Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Dark Souls overrated?

Llama-Yak Hybrid

Wild Sheep
Dumbfuck
^April fools indeed

The game is shit and you're just :butthurt:

HEY MAN I HAVE AN IDEA LET'S MAKE A GAME

GREAT IDEA MAN

3 MONTHS LATER...

MAN THE GAME IS SHIT, UNRESPONSIVE, NETCODE IS SHIT, HITBOXES ARE SHIT

LELELE LET'S MARKET IT AS "HARDCORE GAME FOR HARDCORE GAMERS SUCH AS MYSELF" IT WILL WORK

MAN, YOU ARE GENIUS

And you ate this shit and thought it's great.

Mozg

Arcane
Dragons Dogma is the chosen one that will take back his birthright on the appointed day and cast Dark Souls into the lake of fire.
Dragon's Dogma didn't satisfy the same craving as Dark Souls did. I think they are very different games and I'd rather compare something like Ninja Gaiden or DMC to Dark Souls than Dragon's Dogma even though many feel that they too are incomparably different. DD is closer to the RPG side of things on the action RPG scale.

Only in that it has hard RPG limits like enemies that you literally can't hurt with low powered weapons and skills. The core mechanics could easily be made into a very good pure action game, or an 80/20 action-to-RPG ratio game like Dark Souls if they flattened the fuck out of the power curve. DD just isn't very well curated in terms of challenge, which is what DS does very well. The initial plan was obviously to make Oblivion or Skyrim with good core action mechanics instead of amateur shit - games where difficulty is 100% decided by the player and you have similar idiotic mechanics like going into your inventory to instantly drink potions.

I don't know how so many people, like famous Youtubers say they don't like Dark Souls 3 when they give up on the game after beating Iudex Gundyr or reaching the early parts of the high wall. A huge part of Souls series is exploring new areas, seeing new enemies, finding new weapons, going from from a dinky sword to over the top and impractical anime weapons like hammers the size of book cases and swords that shoot lasers.

Pretty much this. It's for the same reason these youtubers cut their videos into clips, where they basically never pause when they are talking. Otherwise they wouldn't keep the attention of their viewers, who have the attention span of a goldfish. Dark Souls need dedication and experimentation to play. Both in exploring areas for loot and dying or losing hp and time to certain enemies and bosses to get a handle on their movesets .

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I don't know how so many people, like famous Youtubers say they don't like Dark Souls 3 when they give up on the game after beating Iudex Gundyr or reaching the early parts of the high wall. A huge part of Souls series is exploring new areas, seeing new enemies, finding new weapons, going from from a dinky sword to over the top and impractical anime weapons like hammers the size of book cases and swords that shoot lasers.

Pretty much this. It's for the same reason these youtubers cut their videos into clips, where they basically never pause when they are talking. Otherwise they wouldn't keep the attention of their viewers, who have the attention span of a goldfish. Dark Souls need dedication and experimentation to play. Both in exploring areas for loot and dying or losing hp and time to certain enemies and bosses to get a handle on their movesets .

In Dark souls 3 a lot of enemies are cheating cunts.. so it can be frustrating to people who want a -FAIR MATCH-.
But.. Yea I agree with you.

In Dark souls 3 a lot of enemies are cheating cunts.. so it can be frustrating to people who want a -FAIR MATCH-.

Only in your first playthrough. 2nd was a fucking cakewalk for me.

sullynathan

Arcane
I did the wrong thing by going to Angry Joes channel. I keep finding that a lot of people that dislike/ think DS is overrated really like The Witcher. Some also think side-step in inherently better than rolling.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Only in your first playthrough. 2nd was a fucking cakewalk for me.

I wasn't saying it was my opinion necessarily. I actually think the design is very well done.

If From wanted to create a perfect phantom that had completely fair stats with stamina and health and just had perfect AI that allowed it to parry perfectly every hit and land every roll back stab / kick.. it would completely destroy every DS player easily.. that would be actually very easy to do.

The challenge comes from making opponents that seem strong and intelligent who also make mistakes the player can capitalize on. In that world.. bosses need to cheat sometimes to make up for their intended stupidity so the player is forced to stay consistent and is constantly on their toes.

My point was only... I could understand why some players feel disenfranchised about enemies 'cheating' - even if I disagree.

Story-fags like Witcher because MUH IMMERSHUN.

I think the DS franchise has an amazing delivery of story for all the reasons I feel PoE is hamfisted. Obsidian couldn't wait to jam their bullshit down your throat whereas Dark Souls series is almost sheepishly timid about telling you anything. You experience the world and their characters.. if you want to learn more.. you have to dig it up.

Obsidian should play a few Dark Souls games and take out their notepad and pen.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I think they do, they are big fans.

But they haven't put the lessons into practice, yet.

Guys I'm thinking of getting Dark Souls 1 on steam to play with Kb and mouse. I tested it tonight and it worked great but I still want cloud save and achievements. I can't play DS3 on my rig and I rather play the first then the second.
Is online really a huge deal in the game? Summoning ghosts to help me on bosses is still a thing? My question is should I buy it or play it cracked.Lol! Although I'm not into playing pirated games, the last one was Fallout 4.

sullynathan

Arcane
Guys I'm thinking of getting Dark Souls 1 on steam to play with Kb and mouse. I tested it tonight and it worked great but I still want cloud save and achievements. I can't play DS3 on my rig and I rather play the first then the second.
Is online really a huge deal in the game? Summoning ghosts to help me on bosses is still a thing? My question is should I buy it or play it cracked.Lol! Although I'm not into playing pirated games, the last one was Fallout 4.

yeah, there is always between 1k - 5k people online at all times plus the servers just got back up. Get DSFix for better performance and Dark souls connectivity mod and wulfs mod for better connection.

Perkel

Arcane

yeah, there is always between 1k - 5k people online at all times plus the servers just got back up. Get DSFix for better performance and Dark souls connectivity mod and wulfs mod for better connection.

ds region filter is a must.

Egosphere

Arcane
giving ds2 a second shot. rage quit it years ago because of the wonky combat.
It's not really that great, but I'll persevere. I want to see the dlc.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
I preferred the arena style of Demon souls making it that sort of open world with slow ass movement made it dull to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom