Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is AI the future of Indie RPGs?

What I am asking is, what is the underlying tech? How is it different.
Well, you probably won't be able to tell how it's different even after it's out, since "Open"AI doesn't usually release such info anymore.

My bet is that it's a Mixture of Experts video model. So, you have the MoE language model tied into multiple video models that effectively work as one to create a final product.

MoE is how all of OpenAI's models are suspected to work. You train multiple small experts within a model's framework. An expert on math, an expert on logic, whatever. They all work together to create a final output.
I am actually a little sad because I think it would be a good thing if anyone could generate video like that. I do not think it will ever get there.
Anyone? Not when it's a closed-source SAAS.

The problem is the value of the product and the fact that OpenAI are currently the only ones to control it. What they said about making it available to filmmakers is what's troubling to me. Makes me think it will only be available with an expensive license, and then only with censorship.

But if the tech can be reverse engineered, as Google and others have done with OAI's text models to some degree, there's the chance the cat could get let out of the bag again, and we might be able to get our hands on a similar model.
If someone proves something can be done then the genie is out of the bottle. Over time others inevitably also find a way to do the same.

However its unclear what, if anything, this is actually doing. It does not look remotely capable of replacing film making.

NotSweeper

Educated
The SORA shit does look incredible, but that's kind of the thing, I look at it and go
Damn, AI really is advancing at ludicrous speed.
doesn't mean I want to go watch a bunch of AI generated videos.
The entire point of movies, books, vidya is the talent and effort that went behind creating it. There's no talent or effort with AI, just technology. Defeats the purpose.
And what's even better is, eventually it'll get to a point where you have no idea if whatever you're looking at, or listening to or playing was manmade or AI made, so human creativity itself will become obsolete.

A lot of motherfuckers are looking at this, giddy with excitement about the possibilities. Personally I think it's time to fuck off to some mountain and start a sheep farm or some shit.

Viata

Arcane
AI can be the most amazing thing, can output better stuff than the shit we are getting today, yet I'll have no interest in it. To each their own.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Cats in bags, genies in bottles.... such cruel people. Leave the kitties alone.

I think it's time to fuck off to some mountain and start a sheep farm or some shit.
What? Goats maybe; them sheep like that tasty grass. If you hate blackberries get a goat + pig combo herd. If you hate mowing and grasses... get sheep. Them mofos eat it to the dirt.

Get cattle for beef or ducks for the quacks (females... males sound broken). Get geese for the ass bitting and honks.

Squirrel

Novice
At the end of the day, the human element is what makes things truly amazing and creates value.

An aimbot can do things no human can ever do, but would anybody sit and watch aimbots having a FPS game match? Isn't it amazing how the aimbot can make the crosshair fly across the screen and land on the dude's head with pure precision in less than 0.01 second? No, it's not amazing. It's actually pathetic.

It's the same thing with AI. Who cares if the AI can write a "good story", because the fact that it is written by an AI, it cannot be a good story, period.

The future of indie RPG isn't AI. It's going to be the same thing that it has always been - talented people. Talented real people who got enough willpower to go through the grind of making a good game.

Krice

Arcane
Developer
I'm waiting for a free AI tool for Visual Studio community, then could maybe try if it can help in programming. If it does, then and only then AI has proven it's useful.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
https://lyssa-goddess-of-rage.com/

This gacha I got an ad for seems to use AI in its art. Not confirmed, but the art style definately has that feel, and the ingame characters all seem to be the same images of the girls and not different poses of the same character or Live2d.

My guess is that the art is done by someone who used AI in his process, but still finetuned it and drew parts of it for consistency.

V17

Educated
I'm waiting for a free AI tool for Visual Studio community, then could maybe try if it can help in programming. If it does, then and only then AI has proven it's useful.
Like a free copilot? There's Codeium, and it's good.
I use it and it's useful for boilerplate, stuff that's inherently a bit repetitive (like processing three channels of an image etc.) or simple functions in general, especially if you use good variable and function names or describe what the function does in a comment. It can also generate okayish docstrings.

You still have to know what you're doing though. For "generate code that does xxx for me", "explain how to do xxx" etc. ChatGPT 4 is still best.

MarathonGuy1337

Educated
Like a free copilot? There's Codeium, and it's good.
I use it and it's useful for boilerplate, stuff that's inherently a bit repetitive (like processing three channels of an image etc.) or simple functions in general, especially if you use good variable and function names or describe what the function does in a comment. It can also generate okayish docstrings.

You still have to know what you're doing though. For "generate code that does xxx for me", "explain how to do xxx" etc. ChatGPT 4 is still best.
That codeium looks pretty useful might have to check that out later

Krice

Arcane
Developer
Codeium seems to collect some kind of data from you. Probably(?) not your source code... I don't like the idea.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom