Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline is gaming officially over

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
No I could easily I list 100 from each of those decades. The decline is more of a cliff.

And in 50 years people will easily pick 100 great songs / movies / games from this decade. You lack perspective
They wont though, give me even 10 from the past 20 years that even come close to the classic movies/artists of those decades?

None of the artists you mentioned I value especially, I find most of them boring

Codex Year of the Donut
I could list 5 good movies from the 70s without thinking, I'd have trouble listing 5 good movies from this century.
Then again, I don't watch very many movies.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
No I could easily I list 100 from each of those decades. The decline is more of a cliff.

And in 50 years people will easily pick 100 great songs / movies / games from this decade. You lack perspective
They wont though, give me even 10 from the past 20 years that even come close to the classic movies/artists of those decades?

None of the artists you mentioned I value especially, I find most of them boring
That's only because you are cultureless scum like most people today. You grew up on retards like Britney and Eminem so have no clue. You never had a chance :[

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron

That's only because you are cultureless scum like most people today. You grew up on retards like Britney and Eminem so have no clue. You never had a chance :[

Lol, I'm older than you by far

Lemming42

Arcane

It's too subjective. I really like a lot of mainstream chart pop music from the past decade, for example, but if you don't like pop then it's not gonna click with you. There's also never been a better time for electronic music in all its genres, if you like that. East Asia also seemed to have a weird shoegaze phase in the early 2010s, which is a big win for all shoegaze fans in the world (me and like three other people)

As for rock, that did kind of die after the 90s, at least in the mainstream. I blame all those shitty bands like Foo Fighters and The Killers and Queens of the Stone Age who somehow managed to play rock with zero feeling to it at all.

Lemming42

Arcane
It seems kind of pointless listing songs, but regardless, here's some chart pop songs I like and remember from the last 20 years, off the top of my head:
Toxic - Britney Spears
All The Things She Said - t.A.T.u.
Poker Face - Lady Gaga
Whenever, Wherever - Shakira
Paper Planes - MIA (this was fucking everywhere when it came out)
Say So - Doja Cat
A Thousand Miles - Vanessa Carlton
Kids - MGMT
Super Bass - Nicki Minaj
Everytime We Touch - Cascada (YES YES YES)

All have the same sense of upbeat fun as the average 70s or 80s pop song, IMO. Out of interest, why the 20 year cutoff point? What was the last good pop song released before November 22nd 2001?

Also, what are the chart pop songs from the 90s that were any good? I remember Iris by Goo Goo Dolls driving me up the wall as a kid. AND AH DON'T WANT THE WUURLD TO SEE ME. Awful.

Lemming42

Arcane
For reference, chart-topping songs of the 90s:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_the_1990s

A lot of awful shit on there. First one on there I actually like is Emotions by Mariah and even that isn't that good. It is definitely more varied in genre than today's chart, though, and genres like house and rock had a much higher chance of charting.

At the very least, the 2000s and 2010s got the charts out of the fucking power ballad quagmire. One of many things that's best left in the 90s.

Watching old Beavis and Butt-Head episodes should be enough to dispel anyone's nostalgia for the 90s. Some of the absolute shit they have to sit through during the music video segments is off the scale.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
There was bad in all decades but at least the 90s had a lot of great bands. That doesn't exist anymore.

tritosine2k

Erudite
I think there's a massive drop in quality once people stopped paying for it.
Yeah it will be kinda funny when Musk casually shows off this and that car HUD display-tech meanwhile galaxy brain gamerz still think some stuck nvidya g-sank stuff is such a safe bet/spot.

Lemming42

Arcane
Depends on the area you're looking at, I think. My big interests are sci-fi, gaming, and comedy (chiefly UK comedy) which have definitely all gone to absolute shit since the early 2000s. Only other hobby is the internet, and that's kind of a mixed bag, better in some ways and worse in others, people tend to overstate how good the mid-late-2000s internet was IMO.

I still think music's much more complex though - chart stuff is as variable as it's always been, mostly the worst shit ever with a few catchy hits that make you laugh. There's more music being made now than ever, from more countries than ever. Rock's definitely on the back foot right now, but a lot of 90s rock was pretty dreadful too, as was a lot of "classic rock"/"dad rock". I think the problem is that there's so much shit being pumped out constantly now that it's really hard to get anywhere in music. All the Morrisseys and Robert Smiths of this generation are releasing tracks on SoundCloud and getting like five total listens, never getting significantly noticed. As with all other media, it seems like we've reached a position now where it's designed to direct the blandest shit to the top while genuinely creative stuff fizzles out from lack of exposure.

Still, my bloody valentine are working on a new album apparently, so that should singlehandedly relaunch the guitar boom.

Ash

Arcane
Internet is garbage for entertainment purposes (unless you include the games, movies, music etc it can provide). I consider casual browsing one of my vices, not my hobbies.

I love a little bit of almost everything regarding music genres. The past 15 years or so has been marked decline. That list of 90s charts you posted, well I like most of it. The fuck you dissing Goo Goo Dolls - Iris for? Whatever you may personally think, there is clearly talent and soul behind it. The stuff now is horrible shit with little talent and soul. Repetitive lyrics, autotune, sexual content, not a lot else.
Also most of your top ten tracks from recent years you posted are from early-mid 2000s. The decline had begun but wasn't in full force yet. Those years weren't that bad. Past 10 - 15 years of radio/popular music is almost universally garbage however. I guess you're just all about that bass and WAP.

Cleanse your soul with some oldies, corrupted child

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
Oh god, Iris. Everything about it triggers my acid reflux, which I thought I'd had under control. The images of Nicolas Cage in that one film it conjures up are matched only by the music video itself, where the anime-looking guy zooms around the room wailing "CUZ AH DON'T THINK THAT THEY'D UNDERSTAYND".

I got dragged along to a karaoke night thing a few years ago and the list was mostly songs from that era, and I was absolutely desperate to sing Torn by Natalie Imbruglia. Spent the whole drive over there talking to everyone about how I was gonna do Torn, even sang a little bit of it in the car to get warmed up, then got absolutely fucked over when my friend picked it first just to spite me. I got stuck with Iris. Mumbled the whole thing in protest.

The stuff now is horrible shit with little talent and soul. Repetitive lyrics, autotune, sexual content, not a lot else.
Also most of your top ten tracks from recent years you posted are from early-mid 2000s. The decline had begun but wasn't in full force yet. Those years weren't that bad. Past 10 - 15 years is almost universally garbage however. I guess you're just all about that bass and WAP and therefore the music appeals to you.

It definitely gets tougher from around 2013 onwards. Looking back at the list, I see that literally the only post-2013 song I managed to come up with was Say So, which is pretty damning for the years 2014 - 2021 since I'll literally listen to any old shit (except Iris). I quite liked Blinding Lights but I never want to hear it again in my life after all the 24/7 airplay it got last year. And yeah, I'll admit that I did struggle more than I expected to just to think up ten chart songs I liked from the last 20 years, whereas with the 80s or 90s I could probably come up with 20+ in about five minutes.

Nothing wrong with repetitive lyrics, though! One of the top ten pop songs of all time just has "whoaaoaooaoahaoah" as its entire hook!

Ash

Arcane
It definitely gets tougher from around 2013 onwards. Looking back at the list, I see that literally the only post-2013 song I managed to come up with was Say So

Probably the only recent pop song I've enjoyed also.

And yeah, I'll admit that I did struggle more than I expected to just to think up ten chart songs I liked from the last 20 years, whereas with the 80s or 90s I could probably come up with 20+ in about five minutes.

There we go. Thank you. Decline acknowledgement
rating_brofist.png

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
people tend to overstate how good the mid-late-2000s internet was IMO.

Get the FUCK out.

We had Myspace. You could literally rank your friends from best to worst. Imagine the catastrophic butthurt that would cause with today's millennial triggernauts.
Every song, every episode, every game, everything you could think of (and some you rather wouldn't), was available for free. If you waited long enough for the download. Kind of still is but it's much more of a pain in the ass now.
The internet was slow as fuck so there were very few patches and NO DLC.
There was no global elitist cabal controlling a large portion of the Internet so people could do what they want (eeek! free speech?)
Twitter didn't exist.
iPhones and every single photo/video attention-whoring service didn't exist.
No dating apps.
No "apps" of any kind, people called them programs or applications - like nature intended.
The mainstream media hadn't discovered it yet and had to spread their fake news to boomers through the televitz.

Remind me again how the 2000's internet was not awesome?

BruceVC

Magister
everything is just dogshit now

a game looks interesting to me and then I read a bit about it and find out it's awful

Its a fairly common view to sometimes have for many gamers but the good news is its not at all true in the literal sense, you are just going through a minor mental type of cynicism and boredom and the solution is simple but important. Have a 4 week break from gaming and dont play any games until the 4 weeks are over, I am confidant your lack of enthusiasm will he over and sometimes a change of genre for a while helps so play an FPS online or action game instead of RPG

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
everything is just dogshit now

a game looks interesting to me and then I read a bit about it and find out it's awful

Its a fairly common view to sometimes have for many gamers but the good news is its not at all true in the literal sense, you are just going through a minor mental type of cynicism and boredom and the solution is simple but important. Have a 4 week break from gaming and dont play any games until the 4 weeks are over, I am confidant your lack of enthusiasm will he over and sometimes a change of genre for a while helps so play an FPS online or action game instead of RPG

A typical codexer remains in that phase forever, never recovers and retires in GD

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yes. Once you stop huffing nostalgia fumes you realize this is true
you got old and lost the ability to enjoy things
So your taste is locked to specific decades. The rest of us aren't as limited
you're cherry-picking stuff instead of going for the drek produced in every decade
I'm not sure if it's entry-level 4d chess or just utter lack of self-awareness, but you've literally itt named faux-C64 rpgs as proof that gaming is going great and no decline happened:lol: And the rest of the games you named are titles tripping over themselves to pretend they're classic 90s rpgs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom