Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Decline is gaming officially over

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by the mole, Nov 18, 2021.

1. thesoup Arcane

thesoup

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden

• Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. the mole Learned Shitposter

the mole
    looks pretty good honestly

I was always a fan of fft and other games like it

is it a finished game, how many hours

see I have to ask things like this and do extensive research cause this is the state of gaming

I beat fell seal arbiters mark a few years ago was pretty good

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Troubleshooter has been finished, in the sense of playable from beginning to end, for well over a year, although the developer, DandyLion, couldn't resist adding still more game mechanics via updates while also working on a quasi-DLC (White Lion and Black Witch) that isn't quite complete. This is regrettable, IMHO, since I would prefer they were working on the sequel, instead.

Codex thread: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ildren-isometric-tactical-korean-srpg.130559/

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Surprise surprise, mostly all indie and smaller studios. When people shit on gaming here it's rare they're talking about indie. Small studios is the only reason I am still latching on to modern gaming. Larger budget games however have largely gone to absolute shit, when back in the day they produced gem after gem. Nearly every high profile game was good. They ended up growing as a studio in the first place based on the merits of their games. Shitter games usually kept bad studios in their place -- at the bottom. There were some exceptions, but that is exactly what they were: exceptions. Everything was just and orderly. Now it's the opposite. The more braindead and shit (yet pandering) your game the more it sells. It's more because they invest a fuckton into marketing than anything though, but the combination of retard-tier design and shoving it down everyone's throats with multi-million dollar marketing campaigns and you have modern entertainment in a nutshell.

Nope, popular among the storyfags. Their opinions don't count ;)

The fuck is this shit? 70s/80s was largely trash. 90s is the golden age.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. 0wca Learned

0wca
    Joking aside, there is actually a lot of truth to that.

My first experience with Fallout was F3. At the time I thought it was the greatest thing ever, because gunz and gore - HELL YEA (I was about 16 at the time). Then I played NV and...FORGOT about F3 immediately after finishing it. Then a friend of mine told me I should also try out the old ones and I played Fallout 1 for the first time. Blew my mind, fucking awesome, dark and gritty. Played F2 afterwards and was almost equally amazed. Since then, my concensus was the same as much of the codexians, F1, 2 and NV are the best. Not because I wanna be trendy, but because it's true.

So yeah, I notice that often when we go back and reevaluate stuff from our childhoods, you can start to distinguish how much of the quality comes from pure nostalgia and how much of it was actually deserved.

The flipside of all of this, is that necessity is the mother of all invention, which means that all of this drought will create a great need for good games again and, if the laws of nature are anything to go by, it should eventually start producing quality games again.

The only question is - when?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. Nifft Batuff Liturgist

Nifft Batuff
    We are in a golden age of gaming because now we can emulate all the old good games! We have also so many remasters now, more than ever!

Uh... Wait a moment.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. bozia2012 Arcane Patron

bozia2012
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
    CEO of Gaming, Bobby Kotick is going down so it's over, man.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • decline decline x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. lycanwarrior Learned

lycanwarrior
    For the hardcore RPG scene I'd say quite the opposite, with PF WotR, Encased, Atom RPG Trudograd, Solasta, Gamedec and more to come.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. lycanwarrior Learned

lycanwarrior
    For the AAA game market, yeah maybe lol. Especially last year with CyberPunk and Marvel Avengers. And then this year with Outriders, CoD Vanguard, BF 2042, GTA Remastered Triiogy, etc.

Most of the 3rd party AAA companies like ActiBlizz, EA, Take2, Square-Enix (except GotG), have laid just massive smelly turds this year.

Aside from the 1st-party AAA console manufacturers, Ubisoft has seemed to be the only one to release some pretty solid and well-received new releases (Far Cry 6, Riders Republic) this holiday season. Not to mention DLCs for Valhalla, Watch Dogs Legion, Ghost Recon Breakpoint, Immortals, etc.

• cuck cuck x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • meh meh x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. I'm Big Into Anal Arcane

I'm Big Into Anal
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. lycanwarrior Learned

lycanwarrior
    Lol, yeah the gaming industry seems to taking a page out of the Hollywood's playbook :dealwithit:

^ Top  
  12. Zboj Lamignat Arcane

Zboj Lamignat
    Bottom-of-the-barrel iq strawman, no surprises.
    You know those things are very closely connected, right.

Right?

Buy yeah, let's look at one of my examples: Myth. We can add Total Annihilation to it - two games released very close to each other that brought huge new quality to tactics/strategy genres through use of physics and destruction, which was not only visual, but also had huge impact on gameplay, making it much more interesting and engaging. At the same time they've gained universal appraisal from both critics and the public, had great gameplay, top notch production values, things like awesome music, no need for tons of dlc/patches. They've stood the test of time, having devoted community that played and developed them for years to come. You should have zero problems with sharing similar examples of modern games that check all these boxes. I'll even retract my initial point about you being a bit of a dumbass if you consider the timeframe and the fact that your examples should obviously fare much better on all those points due to decades of hindsight, experience and incomparable available tech and budgets.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Nifft Batuff Liturgist

Nifft Batuff
    You know it is over when the best game awards has an entry for "best esport couch".

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Ash Arcane

Ash
    You know it's over when half of RPG codex is the only place* that consistently acknowledges it is over, because everyone else has such low standards and/or ignorance of classic glory (never played enough old games)...the two go hand-in-hand really. If nobody acknowledges the decline, this allows it to go on unchallenged and has for nearly two decades. Old standards are forever lost, hence it is game over man.

*Mind you I don't even go to other gaming sites for discussion anymore. But I doubt things have changed. Tards everywhere.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tacgnol Shitlord Patron

Tacgnol
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    LE has a lot of potential (Path of exile really needs sizeable competition), I just hope they don't fuck up the post-early access launch.

Wolcen was killed for all intents and purposes by a bad launch.

^ Top  
  16. anvi Prophet Village Idiot

anvi

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Ash Arcane

Ash
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Bigg Boss Arcane

Bigg Boss
    He says with the FNV avatar.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. lametta Literate

lametta
    garbage? you keep playing fallout 4(lol) and skyrim the 345th time till starfield comes out while i'll enjoy them hidden gems.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • sheeple sheeple x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Dexter Arcane

Dexter
    Let's be honest, it's been a rather shitty two+ years:
    https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/pc/filtered?year_selected=2021
    https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/pc/filtered?year_selected=2020

If it wasn't for VR which blew a bit of fresh wind into the industry, Indie games, some good shit still coming out of Japan and a few exceptions like Half Life Alyx and Death Stranding or older games, which make up the brunt of what I've been playing lately I wouldn't know what games to spend time on. If I was forced every year to only play games released that year or give up on gaming I might choose the latter in the current situation.

This isn't helped by all the "Remake" and "Remaster" mania lately of 10-20+ year old games when gaming was in a generally better state like Mass Effect, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1/2, Command & Conquer, Mafia, Crysis, Diablo II, Quake, Halo, Grand Theft Auto, WarCraft III, Age of Empires, Commandos, Saints Row, Kingdom of Amalur etc. since the industry is increasingly creatively bankrupt, some of which have been botched or marred by stupid creative or technological decisions, and even if they wanted to make something new their new "diverse" hires would likely equally fuck it up.

Thankfully even some of the big commercial evergreen/golden goose franchises seem to have been somewhat dented, lost their luster lately and are showing signs of drying up due to this. Far Cry 6, Call of Duty: Vanguard and Battlefield 2042 seem to all have had abysmal ratings and sales compared to earlier outings. Maybe there will be some change, but I won't hold my breath or be fabulously optimistic about it.
    https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/far-cry-6
    https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/18/far-...on-far-cry-5-games-chart-16-october-15441755/
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u...n-four-years-on-far-cry-6-worries-11634214278

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/call-of-duty-vanguard
    https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/15/call-of-duty-vanguard-sales-are-lowest-since-call-of-duty-4-15602780/
    https://mp1st.com/news/report-cod-v...lack-ops-cold-war-worst-uk-launch-in-14-years

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/battlefield-2042
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1517290/Battlefield_2042/

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Squid Savant

Squid
    Don't want to read 7 pages?
    • OP mad that they bought some, probably early access, games they didn't like and should have known better.
    • Responders think games are fine.
    • Other responders agree with OP and also buy early access games and then feel disappointed.
    • We hate games now, that's why we're here.
    • Never try to say you like a game that the forum hates because you might be "objectively wrong."

• Funny Funny x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. lycanwarrior Learned

lycanwarrior
    Outdated info I'm afraid:

Ubisoft Shares Rise as Far Cry 6 Fares Better Than Expected
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u...cry-6-fares-better-than-expected-271635498264

Also, Google reviews showing at slightly above average:

https://www.google.com/search?q=far...HAAeACAAVyIAdACkgEBNJgBAKABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

I have started referencing Google reviews more so than Metacritic since there seems to be a big disconnect between the two not only for FC6 but also other games such as Outer Worlds, etc.

^ Top  
  23. grim1234 Literate

grim1234
    Finally, someone with a brain.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Ash Arcane

Ash
    He's right though. While Dead Space is a solid action horror and anvi probably hasn't given it a proper chance because it is a console game:

1. It is quite derivative; not very innovative while SS2 was very. Take Resident Evil 4 gameplay mix it with System Shock 2 themes and secondary concepts and that's Dead Space. Obviously it has some unique aspects of its own, but not many.
    2. It does LESS than SS2 game design-wise
    3. Most of its superior aspects are due to circumstance: graphics because newer tech allows that. Combat because its more minimalist focus allows that.
    4. SS2 is the superior game overall.

With the rate that games were evolving in the 90s, thinking about how games must be in the late 00's blew my fucking mind at the possibilities. Instead they did the opposite and got dumber and simpler. While dead space was one of very few good games from the late 00s it itself still follows that trend of being dumber and less ambitious than a game from 10 years ago. Not that all games have to match or exceed SS2. Simpler, more focused design is valid design, but nonetheless my argument still stands.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Corbin Dallas Multipass Learned

Corbin Dallas Multipass
    No, gaming isn't over, officially or otherwise. I can actually watch people play games RIGHT NOW if I were so inclined.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.