Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The more I play Ion Maiden/Fury the more I dislike it.

Maybe it's me just getting on with years, but I find it very difficult to tell the enemies apart from the environment at mid to long range, and even harder to figure out from which direction I'm being shot at. Then again, I recently replayed Doom 1&2, Duke Nukem 3D and Blood and had no problems with telling enemies apart or locating them, even at range.

Another thing I find annoying is how useless most other weapons feel compared to the starting pistol and its alt-fire. Since the maps feature a lot of huge, open areas, and that the enemies are mostly hitscanning or fire very fast projectiles, you're forced to constantly look for cover, and when you do pop out you only have a small window of opportunity to kill the enemies before they take a big chunk of your health, thus making the pistol alt-fire the most optimal tool to deal with nearly every situation. Other than slowly down a little there's no real drawback to using it.

Again, comparing it to older games Ion Maiden is trying to emulate, where enemy design, placement and weapon selection encourages players to switch weapons all the time depending on the situation in Ion Maiden the weapons feel, sound and look chunky, but there's really no reason to use them when you have a one-hit-kill alt-fire for a weapon whose ammunition is plentiful and easy to get a hold of.

Can confirm some of this.

Played this briefly at a friend's place and (as someone who replayed half a dozen FPS recently) I'm not hugely impressed.

• First of all, there are too many colors. Everything is blinking, flashing, flickering
  • Enemies and powerups blend in with the environment
  • The art direction is all over the place
  • Level design is okay and in the vein of Blood or Duke
  • Most weapons feel feeble
  • Secrets are really good
  • Music is cool, very Carpenter-ish

And yeah, pistol's alt fire should be a powerup, not a weapon.

Overall it's a mixed bag which in addition to the developer being spineless makes this an easy pass.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Do yourself a favor and console command the difficulty down one level.

My autism doesn't allow me to decrease difficulty halfway through a game, sorry.
This is honest advice, Blood really isn't fun for a first-timer on the hardest difficulty - unless they like very harsh trial and error. The sweet spot is the second or third hardest.

Razor

Arcane
There is a weapon function I discovered only at the mid point of the game. With the crossbow if you hold down alt fire and keep holding it, eventually it will offload something like 15 bolts in quick succession. It's way overkill for regular enemies but it absolutely shreds bosses if you get near them.

Last edited:
This is honest advice, Blood really isn't fun for a first-timer on the hardest difficulty - unless they like very harsh trial and error. The sweet spot is the second or third hardest.

I don't see any reason to use official difficulty presets when custom option is available. Why would you ever not want highest possible enemy count? Highest cultist accuracy and aggression, however, can go fuck itself. But nope, gotta soldier on and then write shit like "I much prefer Ion Fury to Blood".

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
You stumble upon a vat with a munster in the making, Shelly remarks:

"This is the worst I've seen yet... This man has no dick!"

(and indeed he doesn't!)

:lol:

someone better call retardera

that's the most funny thing from the entire game

retardera did not reach that point in the game yet

iron fury studio will bend the knees regardless

Last edited:

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
After playing Ion Fury some more, I can say that the game is better as time goes on. No two levels feel the same and the level design improves as well. The Grand Slam secret level is also quite entertaining and you just have to enjoy that music. My only real issue is (despite experiencing no slow-down earlier) is that the Build engine takes a dump on itself during heavy AI and particle sequences (generally, boss fights).

What I don't like is that the company caved into those idiots over at ResetEra though, as is just about everyone else who will actually play this game. After donating our money to a group that are a bunch of political terrorists, I can't say I'll be buying another game from these guys until they get their balls back. Too bad, since Ion Fury is actually a good game.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
After playing Ion Fury some more, I can say that the game is better as time goes on. No two levels feel the same and the level design improves as well. The Grand Slam secret level is also quite entertaining and you just have to enjoy that music. My only real issue is (despite experiencing no slow-down earlier) is that the Build engine takes a dump on itself during heavy AI and particle sequences (generally, boss fights).

What I don't like is that the company caved into those idiots over at ResetEra though, as is just about everyone else who will actually play this game. After donating our money to a group that are a bunch of political terrorists, I can't say I'll be buying another game from these guys until they get their balls back. Too bad, since Ion Fury is actually a good game.
Secret level is worth getting for its theme alone.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Extra Crispy (the hardest difficulty) was specifically designed for cooperative play, so it's better to dial down to Well Done or even Lightly Broiled.
Even on Well Done I'm still RAPED by the cultist :negative: Duke's level 3 is much more manageable.

Can we just agree that Blood is harder than other old-school FPS?

Sodafish

Arcane
I must be pretty near the end now (I'm a couple of maps past the fight with the two robots on the funicular), and I have to mirror the complaint of several others ITT. The enemies are generally very boring and the encounter design is samey dogshit for the most part. It also remains way too fucking easy. Literally the only deaths I have experienced have been from falling off instant-death ledges; no enemies have even come close to killing me otherwise. The biggest threat without a doubt comes from the rocket-spewing floating heads, but even they are easy to deal with once you figure out their pattern.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Is the Gaming Drama sub-forum classed as GD level (i.e. shekels required)?
Oh, okay. Didn't realize all that had its very own special subforum. I'd say Infinitron was an ass for just silently moving that shit without telling anyone, but he does that all the time to fucking everybody, no?

Sodafish

Arcane
Pretty much. You will gain GD access in a few months tho (it is granted after a year of membership). Thenceforth all drama and titty threads will be yours.

orcinator

Liturgist
Game could have used a Hell Knight tier enemy, something you can't just own with the Loverboi's aimbot attack but doesn't always require you to bring out the charged bow and can be mixed in with the regular enemies.
Also the wendigos should have their health cut down and their numbers increased. Replace all those spider encounters with them too, except for the ones where the spiders are in water and can take advantage of the feature where you shock yourself if you swing the baton in the water.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm starting to seriously doubt whether some of these dumbass levels in this dumbass game have ever been given any serious playtesting at all.

Peak cancer so far has probably been the "Tunnel Disturbance" level where I've just had a ragequit.

201908251707171.jpg

Spoiler: There are probably like 3 enemies hiding in that gloom at the end of this tunnel, and you sure as shit won't see them before they start shooping, and you STILL WON'T SEE THEM after they start shooping. Hope you like popping moles or doing double uzi blind fire.

And this entire level is like this. Dark-ass tunnels with dark-ass open sections at the end with invisible enemies on invisible elevations that always get the jump on you. This is stupid. Who the fuck designed this?

But the better question is: WHERE ARE MY NIGHT VISION GOGGLES? AND MY INVENTORY FOR THAT MATTER? HELLO?

Sodafish

Arcane
I had no such issue in that level.

Sounds like your monitor needs calibrating and/or you need glasses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom