Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is cyberpunk 2077 going to be good

Nito

Educated
Patron
I think it will live and die by how interesting its quests are OP, if CDPR's previous performance is anything to go by. I don't know if this is an unpopular/popular position round here, but I think the Witcher 3 is a flawed game but people remember it fondly (myself included) because of its individual quest stories (and their consequences), and because of its atmosphere. I won't go into what I think is wrong with the game, but I think that like a lot of other games, it's saved by the writing, in this case the character drama. I think if cyberpunk follows that template in anyway, people will look past any potential flaws if those individual character stories are as memorable.

Dodo1610

Arcane
CDProjekt wants everyone to think that this is a GTA game but it's not: you cannot control planes, helicopters, boats, bicycles. The game clearly doesn't have GTA wealth of mini-games and side activities. Most missions even take place inside buildings so the devs can better hide the loading screens. This will be Deus Ex game with a larger open world and the normies will be angry once they realise this.

Nito

Educated
Patron
CDProjekt wants everyone to think that this is a GTA game but it's not: you cannot control planes, helicopters, boats, bicycles. The game clearly doesn't have GTA wealth of mini-games and side activities. Most missions even take place inside buildings so the devs can better hide the loading screens. This will be Deus Ex game with a larger open world and the normies will be angry once they realise this.

I like this optimism(?). I think a first person perspective was the right choice too. People were butthurt when they found out it wasn't third person because they "can't see muh character customisation", but it works far better with the dehumanizing aspect of cyberpunk.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Good point, this could really wreck them during first impressions if all the normies and JooTubers are expecting GTA gameplay with cyberpunk bells and whistles. They really should have been pushing the Deus Ex angle much harder, though of course that would narrow the interest down to, well, the Codex... Does anyone even care about Deus Ex outside of here?

Nito

Educated
Patron

Good point, this could really wreck them during first impressions if all the normies and JooTubers are expecting GTA gameplay with cyberpunk bells and whistles. They really should have been pushing the Deus Ex angle much harder, though of course that would narrow the interest down to, well, the Codex... Does anyone even care about Deus Ex outside of here?
Yeah absolutely, I hear about Deus Ex virtually everywhere. The problem is that immersive sim nerds make a disproportionate amount of noise in game ...fandoms(?) and in game design circles, but as you say, that doesn't really translate well to mainstream appeal. That's why you might market it as more of a trad FPS/RPG than anything like Deus Ex, because that's meaningless to most people.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Also playing a new game is madness. Every game nowadays needs about a year for patches and another year for some interesting mods. Play everything 2 years late and get a much better experience.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Also playing a new game is madness. Every game nowadays needs about a year for patches and another year for some interesting mods. Play everything 2 years late an get a much better experience.
I don't remember encountering any problems with Witcher 3 at release with lame ass office tier gpu and 2007 PC nor there will be any with five months delayed Cyberpunk 2077. It's always the other mostly western games that need another year of polishing. Notorious examples of non-western games being shit at release date are Metro Exodus and Nier Automata though.

Then again, I played New Vegas after 1 day patch just fine...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think it will live and die by how interesting its quests are OP, if CDPR's previous performance is anything to go by. I don't know if this is an unpopular/popular position round here, but I think the Witcher 3 is a flawed game but people remember it fondly (myself included) because of its individual quest stories (and their consequences), and because of its atmosphere. I won't go into what I think is wrong with the game, but I think that like a lot of other games, it's saved by the writing, in this case the character drama. I think if cyberpunk follows that template in anyway, people will look past any potential flaws if those individual character stories are as memorable.

I think Joe Blows also love wandering around open worlds checking off boxes, but I agree it's the story, characters and atmosphere that made Witcher 3 a mainstream (and Codex) hit. For all the bitching in this thread, I'm sure that will be true of Cyberpunk unless there's a dramatic drop in quality. Like with Fallout 3, they'll have a lot of eyes on the product due to previous success.

Does that make it "good?" Eye of the beholder...

NullFlow

Savant
I expect to enjoy it, but more so for its characters, worldbuilding and side stories. I can trust CDPR on those aspects, but from the previews of the game I've seen, I'm ambivalent on the combat, depth of RPG mechanics, difficulty curve, boss battles and itemization. The segments we've been given so far resemble the newer Deus Ex games mixed with lootershooters, and it makes for a fine AAA experience to gawk at the graphics and sheer quantity of polished content I'm sure, but a shallow aRPG.

There's a few question marks hanging over like how well they can handle the shooting and a variety of weapons beyond just swords, whether the choices you take are truly organic, varied, distinct and consequential rather than choreographed and binary/trinary, if the boss battles can have more ways of being solved than just shooting a weak point on their back, and if they solved making equippable loot feel meaningful and not something I want to sell for 300 eddies after it scales off.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Based on info we have, it will be either great, good or bad.

e0a.gif

Cyberpunk is degenerate clown world though so as long as they don't do "progressive" dialogue options like:

NPC: "I AM TRANNY"
1. YAS SLAY KWEEN
2. I respect you
3. Me too
4. We'll bang, OK?
But if they rather give players an option to express disgust or attack them or whatever, then it is fine for CDPR to act like a bunch of woke faggots. If anything it will help make their degenerate dystopia more believable.
as long as they don't overcurrent from the feedback they've gotten that "including ethnic gangs is racist" and make every single baddie into a straight white man.

Duralux for Durabux

Cyberpunk is degenerate clown world though so as long as they don't do "progressive" dialogue options like:

But if they rather give players an option to express disgust or attack them or whatever, then this is fine.
I deleted my post because I don't want to post political things about a game. Because it doesn't indicate the quality of the game. However, they follow the exact same path as Bioware, so it's absolutly not promising
NPC: "I AM TRANNY"
1. YAS SLAY KWEEN
2. I respect you
3. Me too
4. We'll bang, OK?
But if they rather give players an option to express disgust or attack them or whatever, then this is fine.

Dialogues shown in the trailer : Bitch,shit, piss,fuck, son of bitches.
Doesn't sound good. Could be wrong though.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a few question marks hanging over like how well they can handle the shooting and a variety of weapons beyond just swords, whether the choices you take are truly organic, varied, distinct and consequential rather than choreographed and binary/trinary, if the boss battles can have more ways of being solved than just shooting a weak point on their back, and if they solved making equippable loot feel meaningful and not something I want to sell for 300 eddies after it scales off.
...the normal npcs you see and talk to on the street have a floating level tag right next to their floating name tags above their heads. I'm expecting a high level pencil to outdamage a low level bazooka. If you break the intended story progression and visit the luxury/high level district too soon you will get OHKOed by toddlers.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I mean that was all present in The Witcher, CDPR have a reputation to uphold, but also the trailer for Cyberpunk is focused on edgy, seedy, low-class garbage people in an inner-city metropolis. They are not classy people.

Duralux for Durabux

I mean that was all present in The Witcher, CDPR have a reputation to uphold, but also the trailer for Cyberpunk is focused on edgy, seedy, low-class garbage people in an inner-city metropolis. They are not classy people.
I hope you're right, but usually, the trailer tells a lot about the quality of the game to come.
"Insults" aren't a requirement for low-class people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Regvard

Arcane

Yes, because talking to cucks about their teslas in suburbia would make for an exciting game.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It won't be Deus Ex. Yet every time I see the name of this game, a flicker of hope sparks into existence; imploding instantly into an incandescent vapour of sorrow.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
I hope you're right, but usually, the trailer tells a lot about the quality of the game to come.
"Insults" aren't a requirement for low-class people.
They are perfectly consistent and acceptable in the context of "modern" (futuristic) gang culture.
I mean that was all present in The Witcher, CDPR have a reputation to uphold
Like Bioware with Dragon Age?
Do you mean DA:O or DA2? Those are both different scenarios from this game and from one another, DA:O is consistent with Bioware's output to that point. DA:O is much more similar to NWN, KOTOR, and Jade Empire than BG1 or BG2 compared to those games. DA2 is different because EA purchased Bioware and raped them to death before DA2 was released.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron

Yes, because talking to cucks about their teslas in suburbia would make for an exciting game.
That would be a very shitty game but I don't see what that has to do with my comment pointing out that Cyberpunk 2077 is not meant to be a game where you do that.

Duralux for Durabux

They are perfectly consistent and acceptable in the context of "modern" (futuristic) gang culture.
Yeah you're right. It tells a lot about our society and the society to come though.
Do you mean DA:O or DA2? Those are both different scenarios from this game and from one another, DA:O is consistent with Bioware's output to that point. DA:O is much more similar to NWN, KOTOR, and Jade Empire than BG1 or BG2 compared to those games. DA2 is different because EA purchased Bioware and raped them to death before DA2 was released.
I mean after DA1, Bioware thought DA2 was the perfect sucessor to DA1. I have the feeling that Cyberpunk 2077 will be as dissapointing as DA2.

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
Yeah you're right. It tells a lot about our society and the society to come though.
That's the whole point.
I mean after DA1, Bioware thought DA2 was the perfect sucessor to DA1. I have the feeling that CDPR will pull out the same level of decline like DA2.
EA thought DA2 was the perfect successor to DA1 because they could slap it together in a year, and make a quick cashgrab buck.
Whatever your opinion on this game, CDPR are not slapping it together for a quick buck, it will at the very least be the product of a lot of labor. DA2 is a terrible analogy for this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom