Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers - now with Aftershock DLC

Wunderbar

Arcane

UserNamer

Cipher
Given that the devs barely produced any functional, fun enemies, I don't really think they're qualified to make this tutorial! :D

I think all the build games have this in a way or another. Can't really explain it properly but in a doom or quake you can feel a sort of distinctiveness about fighting different enemies, that seems to be lacking to me in build games, you just literally run and gun everything as you tend to be a glass cannon in these sort of games

Ash

Arcane
Uh, but that was the weakest part of the game?
At least for me?
Say what?

It sounds like 90's eurobeat which I guess fits the time frame. I haven't played this game yet but listening to this song I can't picture it fitting in any Build shooters. It sounds good but out of place.

This sounds a lot like Mark "Mad Fiddler" Knight's work on the PS1 version of Duke 3D. I am 100% ok with that.

Ion Maiden's soundtrack is probably the best thing about the game.

Finished it. Overall I enjoyed it, except some parts.

When the demo came out more than two years ago, I really liked it, and I couldn't wait to play it, but they devs delayed it until August of the last year, that turned me down.

I got it at the summer sales, played it, but didn't liked it, just played thirty minutes and quit, and I wanted to prioritize other games. I gave it another chance in May of this year, didn't like either and quit it again. One last chance this month, and finally hooked me. I couldn't stop playing it, the first maps are great.

It's a good game, not as good as Duke3D or Blood, but I found it more compelling than Shadow Warrior at least. (Which I never found the way around, beyond the original setting, the artistic design and Lo Wang, whose awesome, and in my opinion way better than Duke or Caleb, at least their one liners are fresh and more original, and not just stolen from movies)

It's entertaining as an FPS made on the Build Engine, but it lacks that spark of creativity and freshness that the classics had. In that sense, the setting and the design of the enemies feel uninspired, but even so, I wouldn't say it's bad, could be better for sure, but they have their thing.

The weapons, while it is the same as I said before, nothing special except the Bowling Bombs and the dart, at least they are fun to use and satisfying. In Shadow Warrior I never liked the weapons despite their extravagant and original design, I always felt them weak or ineffective, it is the only thing that I never closed off from that one.

I liked most of the maps, most of them are really well done. The exceptions are the fifth zone, with that forest and the sewers, so boring. And parts of the last zone didn't seem interesting at all to me.

What surpassed me is that beyond not being original in the creative part, that they have to included those shitty zombies. Really?. Were they necessary?. What a joke.

The bosses, some are challenging, but all forgettable, and the ending is not the exception, frustrating the amount of hitscans enemies everywhere around the map.

As for Shelly Bombshell Harrison, sorry, but she is pretty lame as a classic FPS character compared to the classics. Although she steals phrases from movies here and there, she is simply boring as a character, to be forgotten.

Conclusion: it's ok, I enjoyed it despite some of the flaws, and for these times, it seems to me that it is worth playing it at least once. I doubt I'll play it again anytime soon thought.

Ash

Arcane
Shadow Warrior has a weak arsenal? Bro...it has a goddamn nuke launcher, the strongest weapon of any build game. Also the strongest melee of any build game. Katana cuts shit in half in one swing. riot gun alt fire fires four shotgun shells in succession. Grenade launcher AND a rocket launcher, both of which wreck everything. Rail gun...I think you have the wrong game friend. Or you just didn't play beyond the first level or two.

Conclusion: play Shadow Warrior next.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Do any of the Build engine tools work for it?
(Or have they released updated tools?)

I remember modding the Build Engine, and would buy this game just for that alone; with the new game being a bonus.

Shadow Warrior has a weak arsenal? Bro...it has a goddamn nuke launcher, the strongest weapon of any build game. Also the strongest melee of any build game. Katana cuts shit in half in one swing. riot gun alt fire fires four shotgun shells in succession. Grenade launcher AND a rocket launcher, both of which wreck everything. Rail gun...I think you have the wrong game friend. Or you just didn't play beyond the first level or two.

Conclusion: play Shadow Warrior next.

Exactly, i admit it. Didn't like that shotgun, i think it was three shots in the altfire. Neither the uzis, even in tandem, i couldn't find them effective, and drains the ammo quickly. And yes, the grenade and rocket launcher are powerfull, but i don't remember how much ammunition were in the levels.

Never catch me as much as Duke3D or Blood, but probably i was playing the wrong way. Gonna give it another chance when i can.

Ash

Arcane
Well, it took you three attempts to get into Ion Fury. Maybe you should give Shadow Warrior another try (it's great).

garren

Arcane
Patron
The rail gun always felt a bit weird to me, because it only gibbed the weaker enemies, but it didn't one shot some of the stronger ones. Good for sniping, maybe that was the point. I also never really used the sticky bombs much, the time to explode was too long. They were fun playing around with though occasionally. Shurikens kinda useless too.

The rest was absolutely fine, the grenade launcher is one of my favorite weapons ever, nothing more fun than to unload it behind a corner to a room full of enemies, and watch the gibs fly.

geno

Savant
Do any of the Build engine tools work for it?
(Or have they released updated tools?)

I remember modding the Build Engine, and would buy this game just for that alone; with the new game being a bonus.
People are releasing maps, new weapons, mods such as no reloading or enhanced radar... AFAIK, Ion Fury's Mapster is updated, can't tell if others old tools will also work, but on paper IF is as moddable as old Build games.

Black Plague

Arbiter
For GOG and 3DR digital download (and big box) owners that haven't been able to install updates to their products yet, there are also stand alone patchers available now that will update v1.00, v1.01, or v1.02 up to v1.1 here:

https://voidpoint.com/public/

In order to use the patch to update the big box version, you'll need to go back to your USB thumb drive and grab the fury-nodrm.bin file from the Linux folder (or zip file) and place it in your game directory. The patcher requires that fury-nodrm.exe, fury-nodrm.bin, fury.grp, and fury.grpinfo are all present in the same location.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom