Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Irrational Games shutting down

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Morgoth, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    It's the case in a shit ton of other industries now, including those that are dominated by labour unions.

The problem isn't the hire&fire model, it's the general incompetence of management, planning, financing and the dreaded crunch-time that comes as a "surprise~" no matter how many hundreds are hired for a given project - largely because of those hundreds, code monkies are actually a minority now. How do you expect a bunch of artists to fix a gamestopping bug? Hurr.

But of course, thousands will keep on applying to companies with shittiest of reputations because they want to be in those "Top 9 companies" that will give them a free pass to life. Or something. It's like WalMart or McD, it'll never end up without employees.

^ Top  
  2. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    "Bioshock Infinite received multi-million sales and a large amount of critical acclaim, but it wasn't enough and the studio had to be closed" is a big story.

^ Top  
  3. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    OT:
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/25/layoffs-hit-god-of-war-studio-sony-santa-monica

https://twitter.com/froughol/status/438447899593412608

50 footsoldiers plus vets let go at Santa Monica.

"The US economy is booming!"

--some Economist Ph.D.

:kwanzania:

^ Top  
  4. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    So much truth here.

The ultimate cool is not caring how cool you are, but gaming journalists are the opposite. They not only need gaming to be recognized as brilliant accessible art everyone respects, they also need to be brilliant journalists everyone respects. "This is an art form, you see! Not just guns and boob armor, oh no, it's like Citizen Kane up in this bitch! Seriously! There's a girl crying in it and everything! Why is there a gun on the cover when shooting is only 80% of the game? I don't know! My sister would like it without all the guns and with someone else moving the character and some of the middle-bits cut out, probably! Don't you see how IMPORTANT this is? And how important I am for writing about it? COME ON LOVE ME."

"Come on love me!" is honestly the basis for 90% of internet writing.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. gaudaost Arcane

gaudaost
    :thumbsup:

Time for Ken Levine to put his talent to good use again.

^ Top  
  6. Caim Arcane

Caim
    That's why I respect the Dead or Alive Beach Volleyball guys more than the AAA cinematic 'moshuns folks: the first group knows very well what they're making and do not pretend otherwise. People want huge jiggly boobs and ass, so they provide, no questions asked or eyebrows furrowed. Just jiggle.

^ Top  
  7. Cosmo Arcane

Cosmo
    Project: Eternity
    Always easier not to fight, isn't it ?

^ Top  
  8. Menckenstein Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Menckenstein

^ Top  
  9. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    You know, there's a point when heartwarming becomes plain creepy. Shlomo was that point.

^ Top  
  10. DalekFlay Arcane Patron

DalekFlay
    Yeah, the whore who acts like a whore is much more fun than the whore who pretends to be your girlfriend as long as the money's flowing.

^ Top  
  11. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    [​IMG]

God don't they have any shame at all?

^ Top  
  12. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :retarded: http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/27/5453626/bioshock-infinite-burial-at-sea-episode-2-1998-stealth-mode

Is this an attempt to cash in on the release of Thief?

^ Top  
  13. potatojohn Arcane

potatojohn
    Someone should make a 2014 mode where you play Ken Levine and you go around the irrational offices telling 175 people that they're fired

• Brofist Brofist x 18
    ^ Top  
  14. Twinkle Liturgist

Twinkle
    All it costs is just a minute now

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Vicky Andhaira

Unwanted
    Andhaira
    Finally, women are taking their rightful place as protagonists in top tier games.

^ Top  
  16. Jick Magger Arcane Patron

Jick Magger
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  17. Morgoth Arcane Patron

Morgoth
    Shut the fuck up Andhaira!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Name Arbiter

Name
    So no more Bioshock or more Bioshock from other studios?

Also I hope Obsidian shutting down like this. I mean winding down.

^ Top  
  19. CSM Cipher Patron

CSM
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    No more Bioshock from Ken Levine. More Bioshock from other studios.

^ Top  
  20. MotherMachinae Arcane

MotherMachinae
    Maybe now another Bioshock will get decent gunfight* and normal plot&story.

*I swear that the B:I guns are much more worthless than guns from first Unreal or HL2.

^ Top  
  21. Jick Magger Arcane Patron

Jick Magger
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
    Pretty sure 2K Games owns the IP, so they'll probably just hand it off to different developers.

^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/6/5474722/why-did-irrational-close-bioshock-infinite

^ Top  
  23. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    It sounds like Levine is charismatic, but at the end of the day not a very good manager.

^ Top  
  24. Cowboy Moment Arcane

Cowboy Moment
    At this point, Levine is probably suffering from a mild onset of Molyneux syndrome - too much ambition relative to talent and capabilities - but hasn't transitioned into the snake oil salesman phase yet. One wonders how he'll do with a smaller studio and presumably easier prototyping and iteration without the chain of AAA content production requirements around his neck.

I do believe I'm seeing a pattern of "creative" people not doing so well as studio heads. Every Avellone needs his Urquhart, I suppose.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.