Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Final Fantasy VI worth playing?

Grimlorn

Arcane
Tangent: Boggles my mind that so many people claim Chrono Trigger is the best jRPG let alone RPG evar. It's so fucking boring and minimalist. At least FF4 has somewhat challenging combat if nothing more, CT doesn't even have that. Sure it has the occasional mini-game but they're all really quite shit and they never tie into the core gameplay (combat) via rewards like the mini-games in 90s FF do (which is something that makes the shittier mini-games easier to stomach). Sure it has an overworld/world map, but there's absolutely nothing to discover in it beyond where the story guides you. It is simply set dressing. I get it, the game has charming music/characters/art/story, but that is something pretty much every Squaresoft game had and is in no way unique. Quite possibly the single most overrated game of the 90s, and a game for people that don't really like video games. Even Tamagotchi had arguably better gameplay. You're under no illusion there is or could be anything more to it down the line, and it doesn't waste your time with boring "combat" and minigames.
Everything you said could be applied to FF4 and 6. They are easy games where you can auto attack everything and win. Tons of random battles you can't avoid. They are more on rails than Chrono Trigger as well, which is reflected in the many endings it has. Comparing CT's gameplay to Tamagotchi is absurd. Every FF game has the same auto time battle system. Chrono Trigger at least has a unique tech system with a battlefield and the positions of the enemies can affect what techs work best for the situation. I don't know why you're so obsessed with mini-games, but CT has a whole festival of them. There is also the New Game plus feature with adds replay value along with the 10+ endings you can get based on what you decide to do in the game.

Ash

Arcane
"'Everything you said could be applied to FF4 and 6."

4 yes. It's a shit game, just like CT. You paying attention, I already said that. 6? no.

FF6 dungeon design:

-Puzzle elements with conveyor belts, pipes and hooks.
-Nicely interconnected level design.
-Differences in elevation adding further complexity.
-Lots of hidden treasure rewarding exploration and figuring out said puzzles.
-Is quite big

CT dungeon design:

R.a3478f85adddb86938a82fdf2ed3a30f

Flat plane. Just two useless items. Zero interactivity (aside from that one trap) and nothing that poses a navigation issue.
Now you could claim it's not a fair comparison, but ALL the fucking level design is like this in CT, while FF6 only has a few simple bits (and even then they're still more interactive and interesting than anything in CT).

This is dungeon design comparison only, let alone all the rest of the gameplay-oriented design that FF6 has, while CT and its ilk has fuck all of value.

How can you not see that these games are not at all on the same level?

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
How can you not see that these games are not at all on the same level?
Better question is how can you be so butthurt a game didn't click with you that you complain about shit in CT that existed in both games.

It's not like CT also had it's factory levels in the future with it's own switches and conveyor buttons. They are both simplistic. It's kind of amusing you can be so delusional that you actually took a starter forest area, basically a tutorial area and compared it to a "dungeon" toward the middle-end of FF6.

CT has the advantage of being smaller but no real random battles and most of the enemies are on screen for you to run past. It's a trade off of course, but a lot of people hate random battles and FF6 has a lot from what I remember. Every 5-10 steps in some places. Both probably ended up using most of the space on their limited cartridges. CT ended up having to be smaller due to the enemies being on screen and moving around.

Ash

Arcane
I'm the delusional one. OK.

It's not like CT also had it's factory levels in the future

Once again not at all equivalent. It's trash and baby's early learning first toy level of simplistic. The developers clearly didn't give a fuck. Lets make a game even a toddler can play.

CT has the advantage of being smaller but no real random battles and most of the enemies are on screen for you to run past

"our game is shit so lets make the gameplay optional".
"Some of our audience appear to hate random battles, lets just not even have battles and make them completely mindless when they do occur instead of making them more fun"

CT's gameplay is shit and you should feel dumb for defending it, and yet here we are.

Grimlorn

Arcane
I'm the delusional one. OK.

It's not like CT also had it's factory levels in the future

Once again not at all equivalent. It's trash and baby's early learning first toy level of simplistic. The developers clearly didn't give a fuck. Lets make a game even a toddler can play.

CT has the advantage of being smaller but no real random battles and most of the enemies are on screen for you to run past

"our game is shit so lets make the gameplay optional".
"Some of our audience appear to hate random battles, lets just not even have battles and make them completely mindless when they do occur instead of making them more fun"

CT's gameplay is shit and you should feel dumb for defending it, and yet here we are.
Your butthurt is amusing. I've only said they are both simplistic. The same things you criticize CT for FF6 also has in spades. Yeah some people like to have an option to see their enemies on screen. I don't think the Japanese hate random battles considering the types of JRPGs they continually pumped out around this time though. What they did was largely experimental and went off to be incredibly successful. There was just likely a trade off in what you could fit on a cartridge back which means CT is a shorter game. Regardless there is no reason to become so upset that the game didn't click with you that you pretend things that existed in CT didn't exist in FF6. You're coming off as a delusional contrarian.

Ash

Arcane
I'm trying to explain to you that CT has minimalist, barebones boring gameplay and FF6 has considerably more going for it by comparison, to the point it's not even close, but you oddly just don't seem to comprehend that. You just think it is a matter of personal preference, is not measurable, and is just something that "clicks" or not. How fucking adorable...to be this dumb.

FF6 has customisable RPG systems, which ties into combat choices, pre-battle strategy, and many other aspects of gameplay. CT has next to nothing.
FF6 has an overworld with numerous optional locations and intricacies. CT it is purely set dressing, nothing more.
FF6 has actual dungeon design, even the more simpler dungeons go beyond CT.
FF6 has combat that while typically easy and relatively simple, is still considerably more involved than CT.
FF6 has a whole bunch of miscellaneous side quests, unique challenges, and even hidden playable characters. Once again next to nothing in CT. Outside of the braindead combat you get the occasional shitty mini-game which is at least *something* and that's about it. That's the game. Exploration/navigation, strategy, customization, puzzles, you know, staples of the RPG? CT doesn't really have it. If the combat and mini-games were amazing it could be forgiven, but these are complete trash which makes it irredeemable. Like I said, a game for people that don't really like or want games, but stories or "experiences". You add further proof to that yourself by saying the ability to run past enemies was for people that don't want to engage in combat.

How can you be this oblivious?

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
I'm trying to explain to you that CT has minimalist, barebones boring gameplay and FF6 has considerably more going for it by comparison, to the point it's not even close, but you oddly just don't seem to comprehend that. You just think it is a matter of personal preference, is not measurable, and is just something that "clicks" or not. How fucking adorable...to be this dumb.

FF6 has customisable RPG systems, which ties into combat choices, pre-battle strategy, and many other aspects of gameplay. CT has next to nothing.
FF6 has an overworld with numerous optional locations and intricacies. CT it is purely set dressing, nothing more.
FF6 has actual dungeon design, even the more simpler dungeons go beyond CT.
FF6 has combat that while typically easy and relatively simple, is still considerably more involved than CT.
FF6 has a whole bunch of miscellaneous side quests, unique challenges, and even hidden playable characters. Once again next to nothing in CT. Outside of the braindead combat you get the occasional shitty mini-game which is at least *something* and that's about it. That's the game. Exploration/navigation, strategy, customization, puzzles, you know, staples of the RPG? CT doesn't really have it. If the combat and mini-games were amazing it could be forgiven, but these are complete trash which makes it irredeemable. Like I said, a game for people that don't really like or want games, but stories or "experiences". You add further proof to that yourself by saying the ability to run past enemies was for people that don't want to engage in combat.

How can you be this oblivious?
LOL cry harder bitch. Yeah being able to skip many random, trash mob battles when replaying the game or backtracking is oh so awful. Not like FF6 where you are constantly getting interrupted with trash mobs you just auto-attack to victory. So much deeper. What pre-battle strategy are you even referring to? Buffs, because CT had those too. What kind of strategy are you referring to in FF6? You admit that the combat is simplistic then mention it has some sort of special strategy and special customization that exists. The strategy of holding down the A button? Yeah you had Espers to learn magic from and increase your stats, but CT also had the tabs to increase stats and characters couldn't just learn every spell in the game. Besides hitting some switches here and there I'm trying to recall what "puzzles" FF6 had. CT had the same kind of stuff. CT also has a bunch of unique side quests that affect the game in different time periods and affects the ending. One of the reasons the overworld isn't so intricate is because there 5 different world maps depending on what year you're in.

Anyways I know I touched a nerve and you're just talking out your ass now. There's a reason both games are praised for the SNES and you should just get over it and stop pretending CT didn't have almost the exact same features FF6 did. Also the tech system was fun and unique and I don't see how anyone could complain about the unique combat techs your party could perform against mobs depending on their positioning.

Grimlorn

Arcane
All this FFVI vs CT shitflinging while real patricians play FFV...
Really the only one flinging shit here is Ash. I've just never seen someone criticize a game for not having features it actually had. It kind of amazed me at first, but I quickly put two and two together on what was happening. Just figured some people might actually believe he was telling the truth and not completely full of shit.

Ash

Arcane
Yeah being able to skip many random, trash mob battles when replaying the game...

Lol, you actually even thought it a good idea to replay this worthless game. :lol:

Why don't you just admit you're a dumb cuck already?

All this FFVI vs CT shitflinging while real patricians play FFV...

Yes, FFV is also leagues above CT in the gameplay department. Quite ugly looking even by SNES standards though, not that it particularly matters but it's definitely an early SNES title.
Dungeon design is fucking solid, if praising something other than the job system which takes all the credit. The fireship, desert pyramid, ship graveyard, library of the ancients, Ronka ruins, so many that makes it a cut above the typical JRPG slog and mindless shite like CT.

Last edited:

Paper

Educated
I always thought it must be a good game because it has good music. But every time i try to play it i give up after a couple of hours because the game won't fucking leave me alone. So much fucking talking. It never just lets you play the game.

Oh and it wants to be dramatic or something i guess and puts you in different combat situation in the middle of all the talking but there's no drama because the fights are so easy/your characters are too OP.

Really annoying game, i recommend downloading the OST instead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom