Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is BGII "old shit" or "new shit"?

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Or does old shit go from, say, Wizardry 1 ------> Bard's Tale ------> To that one Ultima game that was finally in color?

Also, first post, etc.

Phelot

Arcane
It certainly had portions of the taint like the God awful romances, but at the time these weren't plot central points and you could easily get out of such tedium.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
phelot said:
It certainly had portions of the taint like the God awful romances, but at the time these weren't plot central points and you could easily get out of such tedium.

I wouldn't be opposed to romances if it weren't painfully obvious they were written by a tubby Canadian virgin with no understanding of how to interact with the opposite sex beyond what he's seen on Joss Whedon TV shows.

Like, I thought the half-assed "romance" you could pursue with Ahnassi (I'm not a furry) was interesting, plus you could move into her house. "Is my bookshelf okay over here by your litter box?!"

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
BG itself was poised somehow in-between, though it wasn't obvious at the time. It's not quite new shit (NWN went there in full), but it had already set its sight away from the old shit.

Exmit

Scholar
ok < ------------ 2005 ------------> shit

Ps3/ xturds 360 era is the breaking point of shit

Ancient

Erudite
All infinity engine based games are Old Shit.

smokingu.gif

Exmit

Scholar
Ancient said:
All infinity engine based games are Old Shit.

smokingu.gif

you are not witty ,

that pic makes you retarded and not cool

gtfo codex 4channer

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
1985 to 1993 is supposed to be the "golden age" of RPGs. Fallout was the beginning of a new golden age of story fag RPGs but then Bioware came in and fuck it all up. Everything they did was decline, except for Baldur's Gate II i guess (even though the popamole was still strong on that one. If it wasn't for the size of the game and the cool encounters it would still have been shit).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
This is a very Drog-like topic. How do you feel about Arcanum?

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Konjad said:
What the fuck is this shit

Calm down princess. I was just trying to get a feel for time frames. When I think of golden-age for RPGs I think of Betrayal at Krondor, etc.

I mentioned a BioWare game because I wanted to see you guys go all :x

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Roguey said:
This is a very Drog-like topic. How do you feel about Arcanum?

I was one of those people whose Arcanum experience was plagued with bugs. I had CTDs, the whole nine yards. Eventually I yanked it off my machine. But I liked what little of it I was able to play. I liked Troika, too bad ToEE was a steaming pile of poopies.

ETA: I still own it. If it's possible to get it running on a newer machine @ 16:9 without looking like a retard drew something in crayon, I will give it another go.

Lyric Suite said:
1985 to 1993 is supposed to be the "golden age" of RPGs. Fallout was the beginning of a new golden age of story fag RPGs but then Bioware came in and fuck it all up. Everything they did was decline, except for Baldur's Gate II i guess (even though the popamole was still strong on that one. If it wasn't for the size of the game and the cool encounters it would still have been shit).

Nice. Very nice. I concur :thumbsup:

Black

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
Have to agree with this Slav gentleman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom