Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Dark Souls overrated?

sullynathan

Arcane
Nowhere is he saying game's too hard. Just he doesn't like it. Grow up nerds.
he's implying that he got as far as the first boss but whatever

The gunsmith is never the best marksman.

Though that makes hard to trust these people with their upcoming games, at least as far as them designing satisfying non-bullshit challenges. I would be really surprised to find out devs of Dark Souls are shit players.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I remember fighting the stray demon and almost killing him the first time I fought him. But when he did his flying move, he flew from one side of the room to the other and I couldn't sprint fast enough to get behind him before his explosion attack hit me.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I didn't even find a way back to the Asylum on my own. I found the crow's nest, curled in a ball but nothing was happening so I thought maybe I gotta have a quest item on me or something and fucked off. Never occured to me you have to wait for like a minute. How did people even figured that out? Godamned Myiazaki man.

Cadmus

Arcane
I didn't even find a way back to the Asylum on my own. I found the crow's nest, curled in a ball but nothing was happening so I thought maybe I gotta have a quest item on me or something and fucked off. Never occured to me you have to wait for like a minute. How did people even figured that out? Godamned Myiazaki man.
I actually did it on my own just by waiting to see what would happen because it seemed like something was supposed to happen :)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You can just circle around him and slap him on his butt cheeks until he drops. Easiest boss ever.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
People say Demon'sS was awesome, and I agree, but I guess about 60% of its content is hidden behind the tendency mechanics which resets when you quit. Have people figured out a way of effectively manipulating it? I haven't met half of the NPCs in my two playthroughs.

Tripicus

Augur
People say Demon'sS was awesome, and I agree, but I guess about 60% of its content is hidden behind the tendency mechanics which resets when you quit. Have people figured out a way of effectively manipulating it? I haven't met half of the NPCs in my two playthroughs.
Being offline in its entirety will help with that, although I've had drifts and resets even then.

I tried two to three times to get pure white on latria, but for some reason it always drifted a step away even offline. Never had many issues with the other areas.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

If you want to get White tendency for a certain area then you can go to the Nexus and kill yourself there (if you have your body) and you aren't confident enough that you can beat the area and boss without dying. Dying with your body shifts the tendency toward Black, but dying without your body does nothing. Killing bosses shifts the tendency toward White. If you want Black tendency then just keep suiciding; use Stone of Ephemeral Eyes to get your body back and suicide again, until you get full Black tendency. This is the easiest way to manipulate tendencies. There are other variables to keep in mind. Killing Black Phantoms gives a shift toward White and killing Body formed NPCs shifts toward Black, even if they are evil NPCs like Satsuki.

Gerrard

Arcane
Witcher 3 combat is shit.
But Souls combat is great.
Because they are completely different.

My favorite meme.

Perkel

Arcane
It isn't. Just ton of newfags who claim it is jesus because they never played any hard game before that had well designed areas and combat.

Personally what i love about souls series is level design. Aside from DS2 every one of them has absolutely fantastic level design. Monster design and ecnonter design is just cherry on cake.

Playing currently DS3 and level design probably is best in series as well as monster design. Though this opinion may change because i am yet to beat game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Claiming Witcher 3 combat is on par with Souls combat? Never mind the vast itemization in Souls games? I'm glad that dumbfuck Gerrard has me on ignore.

Lord Romulus

Arcane
I don't know how so many people, like famous Youtubers say they don't like Dark Souls 3 when they give up on the game after beating Iudex Gundyr or reaching the early parts of the high wall. A huge part of Souls series is exploring new areas, seeing new enemies, finding new weapons, going from from a dinky sword to over the top and impractical anime weapons like hammers the size of book cases and swords that shoot lasers. Of course these people aren't going to like a Souls game when they give up while still using their unupgraded starting equipment and haven't seen any non-boss enemies besides the same hollow soldiers.

There's a lot to complain about in Souls games, but a lot of people just flail around like retards for an hour to the tutorial boss without even learning the basic controls and just give up afterwards with some lame excuse like "I'm not a masochist!".

Llama-Yak Hybrid

Wild Sheep
Dumbfuck
It's shit for retarded console popamollers to think they're hardcore cuz they've beaten it. Lol so hard omg.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
^ We need a Diagnosis: Retarded icon. Anyone who thinks Witcher 3 combat is anywhere near the level of Souls... I just... how many different weapons are there in Witcher games? Maybe ten? And most if not all of them are swords? How many attacks are there? Guessing three or four at most.

Last edited:

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The Witcher system allows you to use signs in different ways. It's actually p. subtle. It also is in a completely different ballpark from the Souls series, player skill matters a lot less.

Perkel

Arcane
The Witcher system allows you to use signs in different ways. It's actually p. subtle. It also is in a completely different ballpark from the Souls series, player skill matters a lot less.

I would kill for sidestep from TW3 being in DS3. Quick sidestep into left or right side of enemy is way better than rolling in circle or out.
This would really help with group battles.

boot

Prophet
Dark Souls is shit. Dragons Dogma is the chosen one that will take back his birthright on the appointed day and cast Dark Souls into the lake of fire.

Last edited:

Declinator

Arbiter
Dragons Dogma is the chosen one that will take back his birthright on the appointed day and cast Dark Souls into the lake of fire.
Dragon's Dogma didn't satisfy the same craving as Dark Souls did. I think they are very different games and I'd rather compare something like Ninja Gaiden or DMC to Dark Souls than Dragon's Dogma even though many feel that they too are incomparably different. DD is closer to the RPG side of things on the action RPG scale.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom