Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Into the Breach: Advanced Edition - mech tactics game from FTL devs with Chris Avellone writing

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Because it's a lot of work and there is little to gain - mobile market is owned by big titles. It's not PC or even console, where even an obscure indie can become a sudden hit.
Moreover, people play games there while shitting during break in a public toilet. They will not even remember your title.
Handheld consoles like Switch or PSP is a nice alternative though.

Da fuck?

Like 5 people have a Switch.

And they are all playing Legend of Zelda and Skyrim. Everyone has a smartphone.

Indies don't make it big on mobile? Ever heard of Flappy bird?

Candy crush?

Are you from Earth or Bizzaro World?

Arnust

Savant
A lot of the remarkable indies that have been ported to Switch have, by now, completely outsold their original release. It'd be pretty stupid to not take the chance while it lasts, and they knew better. And of course people who'd prefer a portable version are getting what they wanted, as well as the WHEN IS THIS COMING TO SWITCH crowd, everyone's happy. I'm sure that it'll ensue actual content updates if it's popular enough, which it is gonna be, at least as much as the original release, which didn't have much fanfare.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Because it's a lot of work and there is little to gain - mobile market is owned by big titles. It's not PC or even console, where even an obscure indie can become a sudden hit.
Moreover, people play games there while shitting during break in a public toilet. They will not even remember your title.

Da fuck?

Candy crush?

It seems you are in Bizarro World, where the Switch is a flop. In our world, the Switch is a huge success. Maybe check the news sometimes. ;)

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
It seems you are in Bizarro World, where the Switch is a flop. In our world, the Switch is a huge success. Maybe check the news sometimes. ;)
It's a "huge success" compared to other handheld consoles, which is a tiny market.

Youa re dumb.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a "huge success" compared to other handheld consoles, which is a tiny market.

Youa re dumb.
You literally have no idea what you are talking about. It's funny because usually I am the one who does that. But it feels great to see that others can talk out of their asses too. Congrats, you joined the J_C club. May I get you an older lady for tonight?

Last edited:

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron

Youa re dumb.
You literally have no idea what you are talking about. It's funny because usually I am the one who does that. But it feels great to see that others can talk out of their asses too. Congrats, you joined the J_C club. May I get you an older lady for tonight?

20 million units. Much impressive. So sale. Wow.

The Galaxy Note 9, a phone that launched FIVE FUCKING DAYS AGO has already sold 11 million. That's 1, brand new, pretty rare phone (most people won't spend a 1000 dorra on a phone).

Total Android phone sales in a single year is around 1.3 billion units. Now sure, many are shit, third world Chinese shit that's barely good enough to call with.

So let's say 10% of them are decent. 130 million phones PER YEAR. Your attempts at presenting the Soytendo as any sort of serious comparison are pitiful.

Youa re dumb.

agris

Arcane
Patron

Youa re dumb.

The Galaxy Note 9, a phone that launched FIVE FUCKING DAYS AGO has already sold 11 million. That's 1, brand new, pretty rare phone (most people won't spend a 1000 dorra on a phone).

Total Android phone sales in a single year is around 1.3 billion units. Now sure, many are shit, third world Chinese shit that's barely good enough to call with.

So let's say 10% of them are decent. 130 million phones PER YEAR. Your attempts at presenting the Soytendo as any sort of serious comparison are pitiful.

Youa re dumb.

Something to take into account is the rate of app piracy on android. I don’t remember if it was Vault Dweller MRY or dcfedor who said that 90-95% of android installs for paid apps were pirated. Apple is another deal entirely, but this makes sense for why developers always emphasize iOS before android, if any at all.

Full disclosure: I use both, android is for my personal phone, and I’d love to see this and FTL on android.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Google Play Store is filled with so much crap I don't even bother checking it, I can imagine it being a problem for a game to get enough exposure to potential buyers. Steam at least has decent suggestions. Furthermore mobile gaming rightfully so has earned a label of being shit and is being stigmatized. Also how much did the droid ports of Shadowrun sell versus the PC version? HBS didn't bother with porting Hong Kong over for some reason, could be market reasons.

Also touchscreen interfaces are absolute shit, so I can't blame them for not putting this and FTL on Android and preferring the Switch for that sole reason alone.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Something to take into account is the rate of app piracy on android. I don’t remember if it was Vault Dweller MRY or dcfedor who said that 90-95% of android installs for paid apps were pirated. Apple is another deal entirely, but this makes sense for why developers always emphasize iOS before android, if any at all.
Not me, I don't know anything about the mobile market.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Google Play Store is filled with so much crap I don't even bother checking it, I can imagine it being a problem for a game to get enough exposure to potential buyers. Steam at least has decent suggestions. Furthermore mobile gaming rightfully so has earned a label of being shit and is being stigmatized. Also how much did the droid ports of Shadowrun sell versus the PC version? HBS didn't bother with porting Hong Kong over for some reason, could be market reasons.

Also touchscreen interfaces are absolute shit, so I can't blame them for not putting this and FTL on Android and preferring the Switch for that sole reason alone.

ITB actually works great on a touchscreen. I play it just fine on my Surface Pro 4. It's basically a game designed from the ground up for mobile, which you can't play on mobiles.

I'm not saying they should emphasise it OVER the PC version, just why not port it over?

Shadowrun mobile version came out years after the PC one. Everyone had already played it. That's why it sold poorly.

Look at King of Dragon Pass - considered to be one of the best mobile games ever. It originally only came out on PC.

And I'm sorry, are you suggesting that because currently most phone games are shit, no one should release good games for phones? :retarded:

Mark Richard

Arcane

Da fuck?

Candy crush?

https://www.pcgamer.com/indie-veterans-on-the-state-of-indie-games-on-nintendo-switch-versus-steam/

Some articles ran earlier this year addressing the state of Indi gaming on the Nintendo Switch, describing it as a gold rush. The Switch accounted for seven percent of Darkest Dungeon's lifetime revenue after one month. Stardew Valley sold over a million copies. Super Meat Boy and Enter the Gungeon also did pretty well for themselves.

Steamworld Dig 2 sold 'somewhere between five and ten times' more on the Switch than Steam, and that's a new game released more or less simultaneously on both platforms.

Putting an Indi game on the mobile market is akin to tossing it in the Bermuda Triangle and hoping a deep sea diver stumbles across it. So far the Switch's curated storefront allows everyone on it to make good money, whereas on mobile a privileged few like Flappy Bird & Candy Crush make all of the money.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Wasn't me.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Wasn't me.
My memory is failing. It probably wasn’t Dan either.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer

Youa re dumb.

Youa re dumb.
Yes, please continue to compare console sales to phone sales. I'm listening, please go on. But don't forget the most important analysis, compare the Switch sales to the sales of buses as well.
:hmmm:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There are 400 games pushed each day on the App store or android. Marketing on these platforms can get very difficult.

Also, Android forces your game to work on a lot of different devices and screen sizes, and Apple will regularly push upgrades that will break backwards compatbility.

https://twitter.com/corytrese/status/1034889113412018176

@corytrese
"The status of your app has changed to Developer Removed From Sale." one of the toughest decisions I've had to make in #gamedev is taking a game off iTunes because I cannot get XCode and old code to work with new iOS. It really hurts because I know some people loved that game.

Actually, the Trese brothers had a nice piechart showing how Steam was much better than Android and iOS for their games, even though their early games had been Android exclusive before getting ported to Steam.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I eventually got the game on Steam. I like the core mechanisms, but the unlock/Achievement is a big letdown, as it literally encourages you to do stupid things on easy mode to get the unlocks (as you don't need the run to be successful for it to count, and there is no added benefit to playing on hard, except the single: "beat the game in hard mode" achievement).
The game also lacks the variety of FTL. FTL had you try very different strategies depending on the upgrades you ware able to find early on. Here, I find that it mostly depends on your starting squad, as you have very little room for customization.

Self-Ejected

DakaSha V

Self-Ejected
I stopped playing because its a (mostly? cant remember) deterministic puzzle game, and i dont like puzzle games.

Well designed tho

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
the unlock/Achievement is a big letdown, as it literally encourages you to do stupid things on easy mode to get the unlocks

This pissed me off too, stopped playing after a week or so, mainly because of this. Game does have a lot of positives tho, it's just not as good as FTL. Maybe the expansion will shake things up.

Black

Arcane
You're racist against mechs?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom