Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Darkest Dungeon-Like Iratus: Lord of the Dead - Darkest Dungeon clone where you play the bad guy

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by Agame, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Thac0 Time Mage Patron

Thac0
    It has less story in general, but more overlapping systems for long term progression and everything. Also while combat pacing is faster, the game isnt cut up in individual runs like DD, making playthroughs feels more sluggish. But combat is a lot more strategic, your untis will get killed and you need to make new ones with spare brains. This means you are constantly rebuilding your lineup and can radically change strategies, unlke DD which sometimes ends up in you having an A team and a B team which you alternate. Its deece, but it just got a whole lot more expensive as of leaving early access.

Also I have watched Pope Amoles video by now. Cant say I am too sympathetic, there were clearly creative difference and personal struggles with you and the other devs. They all lived in one city and worked by physically meeting, you were an online contractor. You got payed, and you didnt choose to take their shitty follow up contract offer, after their funding broke low and they became dissatisfied with your work. You wished to erased from the game credits and then you complain they dont promote your contributions enough? TBH whole thing just seems like a childish slapfight between popamole and the other devs. Also I am not unsure if you being cut from the game wasnt for the better of it, Lovehammer is dead on arrival and you are beefing with the only and negative review that you have in the steam comments. Also the idea with the comedic tone of the game and skeletons in gym clothes would have been such a bad idea.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Theodora Arcane Patron Glory to Ukraine

Theodora
    At the very least doesn't sound like anyone's hitting it out of the park with a 10/10 addictive formula like Darkest Dungeons where nobody has a negative word to say.

Yeah I'm cautious about buying it because it seems to be so polarising. Deckbuilding appeals to me a lot though...

^ Top  
  3. Thac0 Time Mage Patron

Thac0
    You got me beat by an hour, I lost interest in Deep Sky Derelicts after 4 hours, and I like deckbuilding and card combat. DSD is just not exceptionally good at it. But I like Iratus a lot more, I am on 7 hours currently and I dont feel like it has overstayed its welcome yet by far.

^ Top  
  4. Incendax Augur

Incendax
    I'm really enjoying Iratus. It's definitely not as anxiety inspiring as Darkest Dungeon, since you don't have to manage your stress. But it makes up for that by having lots of fun unit combinations and a modest talent tree. I found myself completely swapping units and artifacts when I go bored of one team, and ended up playing a completely different way in the same run. Multiple times. That was a positive for me.

As an interesting note, you could never "lose" in Darkest Dungeon. You just had to reset the grind.
    You can absolutely "lose" in this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Tried this a bit this weeken (15 hours O_o) and got more fun than Darkest Dungeon. Much more fun.
    Mostly because its much less grindy and I always love necromancy stuff.Only dissapointed with lich a bit but eh, acceptable.

^ Top  
  6. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman No Gods No Kings Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tried it today, and I like it. It does not quite reach the mood levels of Darkest Dungeon (not as good in music and narration), but it might actually be better gameplay-wise, because of less grind (if that proves true in the long run) and constant map progression (similar to Slay the Spire). In fact, I would call it a mix of Darkest Dungeon, Slay the Spire and Return of Werdna.
    I really like the Darkest Dungeon twist of enemies having sanity bars instead of your party. Depleting those is often the most viable strategy, since really fun stuff happens when enemies go insane.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. oscar Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

oscar

New expansion pack out and a 40% sale. Seems as good a time as any to try it out. My finances are a little rough but a less grindy DD where you get to play the bad guys seems up my alley. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2020
    ^ Top  
  8. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    DD got good only like 2 years into its launch. I bought the game this Spring and thought it could be great in a few years too. I'll wait for another expansion or two and then dive in.

^ Top  
  9. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    DLC seems fine, if you liked DD and looking for a less grindy version, this is it. Not quite replayable like DD though, imho Iratus is good for 2-3 playthroughs at most.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Retardo Learned

Retardo
    Played for ~10 hours, and it feels much better (=less grindy and less RNG) than DD. As someone said here, the fun lies in exploring synergies between minions and finding most cheesy combos.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  12. nimateb Educated

nimateb
    Been playing this, very addictive turn based combat

• Fishy Fishy x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Kruyurk Educated

Kruyurk
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Aemar Arcane

Aemar
    Playing this right now. This genre looks boring af.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Aemar Arcane

Aemar
    As one who doesn't like DD at all, I'd say Iratus is worth the price for what it is. Less grindy and more strategic; and also more straightforward than DD.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Yeah, that's what I like about this game TBH.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Harthwain Magister

Harthwain
    Indeed. The grind in Darkest Dungeon was unreal.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.