Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Invisible Inc.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Looks like Klei (Don't Starve, Shank, Mark of the Ninja) is at it again. A trailer just popped up for their next game:

Getting a bit of an Evil Genius vibe from the graphics. Mark of the ninja was a quite pleasant sneak 'em up, so it'll be interesting to see what they can do with isometric, turn-based squad stealth. There's an alpha out on steams for those into that sort of thing. I prefer my games t be closer to release before parting with my jewgold.

Eyeball

Arcane
None of Klei's games have been worth a pint of lukewarm piss. Good presentation, sub-par gameplay. This appears to be more of the same.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Klei are becoming one of my favorite game development studios. I did not like Shank 2 but Shank, Don't Starve and Mark of the Ninja were all good games. It's nice to see a studio trying to make games in different genres. it doesn't hurt that most of them have been really enjoyable.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I liked Mark of the Ninja, found it interesting and short enough to actually finish the game - half of that probably comes from the nice graphical design.

m_s0

Arcane
Looks like Klei (Don't Starve, Shank, Mark of the Ninja) is at it again. A trailer just popped up for their next game:

Getting a bit of an Evil Genius vibe from the graphics. Mark of the ninja was a quite pleasant sneak 'em up, so it'll be interesting to see what they can do with isometric, turn-based squad stealth. There's an alpha out on steams for those into that sort of thing. I prefer my games t be closer to release before parting with my jewgold.

This is just Incognita with a new name
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-turn-based-stealth-strategy-from-klei.86293/

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
None of Klei's games have been worth a pint of lukewarm piss. Good presentation, sub-par gameplay. This appears to be more of the same.

Don't have experience with their previous games, but I got the early alpha and so far this is EXACTLY how I feel on this one. The presentation totally sucked me in, but its not fun to play as of now and I'm not sure what they could do outside of a total revamp. This game has a ton of cool ideas so if it doesn't get better it will be a true waste IMO.

Name change was a plus but they just sprang it out of nowhere.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
Name change was a plus but they just sprang it out of nowhere.

After realizing that its a silly pun I had to totally rethink my stance on the new name

ColCol

Arcane
They are making some pretty big changes, from the update: (http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/35360-surprise-update/)

As a result of the stealth push, the combat has been simplified. Agents no longer have the stats of hit points or accuracy. All hits will kill their targets. All shots are 100% accurate and cover is only used for the hiding ability. As a concession to hit points, some units have armor which requires weapons with the armor piercing trait to effect them.

Agents have movement points as before, but instead of an action point, they now have one "attack". Everything that is not an attack costs 1 movement point. Opening doors, peeking, picking up items, using items. it's all costs one MP.

Enemy guards will react and move into overwatch immediately. It won't be possible to just run past a group of guards without proper planning or use of tools. On the other hand, guards that are overwatching your agents can be bribed. Bribe has not been fully implemented yet, so bribing a guard just puts them into a KO state for the time being. But the result of the bribe will be similar to a KO on the guard, so it works to test the game play.

Angthoron

Arcane
Might be for the best. Combat was very XComey, now the focus would be more on planning, I suppose. Will have to try and see how it works. Bribing kinda makes sense as well.

7h30n

Augur
Status report after playing the new update for some time.

Tl;dr; Overall the update is a substantial improvement and the game is really fun to play.

Stealth is forced and necessary right from the start since the combat is very lethal and you don't have much time to react when spotted. Although I wonder if this system allows for really easy plays when loaded with guns, but I wasn't in a position to amass weapons so I guess it doesn't.
Player actions are now tied to movement points (but it seems to me like some item descriptions call them action points) and every action now costs 1 point, there are no free actions. Attack has it's own special point and is used only to allow 1 attack per turn for character. I guess that's fine, obviously I would be more satisfied with aforementioned full blown AP/TU system.
All characters are now silent by default and run can be toggled as the first action to gain AP. I think it's a bit weird you have to commit to a run right at the start, instead of being just another movement stance which you can mix and match. They probably want to force the player to commit and plan beforehand.

Guards can be tracked through fog of war using the noise, but it's a bit pointless since the game marks their exact path based on noise with yellow arrows.
Visible patrol routes (which will be traversed after your turn) are drawn with red arrows even if you don't see the guard.
Each tile that is in line of sight of AI (cameras, guards, etc.) is colored red which is fine since in most cases you can also see the object that has LOS except in very rare cases.
All this creates a very quick gameplay and you can make significant progress every turn. This all ties into the alarm system.

Alarm system starts at level 0 and after every 5 turns the level increases adding new security measures. Player is always under pressure and must make the most out of each turn. Getting detected increases the alarm progress meter and there are ways to decrease it (although the level itself cannot be decreased).

The remaining two systems are mainframe mode (hacking) and character inventory and skills.
Mainframe mode is a bit changed. Computers now give finite CPU points which you use to hack things. There are some programs which can be used for scouting the map, distractions etc. The big thing are the AI programs which are tied to alarm levels and certain hackable things. They are quite diverse and can be quite nasty. You can disable them with CPU points, but in most cases you can be prepared for them since they are labeled when hacking something that will trigger them. I would prefer if the label remained but without disclosing the name of the program which will be triggered.
Characters have inventories and can exchange items. Certain weapons (sniper rifles) are only usable by a certain character, the rest can be used by anyone. There is also looting of the bodies (enemies usually have passcards). Each character can level up and can acquire augmentations. Leveling grants skills which are permanent passive bonuses (like extra AP) while augmentations are items which when installed take an item slot permanently and grant bonuses on certain actions. Pretty basic stuff at the moment (although the augmentations have more imaginative effects).
Other characters can be hired when found on a level and they stay with you as long as you can pay their fee after each level.

Various enemies were added: psy troops (can psy scan parts of the map), ghost troops (invisible to the player unless close), robots (can't hear but can't be KO-ed) etc.
Most enemy types are tied to their Corporations with unique level styles. On top of that, levels now have objectives like hacking a main server, stealing a USB, uploading a virus etc.

The main problem I have with the game at the moment is the visual clutter. There is just too much stuff displayed. The levels look really good and detailed but it all gets in the way. Although the perspective is isometric I need to do a lot of rotating (fixed 4 angles, like Commandos) to see certain things.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's pretty fun, though it's easy to restart levels if you screw up badly enough.

7h30n

Augur
Yeah, it feels more like a highscore based game. How far can you go without dying.
One moment you are breezing through the levels then in another you can't see the light because it's blocked by thousands of problems. Kinda like real life :)
I'm not sure I like that though, it feels too easy or too hard that way.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Was my Game of the Year when it released. I own it on both Xbox 360 and PC.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/08/invisible-inc-early-access-mods-interview/

Interview: Early Access, Stealth And Mods In Invisible, Inc.
By Graham Smith on August 8th, 2014 at 9:00 pm.

invisibleinc1.jpg

Invisible, Inc. is coming to Steam Early Access on August 19th. It’s developer Klei’s return to stealth after 2012′s Mark of the Ninja, but this time it’s turn-based, tactical, and about steering a team of operatives through a Syndicate-inspired world of corporate espionage. It’s also their return to procedural generation and permadeath after 2013′s vastly successful Burtonesque survival game, Don’t Starve.

I spoke to company founder and programmer Jamie Cheng about why they came back to stealth game design, the challenges of procedureal generation, the right way to do Early Access, and mods.

RPS: Klei have done stealth before with Mark of the Ninja. Why do you like the stealth genre?

Cheng: There’s a lot of really interesting things about stealth that we think we didn’t explore the first time. In general I think that stealth is fun before you feel powerful but at the same time you feel that you’re really vulnerable. We’re also just kind of sick of shooting people in the face or chainsawing. We did that a couple of times, and there’s more to explore in this medium, let’s try something else.

The hilarious thing is we thought, hey, we know how to do stealth now. We’ll do this turn-based thing. As it turns out, there’s three major factors that make this game a lot different than Mark of the Ninja, a lot of different problems.

The first being that it’s multi-agent stealth, and then the second being that it’s procedural, and the third being that it’s turn-based. Those completely change the game in many different ways.

RPS: What are you exploring about stealth this time that you didn’t before? How do those change the design?

Cheng: The most interesting I think is procedural again. I think it’s super key here. We decided to do it because we like to play with that feeling that information is power. That was also key in Mark of the Ninja, but you could play through the game and then you’re done. Here, every single time I play, I still have to be extremely careful. In fact, I often die on the first couple of levels. It’s difficult and if I rush it then I can get myself into really bad positions, but I also know for sure that it’s a completely fair system and that I’m able to be a good spy and put myself in solid positions.

The procedural part is simply a great way for the game to renew itself every time, and I think it’s especially key in a stealth game rather than, for example, if I was building a tactical combat game. Procedural would be interesting, but it’s not nearly as interesting as in stealth where information is actually a huge part of the game.

RPS: Can you take me through the step-by-step of the procedural geneation?

Jamie Cheng: A programmer literally just re-wrote it a few weeks ago. Basically we tried one way and the one in alpha is the old way. And it has some serious problems with it that we couldn’t resolve. Like it was, it was one of those cases where it was 80% there, but you can’t get 100% ever.

RPS: What were the problems you encountered with the original?

Cheng: The original method was that we would have a rectangle and then you start subdividing the rectangle into smaller rectangles. Now you’ve got a bunch of different rooms, so now you want to make some hallways so you start deleting some random walls. That starts making hallways and then you find paths between them.

But what then ends up happening is that you’ll have funny shaped hallways that the game thinks are rooms. It was very hard for the system to know, is this a hallway or is this a room? Because after that, the next step is to add the furniture. What ended up happening is we’d have a desk in the middle of a hallway, and it just makes no sense to have that happen.

The other annoying thing about it that I really didn’t like was that the level was exactly rectangular. It was always rectangular shaped, so you knew that [as a player] you just had to fill in this rectangular shape to see the whole level. Whereas the new system is more interesting; it can have a room jutting out and then nothing around it, things like that. One of the things about procedural generation that’s so interesting is not knowing what path you need to take. So you’re trying to optimise your agents to work in an efficient manner to search through your rooms.

invisible4.jpg

RPS: How are you handling mission objectives? Does the system make decisions about what kind of mission to pair with a generated level?

Cheng: That’s right. So there’s two different kinds of places that we have. Let me talk about the overall structure of the game first.

The structure is that there is an end mission in 72 hours. Your job is to prepare for that final mission. There are all these different places that you can go to, and you choose to go there for the purpose of preparing. There’s a lot of places that you go to that don’t have an explicit objective; it’s loot the place and get out, that’s really what it is.

In those places we build interesting locations, and they have something special in them. So for example one might be a corporate server farm, and with that you can raid their program database and install a program onto your system. You could call that your objective, but at the same time it’s, what are you comfortable with? Because if their security is too hot, you might want to just leave before you get the programs. That’s OK, that’s totally fine within the realm of you trying to prepare for your final mission.

On top of that, we have explicit missions. So for our early access, we’re only shipping with one, because the other one’s we’re still polishing. And there will be a final mission, but it’s a temporary final mission that we have right now. That’s a hostage mission, so you’ve got to get the hostage and you’ve got to get them out.

For that one, it’s still procedurally generated, it’s just that during the proc-gen stage we have parameters and we say that the hostage room has to be a certain distance away from you, which has to be a certain distance away from your final exit. That’s the constraints we have put in to the generation when we’re building missions.

RPS: A lot of stealth games aren’t really tactical, they’re puzzle games. They’re about watching a patrol route and finding the one correct way to play. That can be fun, but how do you provide gradients of success and failure and introduce tactical decision making to a stealth game?

Cheng: I would say that’s one of the fundamental differences between Mark of the Ninja and this game. In Mark of the Ninja, there’s many different ways to approach a problem, but we thought of about 60% of them. Maybe 80% of them. We designed it in a way where we expect people to approach it this way, but they might surprise us. If you die, then you can look at it again and plan your route from there.

In [Invisible, Inc], it comes back to that sense of not knowing, and I don’t know either as a designer. I don’t know what that situation is going to look like. There is no correct solution; or rather, there isn’t a correct solution that anybody actually knows. If I reveal the map to you then yes, you could plan out perfectly your puzzle. But here, instead a lot of your time is gathering information, but if you want to push it – because there is an alarm that’s going, so time is ticking as well and you can’t take forever scouting out. You have to put yourself in good tactical positions in order to move forward.

invisible5.jpg

RPS: Does the player select the types of missions they do in any way, or is it random?

Cheng: It’s not quite random right now. There is a map. The map allows you to choose your locations, and there’s a travel time to the different locations. You’re trying to pick between locations that you want to go to versus how much time it’s going to take you to travel there, because you’ve only got 72 hours.

Each location does tell you which corporation it is. We went through like four different ways of going about the whole system, the whole game.

RPS: What was the original pitch for the game; was it, ‘let’s make a turn-based tactical stealth game?’

Cheng: Nope! [laughs] The original pitch was– I really loved Syndicate. We felt like we could explore something with special agents, a team of agents going around. And we weren’t sure where we were going with that. We tried a whole bunch of different things. We built it out of a card game first, we did a little boardgame about it, it was very mechanical at first. It took lots of twists and turns before it became what it is.

RPS: What did you learn from doing Early Access on Don’t Starve?

Cheng: We love it, that’s the number one thing. We were actually early access before it was called Early Access for Don’t Starve. I guess we’re happy to say we were also first to graduate as well – become Early Access and the first to come out of Early Access.

What we love about it is that it genuinely makes the game better. At least, if that’s the way that you want to use early access. That’s the way I think it should be used, and that’s also the reason why we did the alpha access on our own website. We did that for Don’t Starve as well, where it was available on the Chrome Web Store. Almost exactly two years ago it was already available to play, and so a small number of people would play our game and we’d get a whole bunch of feedback before tons and tons of people bought it.

We did the same thing for Invisible, Inc where we just sold it on our own website, so only the people who really knew about us would be playing it. We could test out the base mechanics to see if that was any good at all before we moved on to the next step. Now we feel like, OK, we have a solid game that a much larger set of people can try out. And we know that a whole bunch of people are going to be like, ‘hey, I’m going to wait until the game is done,’ and that’s totally cool.

invisibleinc3.jpg

RPS: Do you have a plan in Early Access, for how often you’re going to release updates and update the community?

Cheng: We definitely do the planning thing, although it usually it goes right into the garbage as soon as it touches people. That’s what we’ve found.

Yeah, we have plans. We have plans for new agents, we have plans for a new corporation, we have plans for new missions, a plan for daily challenges. We’re not exactly sure how long it’ll take us to build those things. Currently I think it’s going to be around monthly. For Don’t Starve it was every two weeks and that was a pretty intense pace. I also think that works better in Don’t Starve because it’s more agreeable to adding things that don’t quite work yet. In a stealth game, it’s really, really obvious that it’s broken, and it totally doesn’t work. At all. The whole game falls apart if something doesn’t work. We’ve got to be a little more careful about that, and we definitely want the game to be solid the entire way through.

So I think it’s going to be about once a month, but when it hits the public we’ll see.

RPS: You mentioned that you were the first out of Early Access with Don’t Starve, but why come out of Early Access at all? If you’re going to keep adding things, why not keep the label?

Cheng: I think it literally is a game of semantics, but it’s kind of weird to call a game ‘early access’ when– how is it early access? I don’t know. I mean, you can call it ‘continually updated’, but to me early access is literally it’s an early access before any general public should be able to play it. So we had a point where we said, at this point, we think that anybody can come in and they’ll enjoy the game and it will be solid for them. That’s where we drew the line.

invisibleinc2.jpg

RPS: You mentioned when we spoke to you back in January that you didn’t know yet whether it would have mod support. Do you know now?

Cheng: We don’t have it there right now. It’s not implemented right now. That’s about all– I don’t know. I actually still don’t know.

What happened in Don’t Starve was that the game was working, so now let’s look at what other things we might want to do and mod support is one of them. So we went ahead and implemented basic mod support and slowly built from there.

[Invisible, Inc] has taken everything that we got, basically. [laughs] Just to make the game really solid has taken everything we’ve got. Maybe after that, we can think about what else we might want to add, but right now there’s no mod support.

Invisible, Inc. launches into Early Access on August 19th. We’ll have hands-on impressions soon.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Some youtuber got his hands on a preview build of this and did some let's play videos. He's pretty awful at the game, but it looks rather sweet nonetheless.

ColCol

Arcane
Take in mind the coming early access release will differ from those videos. (in the way missions work).

I'm not sure this game will be received too well in the end. The failure rate is too high. In x-com you have groups of people. There was room for failure, room to lose several people or even a group. Invisible Inc on the other hand, two starting party members, each killed in one attack. Lose one and you're pretty much fucked.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I have only dabbled with it a little bit. It's msotly interesting to see how it has evolved.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
I am in the same boat having only dabbled over the time I have I owned it but I am encouraged that it has changed/evolved because the very early version I sampled was a little disappointing.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now it's on Steam Early Access.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970/

How long will this game be in Early Access?

“We have a plan to complete our core set of content in early 2015, and we will be adjusting our plan based on feedback.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“The full version will have a lot more content, including: more playable agents, more mission locations, a final boss mission, more upgrades, another corporation, and more enemies for you to die by.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“The current version includes 4 playable agents, a whole host of programs and upgrades, 3 corporations, a Story Mode, and an unlockable Endless Mode. Even in Alpha, many fans have played for hours upon hours, so feel free to jump in and let us know what you think!”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“The game is $19.99, but during Early Access it will be $15.99.”

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom