Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is inquisition actually a bad game or do people just hate it because of the gay stuff?

Xeon

Augur
I think I read that EA was eventually hoping to change the engine to Frostbite for all their studios but didn't mandate it yet when Bioware picked it up for DAI.

Wonder if DAI was made in a different engine and was successful, if they will be allowed to choose their own engine like Respawn is doing with their games.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think I read that EA was eventually hoping to change the engine to Frostbite for all their studios but didn't mandate it yet when Bioware picked it up for DAI.

Wonder if DAI was made in a different engine and was successful, if they will be allowed to choose their own engine like Respawn is doing with their games.

Respawn was able to choose their own engine because they weren't owned by EA until recently. We'll have to see which one they use for their next game

Respawn was able to choose their own engine because they weren't owned by EA until recently. We'll have to see which one they use for their next game

They're using Unreal for their next game, which is the Star Wars one they wouldn't have been able to do without EA. I also think they were already under EA when they pitched them Apex, and that's in Source.

I'm a little hesitant to take BioWare's word on the real problem being Frostbite when so many other games across different genres have used it seemingly without the problems they have. Especially when BioWare is talking about how the problem with it is it was designed for shooters and this is somehow a problem for two of BioWare's shooters. I mostly just get the impression BioWare blaming Frostbite for their failures is them trying to pass the buck. It'd be interesting to hear from other studios that have released games using the engine talk about it too, because as it is it's just BioWare and that one lady that had her Star Wars game cancelled I've heard say anything about it.

Anyways, while writing all that I saw that Aaron Flynn said in some podcast with Kotaku that the engine wasn't forced on BioWare, and that BioWare went to them to use it because the rendering capabilities were good for open worlds.

Unwanted

a Goat

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Edgy Vatnik
The "it was designed for shooters" and "we needed to program in save/load function" doesn't seem believable after you realise that the first game they've made with frostbite came out in 2014(so was in development since 2012 or something).

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

They're using Unreal for their next game, which is the Star Wars one they wouldn't have been able to do without EA. I also think they were already under EA when they pitched them Apex, and that's in Source.

I'm a little hesitant to take BioWare's word on the real problem being Frostbite when so many other games across different genres have used it seemingly without the problems they have. Especially when BioWare is talking about how the problem with it is it was designed for shooters and this is somehow a problem for two of BioWare's shooters. I mostly just get the impression BioWare blaming Frostbite for their failures is them trying to pass the buck. It'd be interesting to hear from other studios that have released games using the engine talk about it too, because as it is it's just BioWare and that one lady that had her Star Wars game cancelled I've heard say anything about it.

Anyways, while writing all that I saw that Aaron Flynn said in some podcast with Kotaku that the engine wasn't forced on BioWare, and that BioWare went to them to use it because the rendering capabilities were good for open worlds.
Nobody outside of EA has released anything with Frostbite because it sucks ass

Quillon

Arcane
Nobody outside of EA has released anything with Frostbite

Prolly its cos EA hasn't been licensing the engine away, not that anyone would wanna use it, I don't know. Nobody outside of CDPR released anything with Red Engine neither :P

EA seemed to stop trying to license engines with RenderWare, which is also the only time I remember them trying to do it, and that was likely because that's what Criterion did before they got bought up. Remember after EA bought Criterion the other big guys stopped using that engine because of fear of letting EA know shit. It's the whole reason Rockstar developed their own engine and released that Table Tennis test game.

J1M

Arcane

Technical leadership at Bioware is garbage. It's partly because there are no other studios in the area, so it is hard to attract top talent in the frozen wasteland of Edmonton, Canada.

They complain about adding things like an inventory system as being a monumental technical hurdle... even though they have made them several times before, etc.

It is likely Respawn is using Unreal for that project because they are under a tight deadline. With Frostbite they would have to train up everyone they hire, but Unreal is basically an industry standard with lots of online resources. They can also rely on Epic to have it working for the launch of the new consoles.

Robert Erick

Educated
It is easily the worst "RPG" I've played in my entire life, and that's not hyperbole. It missed the mark on everything it tried to do, from graphics and gameplay to storytelling and characters. Even the DLC, which people seem to like more than the base game, were awful. Every time a character spoke, alarm bells went off in the back of my head and I felt like I was interacting with pod people. It even robbed me of the simple joy of being a dick to characters I didn't like, because the dialogue choices are completely toothless. As for the game part, it was mind-numbingly boring. The only "good" thing I can say about it is the tarot card artwork. It's a shame they didn't use that artstyle for anything else because the UI, icons and portraits look like they're designed for mobile games. It's really bad.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I played 2 times DA:I , one i didn't finished the DLCs because of sheer boredoom (As a Rogue) that was to level up enough for them and a second time to complete all DLC and kill all Dragon , while i like some companions stories ( Dorian is enjoyable when he's talking Trevinter is quite is interesting, Cassandra , Cullen and Cole are quite decent , the rest is annyoing af or dull) , some sidequest are more than fetch quests and Treppanser has a good ending and much better villian , the rest of the game is fucking boring and unbalanced.

After i got level 15 or something nothing was a match to my Spam Knight Enchanter char , not even Dragon Figths , the open world fucking sucks and shouldn't be in the game and the story is bland af.
People give DA2 a lot of shit but at least DA2's story was decent (ending suck for most part) and had side quest that connected to the main game, in DA:I the Inquisitor is a Mary sue/Gary stu that's badly animated, never had conflict other than in some romances , always won everything and everyone loves/respect him/her compared to Hawke that at least had conflicts, flaws , for most part was a tragic hero and had a changeable personality.

DA:I has some really nice content but is under boring world with ,for most part , bland and short story that they try hide that's like 7 missions or something with griding and fetch quests.. DA:I is by far the worst Dragon Age game that i played. But i like DA2 so my opinion means shit..

Last edited:

Turuko

Learned
best part of the game was the MP
SP felt like trying to drink a bottle of wine that someone smashed on the floor, broken glass and all

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom