Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by tormund, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Valestein Arcane Patron

Valestein
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Might be able to add weapons and enemies from other build games into this, like the sentry drone from Duke 3D wouldn't be out of place in this (maybe give it a bit of a color retouching), and you could give the RPG (also from Duke) the Ion Fury explosion animation to make it fit right in.

^ Top  
  2. Sodafish Arcane

Sodafish
    Been playing this for a few hours. Fairly decent fun, but very easy, at least on the "normal" level. Should have chosen the next one up.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    I want to echo Unkillable Cat's complaints by mentioning how utterly indistinguishable most of the encounters are. Many fights follow the same routine: there's a room of enemies in front of you, so either go play popamole with the shotgun or start sifting heads using the revolver/crossbow from a distance. Then either before or after the encounter, clean up all the nuisance enemies (Skulldrones and Skullspiders) with your revolver alt. fire because they're so small and not susceptible to headshot damage that trying to hit them with any other weapon leads to inconsistent results. Sometimes enemies are clustered enough that you can afford to use an explosive, but otherwise most of the encounters follow the same routine. How fights play out in one zone is overall identical. The only exceptions are those which are willing to push you out of your comfort zone through tricks and traps or by surrounding you with enemies, but these are rarer than they should have been. Too often can you apply the dominant strategy of "find a safe corner or door to hide behind and then popamole everything to death", and it's because I can keep applying the same solution to many encounters that they feel so indistinguishable from eachother.

The enemy design is equally at fault here. 90% of all encounters will feature the Three Stooges: the brown cultist which has a low-damage hitscan attack, the soldier which has a short-range shotgun hitscan attack, and the red cultist which fires a spread of very fast projectiles. The first two are basically identical, they behave the same and have the same HP, except the latter is a bit faster and more damaging and the red on. The red cultist has a bit more HP, but dies in one shot to a shotgun or crossbow shot to the head all the same like the rest. You approach all three the same way (one shot to the head with the crossbow/shotgun or tag them with your revolver alt. fire) and they force you to avoid their attacks in the same way (hide behind cover or move fast), with the exception of the red cultist because you can actually crouch under his projectile burst. Individually none of them adds a different perspective to the combat the others haven't already, and they could have easily been consolidated into one or two hitscan enemy types like the Blood cultists.

However, Ion Fury also has a grenadier enemy type which on the other hand is a great addition because their explosives can flush you out. It is more preferable to move forward and strafe past an incoming grenade into the open than risk staying in close quarters where the grenade will unpredictably bounce around you. Grenadiers are great when placed in a position where their grenades are likely to bounce around in your hiding place, less so in close quarters where there is very little room to dodge their explosive and you can't tell it's a Grenadier you're dealing with since their sprites are barely any different from the aforementioned soldier sprite. Unfortunately as with many other enemy types, Ion Fury is a bit chicken when it comes to using the non-standard enemy types like these.

You've also got a Fiend expy from Quake 1 which just lunges at you, but it's rarely ever used in concert with the Three Stooges where it could pose a more active threat in encounters, because normally the way it's used is on its own with minor backup where you can just backpedal and oneshot it with a charged crossbow burst. The Skulltorsos who fire a barrage of missiles at you are great in close quarters with no cover to hide behind because they force you to be more situationally aware so you know that you have enough space to strafe around their missiles or even crouch under them when necessary. In wide open spaces this need isn't as applicable when you always have enough space to circlestrafe them. There's these janky-ass dickless tanky mutant cyborgs with flaming heads who teleport around and throw projectiles at you, but they're almost always used on their own where you can just stunlock them to death with your minigun, whereas having tankier enemies be more present in general combat would give you more of a reason to use weapons other than the Shotgun/Crossbow for sifting heads and instead use some of your explosive weapons instead. I suppose the Bruiser Brothers Minor and Warmech Minor are also supposed to fill that role, even if I haven't seen much of them at this point.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Assisted Living Godzilla Liturgist

Assisted Living Godzilla
    You had weird weapon stuff in Shadow Warrior too, like the Guardian Head, this game for whatever reason seems to be completely missing that kind of stuff.

I think maybe the Bowling Bomb is meant to be this games crazy weapon, but it doesn't exactly have the punch of a shrink ray that lets you step on enemies or a decapitated monster head. It has a nice skull explosion, but it's too fast to sell it well.

When I first saw the Clusterpunk weapon I think it was going to be something like the disc weapons in I Come in Peace and Predator 2, but it just ended up being another bomb weapon.

^ Top  
  5. ShadowSpectre Savant

ShadowSpectre
    So I picked this one up tonight. I'm on the third level/map area. It's fun and exactly what you'd expect in a modern retro-FPS game in terms of the look/graphics; it looks as good as it can in the Build engine. I've never been big on weapon variety, since I tend to use the same couple weapons most of the time anyways. It would be nice if the combat shotgun had more of a "kick" to it, as it's a bit underwhelming. The revolver is great and you can double-tap enemies in the head which is fun. Minigun or something is not necessary with the dual-SMG which is kind of the same thing (if only they increased the ammo you can carry, although it hasn't really affected me much so far). The level design is good, but as was mentioned earlier, there are some strange doors that get opened after they aren't even necessary. I would prefer a more traditional close-out on the levels a la Doom, etc. The gameplay seems to be more strafe and fire around corners since the areas are larger. The music is great. The characters lines are alright, but they could have done more with them from what I've heard up to this point (see a previous post about song titles). So far I haven't experienced any slows downs that I've read about for the frame rate. I made sure V-sync was off and increased the max FPS. The game is running smooth so far.

More or less you'll know if this is what you are interested in playing or not before you buy it. It's exactly what the doctor ordered if you like oldschool FPS. Waiting for a sale wouldn't be a bad call either. If you never liked the FPS games from the 90's then I'm not sure why you are even reading this thread and you can go back to modern FPS spawn-a-pop-a-mole #50.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. taviow Magister

taviow
    I've been listening to World Builder nonstop. What a fantastic track.

^ Top  
  7. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I think that all three game are great and its only a matter of personal preference what makes someone choose one over others.

Now I respectably disagree with some of your points.

Recently I went to replay several old shooters including the most famous Build engine games, Duke3d, Blood, Shadow Warrior and Redneck Rampage.

Before replaying them I rated them SW>D3D>Blood>RR.

After replaying them it went Blood>SW>D3D>>>>RR.

All three games have some shitty maps and some great ones, I judge the game not by its worst but by the best part. Shadow Warrior easily has the best map design in terms of visuals and interactivity, but Blood has the best design in terms of combat encounters and that is to me the most important part of a shooter.

Cultists are unremarkable enemy but are well used as a complimentary piece to other enemies.

This is bullshit, Blood has the best enemy roster then any Build game, not only that there are more types of enemies then in other games but they also have certain quirks that really shows when playing on hardest difficulty. Things like cultists throwing bundles of dynamite that can one shot you or hounds being highly resistant to fire damage.

Few games provide such a great enemy roster and used is such a good way that you need to carefully plan what weapons to use and what targets to prioritize when attacked by multiple enemies.

If by underwhelming you mean in terms of visual style then its only matter of preference (sword is the best), some weapons while maybe looking unremarkable (aerosol can) its effects on enemies are quite fun. If you mean gameplay wise then I disagree, on highest difficulty all of those weapons are very useful, especially aerosol can that is perfect for smaller enemies and burning zombies and pitchfork is great against Flesh gargoyles.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    If that was the case, the outlets would be an afterthought and added haphazardly where they fit, not all at the exact same height as if installed by qualified electricians. It would all be a giant mess, not professional workmanship.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    there's just no pleasing you

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Curratum Cipher

Curratum
    As a matter of fact, all enemies in IF have resistances and weaknesses and I found myself switching weapons constantly, perhaps even more so that I did in Blood 1.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Curratum Cipher

Curratum
    Because of the "citation needed" reactions:

Flier drones are very resistant to shotgun shells, however the alt-fire of the revolver takes them down instantly. Spiders are very weak to the SMG. Fliers that shoot rockets and produce purple smoke are VERY weak to the SMG and the ion crossbow.

Bosses are very susceptible to the full-blown alt-fire of the ion bow, where you hold alt-fire down and don't let go even after the multiple shot loading, just hold it for like 4 seconds and it auto-discharges a massive barrage that takes up maybe 10 ammo.

Two of the later, big-threat enemies are very stun-lockable with the chaingun if you have the ammo for it. The cyborg ninjas take a LOT of damage from SMG headshots, you can waste 2 full mags of shotgun shells and still not kill them, while just over half a SMG mag to the head kills them.

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Unkillable Cat Prestigious Gentleman LEST WE FORGET Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Not when it comes to stupidity and supporting decline in general, no.

• retadred x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • (autism) x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. otsego Arbiter

otsego
    YES. I was playing through the second episode last night and had some serious flashbacks to Crusader No Remorse/Regret. Like encountering a familiar scent that immediately triggers an old memory.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. bylam Funcom Developer

bylam
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    in my experience they die to a single focused shot

... which is true for just about everything else too?

the spiders are very weak to everything because they are spiders

also the smg is generally very strong against everything

see above re: smg, and the crossbow point is just straight up fake news - unless you pop them in the head, it'll take like 3-4 shots to down them, which is the same as for a red cultist

• Agree Agree x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Curratum Cipher

Curratum
    You are a literal retard, mate. Certified and stamped. Or you're playing on one of the two lowest difficulties, which is about the same thing.

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    nice try, but i'm playing on second hardest

also you're a certified and stamped apologetic shill for a game that's only just ok

• Shit Shit x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Not playing on hardest? Are you some kind of game journalist?

• Yes Yes x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    Finished the game. It's okay. Now starting a second playthrough on the hardest difficulty, which isn't a meme mode or impossibly difficult or inflates enemy HP, but seems actually well balanced. Enemies move faster which makes landing headshots a bit harder, and enemy placements are actually revamped. For example, the grenadier will appear as soon as the first level, and in much greater amounts. On top of that there's just more enemies in general. Apparently it also has less ammo/health pick-ups, but I haven't really been able to confirm this. The problem I had on my first playthrough is that like with the new enemies in Doom 2, Ion Fury went too easy on the player with its higher-tier enemies. It needed a Plutonia to draw out its full potential, and maybe the Maximum Fury difficulty will deliver on this.

One strange thing I have noticed is that the higher enemy movement speed on Maximum Fury seems to break the AI much more often by having them get stuck on walls or other far-off pieces of geometry where they can't pose much of a threat to you.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Curratum Cipher

Curratum
    The ammo pickups enemies drop don't give you as many rounds per drop, otherwise I think world items are the same.

^ Top  
  21. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    I'm getting increasingly more annoyed with the enemy/encounter design in this game. I don't think I remember ever running into a situation in any other build game where I would have no idea who's shooting me and from where, while here it happens all the time because of the combination of bad audio (silent and nondescript enemy barks and shooting sounds), level aesthetics (everything is TOO FREAKING DARK and brown and grey) and enemy aesthetics (all of them blend into the enviroments, bonus points if they are also posted in shadows or coloured lighting).

• Agree x 4
    • FAKE NEWS x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Use your eyes und memory.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Curratum Cipher

Curratum
    Roxor is just terrible at the game, hence his frustration, much like shillmanlives.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    I've beaten EARLY ACESS version on hardest difficulty numerous times, both streets level and mansion level.

^ Top  
  25. PEACH Learned

PEACH
    They added an additional difficulty level since then.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.