Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

is immersion important for you?

is immersion important for you?

• yes, a necessary part of my experience

Votes: 58 50.9%
  • I can have a good experience without a focus on it

Votes: 22 19.3%
  • I can have a good experience without it having a significant presence

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I can have a good experience without it

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • no, I don't like immersion taking priority over other elements of a game

Votes: 13 11.4%

• Total voters

Butter

Arcane
Patron
What the fuck is immersion? I thought it was enjoying a game so thoroughly that you lose yourself in the experience of playing it, but apparently it's something designers can add like chives to make the game better.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Depends on the game. Combatfag games can do fine without immersion. But for a proper rpg immersion is necessary for the experience.

What the fuck is immersion? I thought it was enjoying a game so thoroughly that you lose yourself in the experience of playing it, but apparently it's something designers can add like chives to make the game better.

Immersion is just what you described. The devs are retarded as they confuse authenticity with immersion. Authenticity is what a good dev adds to increase immersion, as unauthentic elements like someone carrying 15 rocket launchers in his pockets breaks immersion.

Dodo1610

Arcane
A game can be good without immersion but I believe that almost every single game can be improved with it. Gothic would have just been some random clunky German Action RPG without it. Instead, people remember it fondly to this day and it still has a considerable modding community.
Even if game devs don't care about immersion they should at least allow me to deactivate every single UI element so I can't least can some level of immersion out of it.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Storyfag shit is in no way proper.

For me neither storyfag shit nor combatfag shit is the apex of the rpg.
When I speak of a proper rpg I mean something like Baldurs Gate and Fallout, which employs a proper balance between Exploration, Combat and Story.
Very similar to the three pillars of Pen&Paper gameplay in Exploration, Combat and Roleplay.
Variety is the key factor for a stand out game.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I really love immersion but I can also enjoy highly abstract dungeon crawlers with 99% combat.

Because I am capable of enjoying different types of games for different reasons.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
In a way it is, but I’m not sure what the question asks for specifically because it doesn’t define what exactly is meant with ”immersion”.

1st person perspective is often put out as an example for an immersive experience, but I don’t think it’s that simple. I’ve found a game like Wasteland (the original) much more ”immersive” than most FPP games. So I suppose ”immersion” is about the ability to, so to speak, forget that you’re playing a game to a certain degree as part of the experience, which to me happens better through good abstraction that demands the use of imagination to fill in the gaps (which I would assume is the conplete opposite of ”immersion” to most). The reason why it doesn’t matter if you hit someone in the head a dew times with a shotgun in a top down TB game, but feels stupid in a close up FPP/TPP situation.

Anyway, I can live without focus on it too.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Can't fuck video game characters without immersing yourself somewhere, so the answer's obviously yes.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Immersion is the penultimate aspect of a CRPG. Otherwise it is just a strategy/tactics or action game. And if it is a strategy/tactics or action game, then my standards regarding gameplay quality, balance, challenge, go WAY UP, and most crpgs lack a lot in those areas (compared to pure representatives of those genres), which is why i consider them trash games.

That is why Skyrim and Fallout 4 are GREAT CRPGs. They manage to do the most important aspect of a CRPG, which is to immerse the player in a huge open fantasy world. Yes there is gameplay, but you could probably find better melee combat or shooting mechanics elsewhere. But not in such an immersive place. If Skyrim or Fallout 4 lacked the open world and the open ended possibilities to customize your character and make it your own, then they would have to be judged in constrast with other games like for example pure shooters, and they would come up short. Immersion is what makes the sum larger than its parts.

And since RPGs are about ROLEPLAYING, immersion is no1. Therefore Skyrim and Fallout 4 are top CRPGs.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Yes.

Immersion is also difficult for me because I know what I like and I'm a stubborn fucker. Things like art style, atmosphere, the world, storytelling (especially the lost art of environmental storytelling), sounds and if the music makes sense are important factors to feel immersed. There are things like UI that also contribute greatly. I hate when a UI looks like it doesn't belong or is generic (Solasta, this is you). Give me some unwieldy, arcane looking UI that has some character to it any day of the week.

Yes.. as long as it's not "but first person is more immersive".

..because NO.. IT'S FUCKING NOT.. it's like walking around with a box over your head.

Third person, where you see the character and how it interacts with the environment, where you get an actual overview of the proceedings of the game is far more 'in the moment' than being blinkered into a restricted view.

DonGabo

Novice
The only thing I need to keep me immersed is good combat. Give me a dungeon crawler and I can play for hours, give me Homlett village and I can only stomach that shit for 30 minutes.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I started to hate it when people used "but mu immersion!!" as the only argument for making RPGs 1st person, where you never see your own character in game (-> Cyberpunk 2077).

Fuck you and your immersion.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Immersion is the penultimate aspect of a CRPG. Otherwise it is just a strategy/tactics or action game.

Is that to say, that for a game intending to be and RPG to actually be an RPG is a matter of feeling towards the way it presents itself or the core aspects of itself?

:troll:

I started to hate it when people used "but mu immersion!!" as the only argument for making RPGs 1st person, where you never see your own character in game (-> Cyberpunk 2077).

Fuck you and your immersion.

There only is one reason why CP 2077 is FP... it''s because we got the multiplayer game, with bots and a halfarsed, rushjob of a keannu vehicle thrown over it (which didn't exist til last year BTW)..... it's all to make mp seem like the sp to satisfy the fortnight/borderlands meatheads so they don't get confused.

It's the same reason they cut wall-walking.. it broke multiplayer so the single player gamers don't get it. They have a history of screwing over their more loyal audience for the sake of asshole... I mean SERIOUSLY "(para) our loyal fans get a shorter story because the people who don't really care about our games never finished W3"

..WHAT KIND OF FUCKING COMMENT IS THAT TO MAKE?

Last edited:

Max Damage

Savant
If I wanted immersion I wouldn't play video games where you carry around several platemails and miniguns in your hammerspace all day long :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom