC and console gaming experience.

I always found shoot em ups to be a style over substance genre, but one game I really liked (in short bursts) was G-Darius. The game just had so much style, and an incredible soundtrack to boot, as well as just a few minor gameplay innovations to not make it boring after one level (branching level paths and capture balls w/associated mechanics). Ultimately it's still boring after 40 mins though, but that's better than the standard.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I was expecting some kind of Afterburner-like after seeing the initial pic, but not bad. Music seems to be stellar and graphics are well recreated.

I always found shoot em ups to be a style over substance genre, but one game I really liked (in short bursts) was G-Darius. The game just had so much style, and an incredible soundtrack to boot, as well as just a few minor gameplay innovations to not make it boring after one level (branching level paths and capture balls w/associated mechanics). Ultimately it's still boring after 40 mins though, but that's better than the standard.

Really, I don't share your view on the genre but there are some interesting titles out there with more depth. Try Radiant Silvergun once.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Really, I don't share your view on the genre but there are some interesting titles out there with more depth. Try Radiant Silvergun once.

Never heard about this one but i'd recommend R-Type for a different gameplay, the focused fire and the modules formation/shield thing along with the giant ships and multi-directional scrolling really renewed the genre.

But really (aside from R-Type which was single player), most of the fun from Shoot'em up came from the 2-players mode, i remember buying all of the available ones during my megadrive era, either i bought it or a friend did, we never had enough of them.
Thunderforce III, IV, Vapor Trail, Battle squadron (probably the first one i bought), R-Type (NES), and then the NEO GEO ones like View Point, Alpha Mission 2, etc...
And i'm not even talking about the arcade ones like after burner, 1943, the Raidens, Cabal ...

Well, let's create a full fledge Shoot'em up topic, shall we?

Besides, i'm playing a few more of them and i found the holy grail!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom