Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview critical of Bethesda RUBBED OUT

Ammar

Scholar
Maybe it was just me but on my very first playthrough of MW money was rather tight for a considerable duration of the game. Bribes, training, spells usually ate most of my money. Shops not so much, because most only sell very basic equipment.

Of course this was before I found Creeper, before the Tribunal Morag Tong Assassins with 4000 Septims in equipment and before knowing how to get some high value items like the Balmorra Mage Guild soulgems.

Mercantile being broken in several ways is another issue, though.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Creeper was good for early game, Mudcrab was good for unloading all your spare Daedric weapons. Easiest way to make money was just making potions and selling them... because certain merchant had endless supply of ingredients (case in point: ash yam and bloat in the Imperial Cult of Sadrith Mora).

Turjan

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
Modders did fix it, or at least made it bearable. I remember playing vanilla MW the first time, I went into Arrile's shop first thing and got out fully fitted with the best armor and weapon available, something not even jrpgs let you do.
Not sure what you did there, but that was not really a problem. Arrille doesn't have anything special in stock. The problem with Mercantile in the vanilla game was that a high skill yielded less money from merchants than a low one. But modders fixed it.

I agree that money was not that easy to come by in the game. Of course, if you knew where to get your hands on good equipment, you could do that. But there's no way to know that on a first playthrough other than reading spoilers on the net. Even finding the mudcrab by yourself is very unlikely. You would probably kill it as soon as you see it.

granit

Scholar
Oh dear.

I was not bored with either, and Morrowind is my most played game of all time. I can't give you much to work with because you seem to know next to nothing about Morrowind. It's obvious you did not enjoy the game and did not put in the effort necessary to genuinely understand its story and world, and there's little I can do about that.

I can remember very little, all that expositional noise did not stick with me; then again, I'm a reader. Bill Hicks joke there I believe, of all things. I must have clocked over a hundred hours trying to play Morrowind, I gave that game more of a shot than I have ever given a game I despised in all it was. I read everything, I talked to everyone, I tried to do any quest and interact with anything but that god forsaken magicka system (and if that was my demise then don't say it as it will ruin your upholstery) and I got nothing out of it. My bother with Morrowind is not really the story, to claim it is about the story seems foolish to me because it is about the experience of an open world and it is in that I found Morrowind performed the worst; the world is large, you have to run around everywhere which destroys your fatigue, ruining melee combat when travelling; the RPG system does not lend itself to enough variety of play for an open-world game; there are no characters or personalities, only exposition and back story, making the world feel stale and lifeless, something that could have been amended with proper writing.
Wrong, that is something that could have been amended with proper imagination.
To argue the merits of Morrowind's story is to try and give pretentious meaning to it because the game does not tell a story, a story can be read about but it is not told. The sadness of this preposterous argument is that you are measuring Morrowind against Fallout and in the aspect of story of all things. Fallout tells a story, Morrowind is an open-world RPG like its predecessors and it should be compared to its predecessor as that is what it came from, and Morrowind is a dumbed down version of Daggerfall. Bethany already made Morrowind better and then, sadly, they made Morrowind.
To argue that you need a literal story in order to role play, is to argue you have no imagination.

Raapys

Arcane
I remember when I was first introduced to Bethesda's titles. Was this nerd I was working for in a 'try working a real job for a week!' elementary school thing. He said The Elder Scrolls was awesome, couldn't stop talking about it, and that he'd fix me up with a game. I actually got excited. Couple of days later he gives me a copy of not Arena, not Daggerfall, but fucking Redguard. What a disappointment.

DraQ

Arcane
:necro:

Also:

Oh dear.

I was not bored with either, and Morrowind is my most played game of all time. I can't give you much to work with because you seem to know next to nothing about Morrowind. It's obvious you did not enjoy the game and did not put in the effort necessary to genuinely understand its story and world, and there's little I can do about that.

I can remember very little, all that expositional noise did not stick with me; then again, I'm a reader. Bill Hicks joke there I believe, of all things. I must have clocked over a hundred hours trying to play Morrowind, I gave that game more of a shot than I have ever given a game I despised in all it was. I read everything, I talked to everyone, I tried to do any quest and interact with anything but that god forsaken magicka system (and if that was my demise then don't say it as it will ruin your upholstery) and I got nothing out of it. My bother with Morrowind is not really the story, to claim it is about the story seems foolish to me because it is about the experience of an open world and it is in that I found Morrowind performed the worst; the world is large, you have to run around everywhere which destroys your fatigue, ruining melee combat when travelling; the RPG system does not lend itself to enough variety of play for an open-world game; there are no characters or personalities, only exposition and back story, making the world feel stale and lifeless, something that could have been amended with proper writing.
Wrong, that is something that could have been amended with proper imagination.
To argue the merits of Morrowind's story is to try and give pretentious meaning to it because the game does not tell a story, a story can be read about but it is not told. The sadness of this preposterous argument is that you are measuring Morrowind against Fallout and in the aspect of story of all things. Fallout tells a story, Morrowind is an open-world RPG like its predecessors and it should be compared to its predecessor as that is what it came from, and Morrowind is a dumbed down version of Daggerfall. Bethany already made Morrowind better and then, sadly, they made Morrowind.
To argue that you need a literal story in order to role play, is to argue you have no imagination.
Not sure if :bro:.

Gulnar

Scholar
WWhat is this, some sort of thread-lich? Whenever killed by time, he respawn 1d4 years after?

Luzur

Good Sir
I remember when I was first introduced to Bethesda's titles. Was this nerd I was working for in a 'try working a real job for a week!' elementary school thing. He said The Elder Scrolls was awesome, couldn't stop talking about it, and that he'd fix me up with a game. I actually got excited. Couple of days later he gives me a copy of not Arena, not Daggerfall, but fucking Redguard. What a disappointment.

you..you where raped, werent you?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom