Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Is Fallout the best game of all time?

Is Fallout the best game of all time?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
PS:T has better writing, characters, and a setting that's at the very least on par with Fallouts
In general I agree, but the final villain of Planescape left me feeling quite disappointed. Its sole motive seemed to be to continue existing, which was much less interesting than The Master.

Master

Arbiter
If you didn't save scum you avoided the larger battles. Did you kill all the army that kidnapped the girl from the beginning town?.

It's called an SMG. Personally I could kill the raiders without save scumming probably 4/5 times. Obviously sometimes you get hit with a crit that can't be helped.

Also fallout doesn't have shitty respawning enemies you need you kill over and over. *cough* DEEP CAVERNS
You could take Ian too. Still, "the army" is pretty tough.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
If you didn't save scum you avoided the larger battles. Did you kill all the army that kidnapped the girl from the beginning town?.

It's called an SMG. Personally I could kill the raiders without save scumming probably 4/5 times. Obviously sometimes you get hit with a crit that can't be helped.

Also fallout doesn't have shitty respawning enemies you need you kill over and over. *cough* DEEP CAVERNS
You could take Ian too. Still, "the army" is pretty tough.

I mean it's not easy, when I was a kid I used to go back to kill the raiders late in the game after I got metal armour and other stuff. Later on I started taking them out after vault 15. With an smg it's not bad.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
42737-arcanum-of-steamworks-magick-obscura-windows-front-cover.jpg

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Not even close. It was a great experience but had many downsides, even back in the day. Most of us RPG fans revere it because it is a perfect example of what an RPG *IS* as a type of game. We are living in a world where everything is termed "RPG" these days, we are close to naming Super Mario games RPGs at this point (yeah, i know mario jrpgs already exist that was not the point). So having a clear-cut example of a tru-RPG is important, plus the setting was cool AF. Plus, a true RPG with *GUNS*. Not exactly common place...

For these reasons Fallout will always remain a classic but best game of all time? No way. And it does not have to be. A game does not have to be the best in order to be memorable, classic, and worth a playthrough.

Fallout scratches the itch of a lot of people here: it's very much a stat based RPG in the traditional sense, your character's stats determine the outcome of various actions, and there are a lot of different approaches possible to most situations based on your character's stats.

But while that can be fun and interesting in a way, it also exposes the biggest flaw with purely stat driven gameplay: it's quite dull. Since it's the character's stats and not the player's skills that determine the outcomes, the resulting gameplay is pretty much a series of stat checks. There are almost no actual tactics needed in combat, it's just a comparison of your skills/perks/weapons vs the enemy (an abstract stat check). Likewise, in dialogue, it's a bunch of stat checks, and so on. There is a little bit of active gameplay due to environment interactivity, but that's about it.

So add to that the modestly sized maps with loading zones, the outdated graphics (even back in the day), the simplistic story (though a very cool setting), and the overall result isn't as great as people will try to have you believe here. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fun game, and one of my all-time favorites, but let's not get carried away.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Fallout scratches the itch of a lot of people here: it's very much a stat based RPG in the traditional sense, your character's stats determine the outcome of various actions, and there are a lot of different approaches possible to most situations based on your character's stats.

But while that can be fun and interesting in a way, it also exposes the biggest flaw with purely stat driven gameplay: it's quite dull. Since it's the character's stats and not the player's skills that determine the outcomes, the resulting gameplay is pretty much a series of stat checks. There are almost no actual tactics needed in combat, it's just a comparison of your skills/perks/weapons vs the enemy (an abstract stat check). Likewise, in dialogue, it's a bunch of stat checks, and so on. There is a little bit of active gameplay due to environment interactivity, but that's about it.

So add to that the modestly sized maps with loading zones, the outdated graphics (even back in the day), the simplistic story (though a very cool setting), and the overall result isn't as great as people will try to have you believe here. Don't get me wrong, it's still a fun game, and one of my all-time favorites, but let's not get carried away.

Well, true RPGs aren't mainstream. They never were. They are supposed to be "dull", they are after all micro-strategy games essentially. Every RPGer is just a strategy gamer, the difference being that instead of controlling a whole army or nation or club or whatever, you are controlling a single person or a small party at best. That is what an RPG is. If people find it "dull", then fine, they are not RPG fans. And that's ok, remember, RPGs aren't supposed to be mainstream.

I would add though that in strategy games, there is a complexity that arises out of sheer scale, and that complexity requires player skill to manage. RPGs lack that, being set on a much smaller scale. That's why playing something like Europa Universalis IV is interesting without much of a preset story, whereas imagine playing Fallout without story...

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I would add though that in strategy games, there is a complexity that arises out of sheer scale, and that complexity requires player skill to manage. RPGs lack that, being set on a much smaller scale. That's why playing something like Europa Universalis IV is interesting without much of a preset story, whereas imagine playing Fallout without story...

I never said that RPGs are *just* smaller in scope strategy games. I said they are similar in a sense that you are controlling an avatar with stats instead of assuming direct control of the player character through your skill.

Obviously RPGs are about experiencing a story, after all, without a story, C&C, a persistent universe in which the story revolves etc, they would be just "tactics" games...

Machocruz

Arcane
Contenders if talking about games in general (and I'll keep it PC, although I have a couple of console games I think are definitely contenders)

Sid Meier Alpha Centauri
Jagged Alliance 2
Deus Ex
Thief 1 or 2
System Shock 2
Doom 1 or 2
UFO Defense

Theldaran

Liturgist
GOAT would be Goat simulator a harsh fight in the mud between Master of Orion 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 3. The late 90s is as heavenly as gaming gets. Just saying.

Mortmal

Arcane
Nope best game of all time is still 1993 xcom. Although i'd put rimworld and ck2 as close contender.

Theldaran

Liturgist
The games I listed are everything a player needs. Great addiction, the mark of a great game.

They also happen to be strategy. Apart from that Halo Wars game, we haven't seen anything like that lately. Makes one wonder what the possibilities would be for such a title with modern tech.

Trashos

Arcane

The graphics, animations, and art in general, are mesmerizing. The atmosphere is fantastic. Noone can touch the early Fallouts in these aspects, but then again taste in art be very subjective.

The story/setting is GENIUS. Simple, but extremely effective, inspiring, and memorable. And the themes are relevant to everyone with a seeking brain.

jungl

Augur
underrail completely different then fallout. DnD third edition like rule set for it with its feats turns off tons of people who enjoyed the simplicity of fallouts rule set.

The graphics, animations, and art in general, are mesmerizing. The atmosphere is fantastic. Noone can touch the early Fallouts in these aspects, but then again taste in art be very subjective.

The story/setting is GENIUS. Simple, but extremely effective, inspiring, and memorable. And the themes are relevant to everyone with a seeking brain.

Sorry, man, but you are looking at it through pink goggles and possible conflating story with setting/lore. I love the setting and the lore, it is brilliant, but the story itself is borderline retarded. Think about it, your vault is on the verge of losing water, the most valuable thing in the world from the survival perspective. So what do they do? Send out one dude, and not a large team as would've been done in real life. To do what? Find an alternate water source or some resources to build/engineer a new system? This would be logical, but no, to send you looking for the exact part, which probability wise is probably the worst thing to do. The only places that would have them are other vaults, and since your vault can't know that they are all destroyed by now, the logical assumption would be that the other vaults would be in the same situation as them, either needed their own water chip, or it being broken down as well.

So then, while looking for it, you wander around, and finally come across some "evil" dude putting together an army of super duper evil mutants. Cliche 101.

I liked underrail but it had some very serious flaws
Care to name them?

Underrail is a nice indie game, but the name of its very serious flaw is Deep Caverns. :dead:

Mortmal

Arcane

Sorry, man, but you are looking at it through pink goggles and possible conflating story with setting/lore. I love the setting and the lore, it is brilliant, but the story itself is borderline retarded. Think about it, your vault is on the verge of losing water, the most valuable thing in the world from the survival perspective. So what do they do? Send out one dude, and not a large team as would've been done in real life. To do what? Find an alternate water source or some resources to build/engineer a new system? This would be logical, but no, to send you looking for the exact part, which probability wise is probably the worst thing to do. The only places that would have them are other vaults, and since your vault can't know that they are all destroyed by now, the logical assumption would be that the other vaults would be in the same situation as them, either needed their own water chip, or it being broken down as well.

So then, while looking for it, you wander around, and finally come across some "evil" dude putting together an army of super duper evil mutants. Cliche 101.

I liked underrail but it had some very serious flaws
Care to name them?

Underrail is a nice indie game, but the name of its very serious flaw is Deep Caverns. :dead:
You are right and glad to find someone who has the balls to criticize underrail. Deeps caverns had absolutely shitty design .Everything else was incline although.

jungl

Augur
There nothing wrong with the deep caverns in Underrail. Problem is its a deviation from gameplay from the rest of the game and kind of gameplay over 90 percent of the audience playing the game in the first place would hate. Deep caverns add survival horror time based elements to the game. Which turn based rpg gamers hate. Personally I thought it was refreshing as I loved playing games like resident evil 2 when I was a kid on my windows 2000

agris

Arcane
Patron
If you skipped that, and every major battle that required save scumming, good for you. I didn't.

But anyway, if those battles required reloading/save-scumming, what would you have done if you were not allowed to save, besides starting over the whole combat? How would that have made it better?
It would have made you be more careful and think more about what you do, that's true, but Fallout doesn't have the tactical options of Underrail to allow you to do wildly different things in the same situation.

Starting over wouldn't have worked. Those battles were mathematically impossible. I would have had to skip them. Maybe come back much later?

I'm starting to think I didn't play the same game as you guys, but I've had a bunch of different copies over the years. Does no one remember the very start of FO? The girl that fucks you for free when you save her in the first town? The army that kidnapped her? Am I the only one that kills the bad guys in games?
Tandi doesn’t bang you and the gang is very killable if you’ve been to junktown/ maybe the Hub. Metal armor, psycho, smg, and smart use of the map.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom