Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline is gaming officially over

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's the same problem you get when you talk to anarchists. Oh great, no government and central authority. So what happens in a conflict? Somehow, all the good anarchists are supposed to gang up on the bad anarchist and make them stop? They'll come up with all these rules, and it's like, oh ok, anarchy only works when there's a central government attached. Makes perfect sense.
Having spent some time in anarchist communes and so speaking from first hand experience, since there is no above authority to rule conflicts they are solved by having all involved sides talking with each other and finding a common solution. Depending on the cases, it can go to from a "everybody is happy now" resolution to underhanded politics leading one side to be told to shut up and deal with it. But it does work. Limitations being it scales badly with larger group of persons (not sure it can work well above 50 heads) and that some people are broken, can't take decisions by themselves and actually need hierarchy to tell them what to do.
In any case it is a very good experience to have that force you to take responsibility for your shit and makes you realize how good life could be.

You know what other governments work well in groups of 50 people or less? Literally any of them. It's not a government at that point, it's an agreement between people. I mean, if someone had started shooting people, you'd call the cops, right? Pretty easy to be an "anarchist" when you live inside of quite governed area.

What differentiates these "anarchist communities" from "50 people at the same campground"? Or "All the people at the beach today"?

Do I live in an anarchist commune of 3 people, or do I have a house with 2 other people?

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
You can't look to AAA western developers for good games anymore. Even a lot of the indie shit is pozzed to hell. However, if you think gaming is officially over you're looking in the wrong places. Glorious Nippon still has plenty of devs making worthwhile shit, but some Codexers refuse to touch anything Japanese for fear of being labeled a weeb. A good game is good regardless of where it was made. It's just that I have little to no faith in Western developers anymore, because their games tend to release in a catastrophic state and even if they're patched it's still just a polished turd at the end of the day.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You know what other governments work well in groups of 50 people or less? Literally any of them. It's not a government at that point, it's an agreement between people. I mean, if someone had started shooting people, you'd call the cops, right? Pretty easy to be an "anarchist" when you live inside of quite governed area.

What differentiates these "anarchist communities" from "50 people at the same campground"? Or "All the people at the beach today"?

Do I live in an anarchist commune of 3 people, or do I have a house with 2 other people?
What stops anarchists from having jobs ? Commune from having cops ? Several communes working together ?
But you get it, living in a house with 2 other people is a 3 people commune.

Otherwise, to stay on subject, I played last weekend so I guess gaming is not over at least on my side.

lycanwarrior

Scholar
You can't look to AAA western developers for good games anymore. Even a lot of the indie shit is pozzed to hell. However, if you think gaming is officially over you're looking in the wrong places. Glorious Nippon still has plenty of devs making worthwhile shit, but some Codexers refuse to touch anything Japanese for fear of being labeled a weeb. A good game is good regardless of where it was made. It's just that I have little to no faith in Western developers anymore, because their games tend to release in a catastrophic state and even if they're patched it's still just a polished turd at the end of the day.

Not into pink-haired anime gurls, sorry bro.

The Dragon Quest is really the only JRPG series that I can stomach for any length of time.

Ravielsk

Magister

Its absolutely sad that I have to agree with this. I used to be very hopeful for the indie scene but recent years have completely soured even that for me. The indies are fundamentally no less bankrupt than the AAA side of things in the west, its just that they swung in the exact opposite direction but still an equal distance. Just the couple of "good" games that some copium users brought up in this thread are all derive from the same baldurs gate/Xcom top-down formula from the 90s(which in and of themselves were derivative). Its the same formula that was stale around 2005 and it certainly did not become any more fresh with time. Same can be broadly said about pretty much any other genre the indie scene latches onto, its all for the most part throwbacks with little to no unique DNA of their own. Its like me trying to patent a muffin recipe taken from google but with slightly changed volumes of flour and sugar, sure its still a decent muffin but hardly anything unique or original.

I think highly acclaimed entertainment products are low brow and stupid. I only like highly cultured entertainment products that other highly cultured connoisseurs also enjoy, and only if the unwashed masses do not also enjoy said entertainment products.

I have unique and special tastes, unlike all the normal people who like things that are bad. Also I'm a generally miserable person who nobody wants to be around, but I think that's just because they're jealous of my superior tastes.

Magnum

Novice
It's over.
The problem is: how to cope with it?

Play old games or read books
Not so fast here, pal. Big Bro has all the rights on your favorite vintage media and he will chop it as he sees fit. Just look at what they did to mah boi Fallout1/2. I pray for Belle the Sheep everynight and hope she'll avoid Big Bro's watchfull eye.

lol, the books and discs on my shelf are not changing.

Tell GabeN I said Happy New Year!

wishbonetail

Learned
You couldn't possibly hoard everything there is of interest? Or could you? Well, let us hope that discs won't get worn out or damaged and nothing will happen to those hard drives. I've got something of a collection myself but sometimes shit happens. Then I try to recover lost media of mine on the internets and ducking surprise "We just cut some episodes from your favorite TV show, trust us , it's for you own good".

lycanwarrior

Scholar
I think highly acclaimed entertainment products are low brow and stupid. I only like highly cultured entertainment products that other highly cultured connoisseurs also enjoy, and only if the unwashed masses do not also enjoy said entertainment products.

I have unique and special tastes, unlike all the normal people who like things that are bad. Also I'm a generally miserable person who nobody wants to be around, but I think that's just because they're jealous of my superior tastes.

I dunno, there is something almost liberating about looking down on people who only play COD or FIFA/MADDEN/NBA2K...

Magnum

Novice
You couldn't possibly hoard everything there is of interest? Or could you? Well, let us hope that discs won't get worn out or damaged and nothing will happen to those hard drives. I've got something of a collection myself but sometimes shit happens. Then I try to recover lost media of mine on the internets and ducking surprise "We just cut some episodes from your favorite TV show, trust us , it's for you own good".

Are you intentionally trying to be both incompetent and evil?

Are you ok, bro?

revealer

Augur
Got sucked into warhammer lore recently. Then watched Helsreach movie. A bit more digging and now downloading Dawn of War 2.
Finding new old games, or repeating ones you already know is da wae.

Zlaja

Arcane
WARNING: Multi-quoting xtravaganza (deal with it)

In "true" communism, the means of production would be collectively owned by the people working with them

Revisionist bullshit. If a company is owned by the state then it's considered as owned collectively a.k.a "owned by the people". Maybe not by anarchists/hippies, but certainly by actual communists living in a country where the state is synonymous with the communist party.

Also suddenly skyrim is an example of good game development?

There's a big difference between releasing a turd, and re-releasing it for the 13th time.

aaf.png

I'm not going to pretend Arcanum isn't a broken mess

Arcanum was considered a broken mess on day 1, and it's a beautiful broken mess. Better then some highly polished turd.

that Fallout isn't a steaming turd

e383eacca7865b08ff812e14d3a7a68d.jpg

I've only enjoyed games more as the years have gone on

Anyone who enjoys videogames more as an adult then as a kid is a weirdo in my book.

Glorious Nippon still has plenty of devs making worthwhile shit, but some Codexers refuse to touch anything Japanese for fear of being labeled a weeb

GTFO! I watched a jav movie starring Karen Kaede just last night, but that doesn't stop me from realizing that the japanese gaming industry has also drastically declined, and is a steaming pile of shit today compared to how things were 20 years ago.

read books

file-20190906-175710-g9vq9j.jpg

Goldschmidt

Learned
Absolute majority of shooter or rpg-games coming out are consolized ones, not designed for pc but ported to pc. Most of the rpg-variant also involves dangerhair politics and very 'liberal' ideas. Minority is pixel-art indies who are all clones of eachother. And very rarely a flawed low quality indie gem but none to my taste sadly.

Because it was mentioned multiple times:

Dead Space is the epitome of proof of a console port: most horrible controls ever. I guess the only reason people like this is because they are trapped on a haunted space station full of monsters (the horror aspect). But the gameplay itself is terrible. Bad game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom