Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Invisible War worth it?

Yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 8 50.0%

• Total voters

Vibalist

Arcane
I'm almost done with Deus Ex and I am completely in love with it. So naturally I'm looking for a similar experience now and was wondering if the sequel is worth it too? I've seen a lot of people here criticise it, but I wanted to see if people are mostly negative or positive towards it?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pity the poll doesn't have a kingcomrade option so it would look like a dick... pardon me, a cock.

If it wasn't connected to the Deus Ex name it would be considered good for what it is by most of the Codex I'm sure. Worth a play if for nothing more then to see one of the first examples of dumbing down games for consoletards.

Lord Rocket

Erudite
Game was OK. I had fun. But yeah, Deus Ex was better. A lot better.

Play it if you're OK with feeling a bit let down.

Dire Roach

Prophet
I played it for the first time not too long ago. I had very low expectations for it, but it was still worse than I had hoped. It's as if the people in charge of DX had suffered serious head injuries.

Vibalist

Arcane
So what exactly happened? I know the levels are smaller, but what makes it so bad compared to DX1?

bhlaab

Erudite
Well here's the thing, it is unfortunate that it was cited as the sequel to Deus Ex, because it would be a piece of shit no matter what it was called and the beginning of this sentence was my attempt at a curveball.

No, it stinks.

bhlaab

Erudite
Vibalist said:
So what exactly happened? I know the levels are smaller, but what makes it so bad compared to DX1?

Not only are the levels small but the load times are enormous. The UI is not only consolized but it is very ugly and centered on the screen because that's a good fucking idea, people love seeing a hud in the middle of the fucking screen. They took out skills, making augmentations the entirety of the system and even that they dumbed down almost to the point of, well, pointlessness. Guns have universal ammo meaning your best bet is to find one gun that you like and never using anything else. The game is all about factions, except there is no reputation system so you can massacre members of the WTO over and over and then do jobs for them and spoiler alert none of your decisions matter in the long term anyway (not that they mattered in the short term). they took out modular damage-- not just for you but for everybody. Headshots have no effect on enemies. Because of the small, corridor maps mission design shifts between boring and almost interesting. Graphics are geometrically simple and flooded with 2004-era bloom. Exterior locations are indistinguishable from interior locations. Characters are boring and flat, so those decisions that don't matter won't even give you sufficient tactile feedback.

The game stiiiiiiiiiiiinks. It's not good for what it is if you ignore its pedigree. If its pedigree was Underwhelming 64 this game would still stink.

Zomg

Arbiter
The thing about IW is why its shittiness went internet meme when it is no shittier than most and had normal game journalist reviews IIRC. I can't remember it being worse than any generic A-level-yet-consolized game of that era.

Edit - I missed that second post bhlaab. Damn it took me 8 minutes to write that? Did i get up and go pee? I... I can't remember

bhlaab

Erudite
waywardOne said:

don't forget ragdoll physics. no one blows up anymore.

The physics are actually great. Want to have the greatest extent of fun you can have with this game? Download the demo and just spend all your time throwing things at Billie's head.

Basketballs, trophies, potted plants... When they connect they just kind of go THUNK and her head jerks back as she stands perfectly still and her dead eyes focus attentively forward. Then go outside into the hall, pick up the dead security guard and toss him at her head. He will go fucking nuts and descend her like a weird spider.

I could do that for about 20 minutes. I have, actually.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Horrible game, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Don't play it, it has awful gameplay, characters, one of the most retarded dubbing, it's horrible in every way I may think of. Not saying how I would compare it to Deus Ex because that's like comparing Fallout3 to original Fallout. Don't play it, leave only good memories with Deus Ex and don't damage them with Invisible Wars.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Konjad said:
Horrible game, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Don't play it, it has awful gameplay, characters, one of the most retarded dubbing, it's horrible in every way I may think of. Not saying how I would compare it to Deus Ex because that's like comparing original Fallout to Fallout3. Don't play it, leave only good memories with Deus Ex and don't damage them with Invisible Wars.

This. It honestly isn't worth playing. Just read a synopsis if you want to know what happens in regards to JC.

bhlaab

Erudite
Pablosdog said:
Konjad said:
Horrible game, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Don't play it, it has awful gameplay, characters, one of the most retarded dubbing, it's horrible in every way I may think of. Not saying how I would compare it to Deus Ex because that's like comparing original Fallout to Fallout3. Don't play it, leave only good memories with Deus Ex and don't damage them with Invisible Wars.

This. It honestly isn't worth playing. Just read a synopsis if you want to know what happens in regards to JC.

No, actually, don't. Because like everything else about the game, what happens with JC is retarded.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
All the criticism is accurate, although I would still say the game is worth playing. Although largely unappealing in terms of graphic, the game still has the tendency to suck you in with its atmosphere and music. The storyline, despite a few rough edges, is in fact pretty interesting -- there is no main bad guy as in Deus Ex, merely different groups which have competing visions of the future. In some ways too, the game feels like less of a shooter than the original, as there are fewer shooting segments and more time is spent exploring cities, talking with NPCs, and doing side quests.

Give the game a shot. It's not nearly as good as DX, but it definitely has redeeming features despite its many flaws.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As a shooter with RPG elements I actually think it's a good game. I liked sneaking into hotel rooms and assassinating business men and shit... plus I love anything cyberpunk.

The main issues with the game, outside of the loss of complexity and mechanics from the original naturally, is the small areas and frequent load times. The textures are terrible, but there's a good mod for that.

Overall it's a terrible sequel but a decent shooter/stealth game.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
It really is quite horrible compared to DX1, for the reasons mentioned. The story/consistency is horrible and practically rapes the first setting, the levels are similar and completely constricted, customization is almost removed and retarded design decisions like universal ammo clutter the game. Even the graphics suck immensely - wait until you see your character in-game, you'll know what I mean.

Even so, give it a go. DX is brilliant game design, so even its shadow will make a somewhat playable game.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Get The Nameless Mod instead. It is way better at being Deus Ex than IW is.

spekkio

Arcane
Play it just to see how awesome DX1 was and how horribly all attempts at "making games more accessible" end up.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Much, much smaller levels (one might even call them tiny), it's all more futuristic and the story is overall worse than DX1 (in my opinion), but it's still an okay game. Try it if you can get it for cheap or just pirate it. The game still tries to give you different ways through the levels (go in guns blazing, or try a sneaky approach, or do some hacking etc) but it really suffers from the tiny levels.

DX2 and Thief 3 are the perfect examples how consoles can ruin perfectly good games.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
spekkio said:
Play it just to see how awesome DX1 was and how horribly all attempts at "making games more accessible" end up.

I don't think that was the problem. The problem was that they wanted to make it multiplatform - and the XBox back then was so sucky that it couldn't support large levels, which is why we ended up with incredibly fucking small areas and lots of loading times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom