Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Into the Breach: Advanced Edition - mech tactics game from FTL devs with Chris Avellone writing

Hellraiser

Arcane
They sure are taking their time with the DLC/expansion... There will be one, right?

They are hiring according to their twatter/site (opening was announced 23rd of April) so they seem to be doing something.

http://subsetgames.com/jobs.html

The Switch port was released last year so I guess they are not going into more ports. If iOS (bleh) or droid was on the cards they would already announced if not released the port.

My main fear is that they might have ran out of ideas for mechanics to fit in the formula. New squads, items, pilots, annoying vek and an island seem like a no-brainer for an expansion/advanced edition. However the current squads are designed quite neatly around their core mechanics/gimmicks and I am not sure just what new stuff they come up with.

One thing they should do is make Camila Vera less appealing to use. Webbing is the main reason I lose in this game if I don't use her and have her draw all the leaper/scorpion bullshit.

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
I don't think it's as much about ideas (the amount of cut content left in the game or at least what it ensues is about wiorth an Advanced Edition already) but about mixing well with the concept that defines ITB, which is conciseness. FTL could absolutely fit a couple new sectors, races, ships, systems and the like because it's just more variables thrown into the slot machine. If they were to do the same for ITB, it'd be hard as balls because just ONE new enemy type could throw the entire balance off. I think if they were to do anything, which they haven't promised in the first place, it'd mainly be new mech squads, a new island with its corresponding maps, objectives and mechanics, as well as the difficulty bump (mayhaps unlockig changes to the final mission?). And maaybe overhauling some other system, like Grid Defense. Basically, largely self-enclosed content that doesn't mix with what was there already.

Fingers crossed for them adding the reearch tree back tho :obviously:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah, it's like that one quote that we all know from reading Antione de Saint-Exupery and then we were really surprised when Leonard Nimoy said it in the Civ 4 civilopedia.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i feel silly playing this on pc, its like im emulating mobile game. Id love to play this on mobile while in traffic
He is right actually: the UI would probably work on mobile with minor adjustments. It is a good tactical puzzle, that would be more at home on mobile than on PC.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This is a fun little game actually. Got it on discount recently.

Which are your favorite squads? Anything that is better than the original one?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

I had some good success with Blitzkrieg and Hazarduous mechs, but I cannot really remember much.
The hook mech was definitely not the strongest!
I used Hazardous mech with the guy which reduces damage by 1, or forcefield guy, I don't remember.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I haven't played in a while but iirc the ones who rely on smoke are my favorite and well loved among players. The other teams really are viable though, which is what gives the game so much replayability.

Arnust

Savant

They’re all about as good with one maybe two exceptions, it’s more down to how they align to your preference. You're still "supposed" to go through all of them to learn of all the mechanics; that said, the Zenith Guard (3rd) and the Flame Behemoths (6th?) would be mine, mostly because of how strong can their utility/support mechs be. Rusting Hulks is good but playing in Hard makes their kit a bit under-equipped to deal with the increased amount of enemies, and while their support mech is deceivingly useful, it's not by THAT much

Arnust

Savant
Yeah, they're the exception I meant. They're the most RNG-based off the bunch. I've had best results selling the Vek Pheromones passive and maybe the Judo Fist (it is handy to keep if you've got a free slot as nothing else can move something two tiles over in a single move) in the first shop and getting something else, anything better for the Judo mech to do. Force Amp is almost an objectively better passive, but it's good for anyone that uses shoves at all. Their artillery unit is actually fantastic, however.

Some pilot choices also may help; the Mantis pilot's 2-damage attack replacing the repair can be that something else, and the innate armor makes it viable. Silica on the Siege Mech can also be really, really strong.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Wow this game gets boring fast. Still the same problem with most roguelike/ lite whatever. Procedural generated content is still fresh hot wet shit.

Basically you are still forced to do the same content over and over and over again but with slightly different setups.

All these roguelike games always have cool concept that i kept fooled for over and over and always get dissapointed everytime.

Farewell into the night

Well, it's fun little game to play one, two times a year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom