Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout the best game of all time?

Is Fallout the best game of all time?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Trashos

Arcane
There are things that Underrail does better than Fallout, but Underrail wouldn't have existed without Fallout.

I 'd say that Fallout is the most influential game of all time with regards to games I enjoy.

Curratum

It's really really simple. There exists a holy quaternity of games that are all together the best things produced in digital entertainment and those four games are, in chronological order of release, Doom 2, Thief 2, Baldur's Gate 2 and Witcher 3. I don't see Fallout anywhere among those, so the short answer to your question is "No".

No, the best game of all time is King of Dragon Pass.

There's nothing quite like it and yet there's nothing about it that needs to be added, removed or fixed.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Or why hasn't the fan patches removed that option?

If you really want to give it a try, sfall offers this option. You can choose between completely disabling saving in combat or being allowed to save only at the start of your turn (full AP).

I doubt this improves combat itself, though. Underrail has better combat because it has much more tactical options.

Not being able to save in Fallout just means that you'll just have to replay the whole combat again.
But anyway, I don't really remember save-scumming Fallout's combat. Way too easy. As opposed to Underrail.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thief: The Dark Project is the best game of all time.
/thread
The Metal Age is better.
I was contemplating about them for a time, they are neck to neck overall, but I actively despise the final level of Metal Age. It is just bland, and it is not fun just going up against those robots, which immediately kill you with bombs.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
These are best Fallouts:

images.akamai.steamusercontent.com_.jpg

el8px1.jpg

2a4b2e8288a76396b0072f97a2deae2b.jpg

iu

iur

iur

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

If you really want to give it a try, sfall offers this option. You can choose between completely disabling saving in combat or being allowed to save only at the start of your turn (full AP).

I doubt this improves combat itself, though. Underrail has better combat because it has much more tactical options.

Not being able to save in Fallout just means that you'll just have to replay the whole combat again.
But anyway, I don't really remember save-scumming Fallout's combat. Way too easy. As opposed to Underrail.

If you didn't save scum you avoided the larger battles. Did you kill all the army that kidnapped the girl from the beginning town? If you did you save scummed. Period. Or you did the fight a million times and got really lucky on the millionth time by dodging a thousand bullets and making a thousand hits. I killed the army because with save scumming nothing is impossible.

If you skipped that, and every major battle that required save scumming, good for you. I didn't.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, a reload here and there... is that really save-scumming?
When I'm thinking save-scumming I'm thinking more like doing repeatedly like with stealing.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If you skipped that, and every major battle that required save scumming, good for you. I didn't.

But anyway, if those battles required reloading/save-scumming, what would you have done if you were not allowed to save, besides starting over the whole combat? How would that have made it better?
It would have made you be more careful and think more about what you do, that's true, but Fallout doesn't have the tactical options of Underrail to allow you to do wildly different things in the same situation.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

But anyway, if those battles required reloading/save-scumming, what would you have done if you were not allowed to save, besides starting over the whole combat? How would that have made it better?
It would have made you be more careful and think more about what you do, that's true, but Fallout doesn't have the tactical options of Underrail to allow you to do wildly different things in the same situation.

Starting over wouldn't have worked. Those battles were mathematically impossible. I would have had to skip them. Maybe come back much later?

I'm starting to think I didn't play the same game as you guys, but I've had a bunch of different copies over the years. Does no one remember the very start of FO? The girl that fucks you for free when you save her in the first town? The army that kidnapped her? Am I the only one that kills the bad guys in games?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No, Fallout is not the best game of all time, because Star Control 2 is the best game of all time.

Thread over.

Master

Arbiter

If you didn't save scum you avoided the larger battles. Did you kill all the army that kidnapped the girl from the beginning town? If you did you save scummed. Period. Or you did the fight a million times and got really lucky on the millionth time by dodging a thousand bullets and making a thousand hits. I killed the army because with save scumming nothing is impossible.

I just died a couple of times and came back later.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
It's easily my favorite RPG along with Arcanum and to a slightly lesser extent fallout 2.

As for favorite all time? Not sure, maybe one of the total war games for me since I really like strategy.

"Best" is subjective and usually an argument reserved for idiots, unless the game in question is something that actually sucks beyond reason. Like NWN or Pillars of eternity.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
If you didn't save scum you avoided the larger battles. Did you kill all the army that kidnapped the girl from the beginning town?.

It's called an SMG. Personally I could kill the raiders without save scumming probably 4/5 times. Obviously sometimes you get hit with a crit that can't be helped.

Also fallout doesn't have shitty respawning enemies you need you kill over and over. *cough* DEEP CAVERNS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom