Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland inXile's Wasteland 1 Re-Release

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4918

2mmb7cz.jpg

:salute:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Playing the game now, and I already have to redo my party. I picked weapon skills like rifle, assault rifle and brawling but the party starts out with pistols. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal, but I was quite wrong. When I met a mutant dog near the start of the game, I found that my characters were unable to hit the creature with their weapons due to a lack of skill. The two brawler characters were able to punch it, but couldn't do enough damage to pierce its skin. The creature killed one of my characters by the time I hit it for 1 hp of damage. I decided to close out of the game and redo my party.

I'm actually more pleased than mad. I felt Darklands was pretty easy in the beginning despite what I had read about it, so I'm looking forward to a challenge. I think I'll take a longer amount of time rolling for characters in order to get some better stats and invest in some pistol skill points at the get go.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
When I downloaded and played the GOG version, it most definitely did not have paragraphs in the game. I still got "read paragraph 34". And most of the options in the retro-looking config utility didn't work at all.

I was ecstatic about the improvements I got to experience but surprised at the total lack of the other ones / broken ones. Testing before release is a good thing.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's like that thing Infinitron was talking about. :troll:

I just rechecked the thread and the only comment from Infinitron that I saw on either difficulty, the first combat, skill sets, or pistols was this brief comment:

I don't think the game is particularly hard, but the interface has aged poorly. It was already archaic by the mid-90s, let alone today.

Did I miss something I should read or are you just being an illiterate putz?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Playing the game now, and I already have to redo my party. I picked weapon skills like rifle, assault rifle and brawling but the party starts out with pistols. I figured it wouldn't be a big deal, but I was quite wrong. When I met a mutant dog near the start of the game, I found that my characters were unable to hit the creature with their weapons due to a lack of skill. The two brawler characters were able to punch it, but couldn't do enough damage to pierce its skin. The creature killed one of my characters by the time I hit it for 1 hp of damage. I decided to close out of the game and redo my party.
Crowbars are your friends.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Did I miss something I should read or are you just being an illiterate putz?

Nah, just trolling Infinitron for his complaining about skills which are useless at the beginning of a game.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
When I downloaded and played the GOG version, it most definitely did not have paragraphs on the fans. I still got "read paragraph 34".

Click the little book thingy next to that
Gah, Damn, can't believe I didn't see that. That's still a pretty weird implementation though. Why give the button at all? It should, if full paragraphs in game are enabled, only show the whole paragraph, and just have a heading of "Paragraph ###". Having to expand it is stupid. I don't get it. Maybe just limitations of them not having the source code :\

Reminds me of places like Stack Exchange where the New Post button is this tiny hidden thing at the bottom. If we have enabled full paragraphs, display the fucking paragraph, not a shitty link that at first glance appears exactly the samedas the original functionality.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Shrug. All I know is I enabled the paragraphs in game option and it still said "Read Paragraph 34" and that was it. I didn't look for a button or icon because I assumed if it still gave that generic message, the functionality wasn't working. Which I honestly think is the rational/intuitive assumption, but meh.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
I never played Wasteland, but I'm pretty into old RPGs and shit. Is Wasteland worth playing? How long is it?

Made it to Vegas at last, fuck robots.
Last time I played I got stuck fighting furry animals with catapults. I stopped playing thinking the game was silly. Good thing that shit gets serious soon.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
Made it to Vegas at last, fuck robots.
Last time I played I got stuck fighting furry animals with catapults. I stopped playing thinking the game was silly. Good thing that shit gets serious soon.
Actually shit continues to be silly AND serious. One of the many great things about Wasteland.

Bah

Arcane
I didn't look for a button or icon because
Wait, you didn't notice the book icon that looks completely different than the rest of the interface?

That book icon doesn't always show up. I've run into at least two paragraphs with no book icon to popup the text box with voice-over. Unfortunately, while steam has been patched to fix a lot of this, it still appears that the GOG version has not.

Sduibek

Creator of Fallout Fixt
Patron
Codex 2013
I didn't look for a button or icon because
Wait, you didn't notice the book icon that looks completely different than the rest of the interface?

That book icon doesn't always show up. I've run into at least two paragraphs with no book icon to popup the text box with voice-over. Unfortunately, while steam has been patched to fix a lot of this, it still appears that the GOG version has not.
This is probably what happened then. I was playing the GOG version. Considering I've played Wasteland like 50 times, I'm pretty sure I should have noticed a new icon/button thing :P I mean I saw the one in inventory screen that gives manual text. And, I also was just testing the game for less than 30 minutes so I only encountered 1 or 2 "read paragraph blah" entries, so it's entirely possible those 1 or 2 are the bugged ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom