Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Guyduk, Jun 3, 2014.

1. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    I finished it twice and had no problems. Did you had that problem? I am not extremely positive,just think that the game is decent scifi. At the very least it is worth playing for the setting and the writing. Never had any major problems with bugs,maybe something that needed a reload or something.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    Yes, I couldn't finish the game properly because of a game stopping bug. The same bug was reported in this thread a few pages back, and there hasn't been significant updates since.

The atmosphere, art, and setting are great. I've said as much in the thread. The problem is the extremely dishonest way the development team and publisher portrayed themselves after the release. They never fixed any of the deeper problems with gameplay, RPG mechanics, character progression, or things on the technical side. This game has changed very little since it's initial release, and has maybe even gotten worse. So I can't watch people go into the game with hope that it's going to be a good or smooth experience, nor can I let these dishonest fucks swindle people out of any more money.

^ Top  
  3. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Fair enough,bugs are weird on pc games,some people have it,others don't.

Don't agree that the game hasn't changed from release,i remember a lot of things got polished and fixed with patches. But yeah some problems/daft decisions remained. Progression was not well made for sure,i just decided to cheat at some point and give me self points at certain places.

From what i remember,the devs got fucked over. There was some drama about one of devs fucking off and messing up the code. They didn't fix it because the couldn't,not because they didn't want to.

Hmm i believe people could have good experience,even if not a smooth one. I generally prefer originality and passion over polish,but to each their own. It is not well polished game for sure,it does have problems.

By the way,did you try out Vagrus riven realms? You might find it interesting,i certainly did,it ended up as the game i am most hyped about :).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Jinn Arcane

Jinn
    I'm not ever overly concerned about little annoying bugs and scuffs here and there, especially if there's great things at the base of it all. When bugs repeatedly prevent people from finishing a game, then yeah, that's a pretty major problem in my eyes.

This is also unacceptable in my eyes. it's a display of inept design. I know you tend to cheat on a regular basis, but that saps all the fun out of a game for me, and I know it does for many others around here too.

Of course they wanted to fix it. But they also knew they couldn't, and proved as much time and time again. It could have been the publisher forcing them in to continuing, they could have been covering their ass, or they could have really been ignorant enough to believe they could handle something they couldn't. It all boils down to dishonestly however you look at it, and the fact that it was dragged on for not months, but years, is also a big problem for me.

I will definitely be checking it out when it get's closer to release. I'll probably buy a copy off their Figstarter page so they get all the money for it. It looks like an excellent game!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    It is,i checked it out when first came out in EA to see if there is anything worth caring for in it. Ended up buying it on gog the next day,first time i buy an unfinished game. Not many games let you play as a slaver,that is for sure :). Also the setting is great,really love exploring and learning new shit about the world.

Ahh it is not on regular basis,i just don't shy away from it. If i dislike something in a game i change it. I value enjoyment of the game above other things. Tho most of me cheating is using speed hacks to speed up tedious tb combat.
    For me it is not a problem because i could easily fix it with cheat engine. I would rather edit the system and have good time than to be angry at the devs over it and have miserable time.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The Comitatus/head vagrus fella can't take part in fights directly, correct?

^ Top  
  7. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Have no idea mate,i stopped playing after few hours in the first version,from what a read in the game's thread,it had improved a lot. If you talk about your main character,no you couldn't fight in fights back in the first version.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I take it that's a no.

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    LoL sorry,haven't slept in 30ish ours and have 10 more to do :). No,you can't fight with your main guy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    What an utterly civilized approach. Disgusting.

^ Top  
  11. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Well you play as a jew that runs around and collects goys to sell to a death cult or undead mining enterprise.

^ Top  
  12. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Mind you, you can do so in Mount and Blade as well. Not as a commodity, but you could sell off prisoners. You could trade slaves in Sea Dogs City of Abandoned Ships too.

^ Top  
  13. fantadomat Arcane Edgy Wumao

fantadomat
    Yeah,as i said,not many games that let you do that.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. 4249 I stalk the night Patron

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Smerlus Educated

Smerlus
    For cheap I would say go for it and read about some of the bugs in the last few pages or so. One of them is game stopping but avoidable. Even though I ran into the bug, the developer was nice enough that I was able to send them my save file and they fixed it.

It reminded me a lot of a modern Eurojank fallout with pretty annoying bugs, translation issues and less C&C.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. polo Erudite

polo
    A shame really, i backed this in kickstarter and never got to play it.

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. 4249 I stalk the night Patron

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Off to a good start.

None of the Steam achievements seem to trigger, got neither the one for finishing the prologue nor the one for starting the actual game. Oh well, no biggie.

The counter for selecting a tattoo in character creation goes 7 -> 9 -> 8 -> 10 :lol:

And then I got a crash running down a corridor.

• Funny x 6
    • feels good man x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Rage x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. 4249 I stalk the night Patron

I'm roughly ~20 hours in and pleasantly surprised I've had no major bugs. I've had bugs, of course, but nothing game breaking. I did follow the guide to do Bane of Mills and What is the Price of Freedom? just to be on the safer side.

It definitely is a broken and utterly unfinished game however. Most aspects feel like they got the first version working and just went with it. Ranged combat is as basic cover shooting as you can get. Melee combat is basicly kick the opponent to win. Feels like armor has no effect whatsoever, and I don't think there's any armor against plasma weapons. I have no idea how experience works. I've leveled up more from beating up random ghetters (which apparently has no downsides) than from finishing quests. The exp counter also seems to start half full after each level up, because why not. I think some quests have multiple solutions, but mostly it's just a few dialogue options you get from certain skills or your starting class. The only thing it's actually got going for it is the interesting setting. Still, that's carrying it pretty well for me, I just love the weird ass sci-fi. It's also a pretty good looking ugly game, partly due to the setting.

I am getting pretty tired of the developers fascination on making you carry the most mundane shit around with a very limited inventory weight. At first I thought it's ok to disassemble/sell/destroy most of the junk, but then they start throwing quests at you that fucking require you to actually carry some of that random stuff (radio, telephone, a fucking movie ticket etc.) around, with no prior indication that it might need to be kept, because fuck you. Also maintenance requiring just completely random crafting components, so you need to pretty much carry some amount of all the parts/weapon parts/plates/circuits components at all times as well if you want to be able to utilize the skill.

Maybe I'll even finish this, unless something major comes along.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Zibniyat Arcane

Zibniyat
    The website needs an update :lol:

From the OP:

:keepmyjewgold:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Fishy Fishy x 1
    • Math! Math! x 1
    • M: M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. 4249 I stalk the night Patron

They are apparently still working on the game on some level FWIW.

A poster with dev tag said this in their latests news item about a sale in June:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. rusty_shackleford Arcane

rusty_shackleford
    Still amazes me that they could put in so much effort then just stop a short ways from the goal line, effectively ruining all the work that went into making it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Many such cases.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. baud Arcane Patron

baud
    RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    maybe they ran out of money and just released what they have to try to recoup the costs

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. 4249 I stalk the night Patron

Well, I did manage to finish it. Was going for another ending first, when the game bugged out on me and I couldn't see the ending slides for that. Since it didn't let me save after the last fight, I just went with another ending I could access through dialogue only without going through the awkward as fuck fight. I think no choices prior to the final area actually matter, and at least in my ending there were not separate slides for whatever you did before.

In the end I feel like the setting was interesting and would've deserved more and that they should've kept it more down to earth. Like Fallout. All the somnia bullshit was just... meh. I would've liked to see way more faction based gameplay and exploration of the station, but well, it is what it is. The game had maybe ~10-20 hours of more open ended gameplay, after which it pretty much started railroading you towards the end. Steam says it took me ~28h to finish.

Still, the only game breaking bug I got was with one the endings, so it went pretty well on that front. Some side quests I either didn't explore enough (although I think I did see most of the areas and their nooks and crannies) or were just broken.

Whatever patches they release won't really matter much, it might be a smoother experience, but I doubt they're going to expand content or mechanics wise, so it's going to stay a very lukewarm experience nonetheless.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.