Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Influencial post-2000 games

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
A little documentary about Cave Story and how it paved the way of the indie scene :M

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Firaxis XCOM. Like it or hate it, this game had a big influence on RPGs and tactical games released afterwards.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Combat Mission
Sea Dogs
Operation Flashpoint
Morrowind
Deus Ex
Hearts of Iron
EU
Ageod's American Civil War
Kessen

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Assassin's Creed and Far Cry 3 together were incredibly influential for creating the Ubisoft Open World™ model that so many games copy now. Probably one of the most destructive influences of the last decade, because unlike, say, CoD4's influence on online multiplayer, the Ubisoft Open World™ fucked up just about every genre including RPG (The Witcher 3), stealth games (MGSV), FPS (Rage 2), and so on.

I think Far Cry 3 in particular, and also Borderlands, was also a big influence on the fact that every game, especially FPS, needs to have banal leveling and crafting mechanics now.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There is no "No", you didn't disagree with anything i wrote :-P.

, what happened was that Valve understood that they didn't need to put in graphics just for the sake of it.

Sure and if anything, i actually have used Valve's approach as an example back in the late 2000s when i worked on a game to show that we didn't need to spend as much time as we did on all the graphical glitz and instead focus on things we lacked on. The shadows and advanced animations were actually two things i pointed out (we had spent too much time on shadows yet our animations were quite bad).

‘Doing shadows properly’ is pointless when lightmaps are visually superior most of the time.

I actually agree, though lightmaps do have a lot of limitations, especially back in the early/mid-2000s (though HL2's approach on lightmapping is actually one of the most advanced even to this day). They -and static lighting in general- doesn't fit all types of games and scenarios and Doom 3 took good advantage of the realtime lighting for its atmosphere unlike more recent games that use realtime lighting without reason (e.g. as much as i like Prey 2017, i can't think of a good reason for it to use realtime lighting).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom