Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Is "dungeon crawler" the new "roguelike"?

Do you notice this trend?

• Definitely; this is very clear!

• This might be happening.

• This isn't happening!

• kingcomrade

Results are only viewable after voting.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
As of lately, I've noticed a lot of games that are not even RPGs are calling themselves "dungeon crawlers" because they have dungeons in them. Regardless of what you think of it, has anyone else noticed this trend and what do they think of it?

LordofSyn

Scholar
Dungeon crawlers as a tag is difficult to pin down. As a genre, the entire game needs to be in endless dungeons.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

LordofSyn

Scholar
Maybe it's trying to be a clever marketing plea, or it's some devs that are confused. Idk

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk

orcinator

Liturgist
rating_citation.png

Only game like that I can think of is Dungeon Rats.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Have seen a few dungeon crawlers but they all look like they're trying to cash in on the people looking for a Grimrock experience. Roguelite / "roguelike" is still the darling genre as far as I can tell.

Viata

Arcane
To be honest, every thing is "some genre" right now because they just say "this is [selling genre here]" so people buy it on steam.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Like a lot of words in history the words meaning have simply transitioned?

It is now literally dungeon crawler, as in games which gameplay mainly consist of player character(s) exploring and killing monster inside a dungeon instead of older RPG related meaning (which is basically blobber isn't it?)

Delterius

Arcane
There has always been a generic nomer of the 'dungeon crawling experience'. As in, Icewind Dale has good 'dungeon crawling' as compared to the BioWare IE games. From that to 'this is dungeon crawler because dungeons' isn't that big of a leap. Roguelike is a bit more obscure. The word isn't descriptive by itself unless you know what Rogue is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom