Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is CD projekt the company everyone can still trust?

• Thread starter Duralux for Durabux
  • Start date

As a gamer do you trust CD projekt?

• Yes (they are good against the bad EA, Activisition, bethesda)

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • No

Votes: 135 86.0%

• Total voters

TheBreadcrumb

Novice
I don't trust them as far as I can throw them, but GOG is the only online platform I can buy games DRM free as far as I know. Download the installer plus other files, goodies and save them on an external hard drive. I suppose you could do something similar with Steam but you need a crack for those. And as for Origin and EPIC Games store, I have no idea. Never used their services, never will.

Quillon

Arcane
I'll continue to have sympathy for them cos they are big and despite that still ambitious but will never believe a word they say from now on especially with their reasoning for CP77's short main story which was: "people found Witcher 3 too long so we made it shorter this time"; trying to preemptively cover their asses for the lack of, linear & shit content by saying "we did it this way for your enjoyment" lmao. Other than that console versions of the game can crash and burn for all time for all I care.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I don't even care anymore. Gaming is fucked but so is most of society. Late stage capitalism is what it is.

Camel

Scholar
CDPR are repeating Bioware’s mistakes and going their way but quicker. Poles also don’t have gaming “journalists” good will like the Canadians had and they got harshly criticised when Cyberpunk crashed and burned.

Captain Sicko

Literate
Of course you can’t trust them. TW 1 was mildly entertaining and a new setting, TW 2 and 3 were shit you couldn’t play for more than an hour before going blind.

Also, you can trust nobody. I once trusted BioWare, I can never trust again. Stay alert, trust no one and keep your laser handy.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Trusting any company is a mistake.

I wouldn't say that, there's usually a window of opportunity when you can trust a company and it produces a few good things in a row (Looking Glass is the supreme case in point, also Troika, BioWare, Obsidian, etc.). It's a pleasant phenomenon, to get excited and have that trust rewarded.

The difficulty is being alert to signs of knowing when to stop trusting them, and then actually stopping trusting them. It's often when the team (the "hunting party", the mannerbund, that did all the good stuff) changes, really.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't say that, there's usually a window of opportunity when you can trust a company and it produces a few good things in a row (Looking Glass is the supreme case in point, also Troika, BioWare, Obsidian, etc.). It's a pleasant phenomenon, to get excited and have that trust rewarded.

The difficulty is being alert to signs of knowing when to stop trusting them, and then actually stopping trusting them. It's often when the team (the "hunting party", the mannerbund, that did all the good stuff) changes, really.
Microprose made (or published) dozens of good games in the 80s and early 90s, and it would be hard to find real turds there, at least until certain point. But that was long time ago. These days IF a company is very successful and grows, you might be burned even on their 2nd or 3rd title.
As to Troika, they made exactly THREE games of which the last was the most popamole, the most oriented towards copying existing market trends, also the worst one. Of curse the worst by their standards still wasn't bad. However Troika did not have a big financial success at any point.
That seems the crucial part. A starting ambitious company as long as is small(-ish) or struggles to stay afloat, there is at least a chance they will make an effort. Otherwise people who made the company becomes rich businessmen not longer interested in creating games and making a profit in the process. Instead they are only interested in making money - the game becomes a tool. It seems that this is what happened with CDPR as with dozens of companies before. The first Witcher was a product of relatively small company run and staffed by people who genuinely wanted to make (good) computer games. After the first two Witchers, it was no longer the case anymore.
In other words: the signs you are looking for is company getting (too) successful and rich.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And once that happens.... reality warps and the old supporters & playerbase gets fucked. It is like they are possessed by the green demon and everything becomes gibberish. They are gone... forever.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Troika is not a good example of a company you can trust. (questionable concept)

They were known for releasing flawed gems. If a game releases in a flawed state, but eventually becomes good after further patching, the customer who buys on release day doesn't get what he was hoping for and may have a bad experience on his only playthrough.

Tyrr

Liturgist
A new low?
gTu8iMJ.jpg

Robotigan

Learned
Witcher 3 had all the same problems Cyberpunk does, so this shit just baffles me.
CDPR always felt kind of skeevy to me. Cyberpunk was handled no different than their past titles. From what I recall, Witcher 2 and 3 were the exact same way. They massively inflated the budget and scope, hired an army of contract devs, marketed the absolute bananas out of the game with gimmicky stunts, hyped up features they hadn't even implemented yet, misrepresented the state of the game in demos, and generally paraded around with the bratty attitude of a le epic gamer streamer. Gamers ate that shit up because they misinterpret professional decorum as corporate deception and find obnoxious gamerism relatable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom