Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Interesting articles in Dragon magazine

Codex Year of the Donut
I decided to read through Dragon magazine starting from the beginning. It's probably going to take me a long time. Any interesting articles I find therein, I'll clip and post here. Maybe you guys will enjoy reading them too.
Click on the images in quotes to maximize them.

I'll start off with "EVIL: LAW VS CHAOS" by Gary Gygax. Issue #28, 1979.
evil-law-vs-chaos-pg-1.png
evil-law-vs-chaos-pg-2.png

Infinitron is this the right subforum for this? I really wasn't sure which to post this in.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I decided to read through Dragon magazine starting from the beginning. It's probably going to take me a long time. Any interesting articles I find therein, I'll clip and post here. Maybe you guys will enjoy reading them too.
Nice! Two years ago, I (re-)read Dragon Magazine starting with its short-lived predecessor The Strategic Review and continuing to the last issue (#236) before the demise of TSR. Although the Strategic Review only lasted for 7 issues and had a low page count, it contained a number of notable articles, mostly written by Gary Gygax himself.

edit:
Think this may be him.
He died two years ago. Looks like he eventually went on to work for TSR, a dream job.
https://obits.al.com/obituaries/birmingham/obituary.aspx?n=gary-floyd-spiegle&pid=189397911
RIP bro.
In the brief time he was at TSR, Garry Spiegle wrote adventure module CM2 Death's Ride and two non-D&D adventure modules (Gamma World and Star Frontiers) and also helped develop the Dragonlance campaign setting. There was a lot of turmoil and turnover at TSR in the period, culminating in 1985 when Gary Gygax returned to power only to be ousted in October by Lorraine Williams, who then helmed TSR until the end in 1997.

Codex Year of the Donut
Honestly not a fan of the recurring stories in the earlier editions. I prefer the self-contained short stories and lore articles.
Now on issue #10.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Nice! Two years ago, I (re-)read Dragon Magazine starting with its short-lived predecessor The Strategic Review and continuing to the last issue (#236) before the demise of TSR. Although the Strategic Review only lasted for 7 issues and had a low page count, it contained a number of notable articles, mostly written by Gary Gygax himself.

If you read them all, I'm pretty sure you don't have them physically ? Where did you find them on the net ?

I really like everytime I read from Strategic Review or Dragon Magazine, but I don't own many (3-4 ?). My favorite article has got to be the old one where Gygax says how to run a campaign in a few pages.

rusty_shackleford The recommend readings also went into the famous Appendix N of AD&D DMG with a couple of addition or at least description of titles.

Codex Year of the Donut

If you read them all, I'm pretty sure you don't have them physically ? Where did you find them on the net ?

I really like everytime I read from Strategic Review or Dragon Magazine, but I don't own many (3-4 ?). My favorite article has got to be the old one where Gygax says how to run a campaign in a few pages.

rusty_shackleford The recommend readings also went into the famous Appendix N of AD&D DMG with a couple of addition or at least description of titles.
They're all available on archive.org
https://archive.org/details/DragonMagazine260_201801

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've been chomping through Appendix N for the past few months. So much of early D&D makes so much sense when going through this reading list. Modern D&D feels so self referential compared to the stuff Gygax was cribbing from these authors.

I think that's why BG I&II are so perennially popular, because the world depicted sticks to that conglomerate of fantasy elements, where you have the bucolic, foresty life, the feeling of setting out on innocent adventure, juxtaposed with absolute horror and evil doings by megalomaniacs. There's definitely something of a piece about the early D&D settings as they bounce between those two polarities.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Typo on the cover :M

typo.jpg

That's just fear of a copyright lawsuit
And the actual article has the headline: Tolkein in Dungeons & Dragons :M

The game was designed stressing the human aspect of play, humans being ultimately the strongest and predominant race on any earth. With a few exceptions most worlds of Fantasy and Swords & Sorcery writers are predominantly inhabited by humans. Elves, dwarves and hobbits were the minority races on Middle-Earth and were never in the spotlight for long time periods. Furthermore, D & D was not written to recreate or in any collective way simulate Professor Tolkien’s world or beings. A few were included such as Balrogs, Orcs etc. for it was recognized that Tolkien made some impressions upon the Fantasy literary world which were worth including in D & D, but not to the extent of basing the game system around them. That is left up to separate judges — but in doing so they excommunicate themselves from the actual D & D system. As I stated earlier we support creative imagination but we also support the premise of D & D. Those who base their games around a single work such as LOT are playing a campaign based around Middle-Earth and since D & D was not written to create a basis for one world, it is thus not strict D & D. Players must remember also that elves, dwarves and similar creatures were around before Tolkien took to the field and determinations of advancement etc. are left to the separate authors or judges as the case may arise. Tolkien’s elves may have been on the average better than a human of his world but in D & D it can be quite the opposite. On the other side of the coin, though elves and dwarves are limited to the level they may attain they gain early advantage (noticing secret doors, sloping passages etc.) which partially makes up for their lower levels later on.

One must also remember that this system works with the worlds of R.E. Howard, Fritz Leiber and L.S. de Camp and Fletcher Pratt much better than that of Tolkien. If one is to branch away from the D & D system, let’s say towards Tolkien’s world, he will be disappointed to find that most spells, characters etc. do not function well within the epic world of Tolkien’s design. The Professor was concerned with presenting a well-told tale of sheer magnitude and greatness culminating with the end of the story, end of the characters, end of the world for all it was worth, for what more was there actually to do? There was not a continuing story line possible, for the story itself was in fact based around the destruction of the Ring and all those events which were spawned from it. As we would say at TSR “END OF ADVENTURE”.

What I am saying is that for a role-playing, continuous adventuring world, Tolkien’s does not fit well within the D & D game style. Thus, difficulties will always be found when one attempts to combine D & D and Tolkien’s Middle-Earth into one. One last piece of information which might help those people out there who are confused about which “light” Dungeons & Dragons should be taken in or how the game was inspired; I suggest you read the following. This is an excerpt taken from the foreword to Dungeons and Dragons, written by Gary Gygax.

“These rules are strictly fantasy. Those wargamers who lack imagination, those who don’t care for Burroughs’ Martian adventures where John Carter is groping through black pits, who feel no thrill upon reading Howards’ Conan saga, who do not enjoy the de Camp & Pratt fantasies or Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser pitting their swords against evil sorceries will not be likely to find Dungeons and Dragons to their taste.”

May you never be caught in a dead end by an iron golem!

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
This is part of the "rectcon" of Gygax, and rightly so since it comes from Kuntz. In reality Tolkien had always been important for Gygax: the fantasy supplement of Chainmail is specifically aimed at being able to run Moorcock yes, but most notably the Battle of the Five Armies. This is SUPER evident from the alignement portion of the fantasy supplement. If you include the type of creatures, races, etc. that are included, AND the anecdotal (but important IMO) fact that the FIRST and ONLY book that Gygax was reading to ALL its children (source: Ernie Gygax) was The Hobbit, I think it's clear that Tolkien was important from the get go to D&D. Later, it became a retcon that "lol no it's all about Leiber", and this was pushed heavily by Kuntz and others. But facts remains and are clear: it was first and foremost about Moorcock, Tolkien (Hobbit, to be fair) and Poul Anderson. The others are what the game ended up being more suitable for and therefore "stuck" (Sword & Sorcery).

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The "How much did Tolkien influence D&D" thing is always so strange. Gygax certainly downplayed it despite all the obvious things he did crib from Tolkien, but I almost feel like it was more as an over reaction to all the people whose idea of fantasy starts and ends with Tolkien. Considering how much stuff was taken directly from various other stories I don't think you can really claim that they retroactively were what stuck. Early D&D is very much the fever dream mixture of a lot of late 60's/early 70's era paperback fantasy/horror/sci-fi.

deuxhero

Arcane
I found the following articles interesting because they're relics of a pre-internet (Or at least pre-modern-internet) publication.
13: Japanese Mythos, The
58: Swords: Slicing Into a Sharp Topic
121: Whaddaya Mean, Jack the Samurai?
240: Mysterious Cities (includes some stuff on supernatural that's still applicable)

Any other suggestions for this?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The "How much did Tolkien influence D&D" thing is always so strange. Gygax certainly downplayed it despite all the obvious things he did crib from Tolkien, but I almost feel like it was more as an over reaction to all the people whose idea of fantasy starts and ends with Tolkien. Considering how much stuff was taken directly from various other stories I don't think you can really claim that they retroactively were what stuck. Early D&D is very much the fever dream mixture of a lot of late 60's/early 70's era paperback fantasy/horror/sci-fi.

I think actually if you boil it right down, D&D is an amalgam of Tolkien and Jack Vance. When people think of the Vancian influence on D&D they think of "Vancian magic" and Ioun Stones, but it goes far, far deeper than that. Vance was sort of at the tail-end of the earlier generation of pulp influencers like Howard, Lovecraft, etc. Not only was The Dying Earth a direct influence on Gygax, as often cited, but The Dying Earth itself, having been written in 1950, was a huge influence on many subsequent s-f/fantasy authors. Leiber, Anderson and Moorcock were themselves Vance fans (Moorcock's Dancers at the End of Time is virtually a tribute to The Dying Earth, it has basically the same premise, though of course Moorcock makes it his own).

Vance was always broadly popular enough to earn a living, but not as broadly popular as his actual quality deserves, mainly because of the peculiarity of his style and his idiosyncratic use of language, which doesn't appeal to everyone and requires of the reader a level of literacy that's a tad above the average; but that delight in language is why many professionals loved him.

And the mixture of a mediaeval level of everyday life plus technology and magic, and bucolic adventuring with (just under the surface) a gothic, abyssal level of evil, perpetrated by godlike beings driven more than anything else by curiosity, that's so characteristic of the D&D scenarios, is the essence of Vance.

Last edited:

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
the peculiarity of his style and his idiosyncratic use of language

Yeah, as a non-native English speaker, I gotta admit reading his books isn't the easiest task. Basically I just gave up checking the dictionary constantly after The Dying Earth and blazed through the sequels trying to figure the weird words out just by myself.

But I have something positive to say as well: with the exception of Cugel's saga, his text never seems to drag. On the contrary, a lot can happen plotwise in just a single sentence, and I really like the brisk tempo. There are rarely any dull moments.

Speaking of influence, the humorous antics of the wizards in Rhialto the Marvellous reminded me of Pratchett more than once. I'd guess he read his Vance as well.

All in all, I'm very happy to have read all the four books in the series and can recommend them heartily, except maybe the third, which I found only ok.

nikolokolus

Arcane
For those who really like to savor Vance's prose, y'all need to read the Lyonesse trilogy if you haven't. It was completed at the end of Vance's career, and it feels like the culmination of all his best stuff (The Demon Princes, Rhialto The Marvellous, etc.). Basically it's Vance's take on a classic fairy tale, mixed with Arthurian myths and legends, but also full of his hallmark irony.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom