Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Is Kinkmaker gud?

• Thread starter Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal
  • Start date

Is Pathfinger: Kinkmaker a gud game that is worth buying/playing?

• Yes, it is good

• No, it's shit

• I am ambivalent

• Haven't played it

• Kingmaker

Results are only viewable after voting.

jungl

Augur
They should make their own homebrew campaign and setting like the knights of the chalice guy or pick a intersting licensed one. Baldurs gate 2 was fun cause of the variety of places you visited. In kinkmaker its all forests for the most part. And while baldurs gate 1 was fun and had its pros I'm sure we can all agree 2 was the better game.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Secondly, their stats and builds are rubbish too.

50/50 on this. Some like Amiri, Jubilost, Octavia etc. work well even if they aren't perfectly optimized. Jaethal is unoptimized but has the added benefit of being Undead, meaning that an optimized build would just be bonkers on her. Then you have characters like Valerie and Harrim, that have basically been given shitty builds on purpose and the dev's response when you bring it up is "Fuck you". Harrim is the one that hurts the most. He's a Cleric, and one of his main character traits is being an obsessive, nasty, bore. So his dump stat would be CHA, right? Haha, fuck you it's DEX, have fun never hitting anything asshole.

Er, Harrim is a cleric with 18 wisdom, 16 constitution, 14 strength, heavy armor proficiency, and a bunch of touch/melee based stuff from his destruction domain—why would you give him a ranged weapon? He’s meant to be in the front line. Stick him in the heaviest armor you can find (who cares about the DEX penalty?) and give him a heavy shield. If you just want a healbot cleric with a bow, use Tristian.

I’m glad most of the companions aren’t optimized. Ekundayo is ridiculously overpowered and even Nok-Nok, with a much lower point buy, is a fucking death machine. If the chapter one companions were like them, the game would be too easy.

hell bovine

Arcane
He's a Cleric, and one of his main character traits is being an obsessive, nasty, bore. So his dump stat would be CHA, right? Haha, fuck you it's DEX, have fun never hitting anything asshole.
And that's why Owlcat keeps patching away the difficulty and people are still complaining...

Cael

Arcane

50/50 on this. Some like Amiri, Jubilost, Octavia etc. work well even if they aren't perfectly optimized. Jaethal is unoptimized but has the added benefit of being Undead, meaning that an optimized build would just be bonkers on her. Then you have characters like Valerie and Harrim, that have basically been given shitty builds on purpose and the dev's response when you bring it up is "Fuck you". Harrim is the one that hurts the most. He's a Cleric, and one of his main character traits is being an obsessive, nasty, bore. So his dump stat would be CHA, right? Haha, fuck you it's DEX, have fun never hitting anything asshole.
Player: Why is Harrim such a nasty asshole?
Paiturd: He's a dwarf. He has a Cha penalty.
Player: Yes, but his actual Cha is 16.
Paiturd: He's a dwarf! He's supposed to be an asshole!
Player: A penalty to Cha doesn't mean he has a Cha of 8 or less.
Paiturd: Fuck you! This is our dwarf! You will play what we ram down your throat!

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Paiturd: Fuck you! This is our dwarf! You will play what we ram down your throat!

It's obviously because of his massive schlong.

Cael

Arcane

Wouldn't that just give him a reaction bonus vs females and Tristan?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Wouldn't that just give him a reaction bonus vs females and Tristan?

Everyone respects big dicks.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck

haven't played much yet because of the patching going on, but I've always dropped Harim early on. Problem wasn't that he's an asshole, just weird in a non-interesting way. His portrait is that of a frustrated old Jew or disillusioned Muslim immigrant with heavy armor and a flail, which is a p. good portrayal of how things about this character just don't add up. He is more than willing to infodump you right away about his faith, but there's just no coherent train of thought there. It all came out like "the Dark God cares so little about anything he totally wants to destroy things but without a single fuck given of course". Illogical angsty teenage bullshit. Do we know who wrote him, because my guess would be MCA. I did get the idea that he was supposed to be a 'swing' character (chaotic neutral alignment on top of it sure seemed like a dead giveaway), but I don't even care enough to bother with that. If the writing starts out painfully bad, AND the stats don't justify keeping that character either, that character is just a waste of space.

Admittedly I don't know enough about Pathfinder to say if there aren't ways to get a good build out of him, my first thought was making an Int sorcerer/ cleric multi class out of him, which seemed like a passably good approach. Still he seems like absolute replay material when you've run out of actually interesting companions. Granted, the other companions aren't that much more interesting on the surface either, but they're also less offensive.

Harrim offensive? Bland, I'd get that, but offensive? Anyway, his charisma is 10. And his low dex matters less once you stick him up front with a heavy mace and board and in heaviest armor you can find.

purpleblob

Savant
How's Harrim offensive? He sounds like a sad puppy whining all the time (except that puppies are cute but Harrim isn't).

ArchAngel

Arcane

haven't played much yet because of the patching going on, but I've always dropped Harim early on....
Don't be like Cael.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Harrim offensive? Bland, I'd get that, but offensive? Anyway, his charisma is 10. And his low dex matters less once you stick him up front with a heavy mace and board and in heaviest armor you can find.

nop. Barbarian Girl is bland. But even she had a nice twist in that she was not stronk independent wahmen who changes her tribe's traditions just by being stronk. She's obviously frustrated that she had to gtfo because she failed to establish herself as an equal warrior, and her attempts to overcompensate for her 'weakness' (of being a gurl) are both ridiculous and kind of charming. That character actually turned out better than I'd thought at first, but at the end of the day she is still a hurr durr big babbarian warrior.

Harim OTOH seemed like the most interesting companion at first glance. But only at first glance. The magic died the moment he launched into one of his monotonous, meaningless diatribes.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Man, people really label everything offensive these days.

most times players dislike a game it's because something offends them, not because too many things are bland.

Infodumping can be offensive. Too many fetch quests can be offensive. Bad balancing can be offensive. And a companion who's kind of weak mechanically compared to other characters and who also gives you an earful of his grimdark worldview when you talk to him is also a case of bad balance.

I totally get you want some easily accessible companions, and some who are rough around the edges. But then those companions need to offer the player something to make them worth the investment (of nerves).

Guess I'm just thicker-skinned then, because I had to really think back to find a game character that I would label "offensive" - M'aiq the Liar in Oblivion. You know, the character that literally calls players idiots for daring to think that Todd's masterpiece might be flawed. Now, that's offensive.

Harrim, the most you could call him is not interesting enough. He's not my favorite character, but I think he's ok. Focused him on necromancy, gave him a good mace (there are some very good maces early in the game) and he pulls his weight just fine. When he starts preaching during his quest I can disagree with him, and when he tries to do so to others they usually tell him he's full of shit. Here's my favorite quote of his: "Everywhere I go, a pall hangs over everything. Though people say it was better before I arrived." His writing is not taking itself too seriously, and I'm ok with that.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Guess I'm just thicker-skinned then, because I had to really think back to find a game character that I would label "offensive" - M'aiq the Liar in Oblivion.

or maybe just thick

You know, the character that literally calls players idiots for daring to think that Todd's masterpiece might be flawed. Now, that's offensive.

see, it just depends on your standards.

Harrim, the most you could call him is not interesting enough. He's not my favorite character, but I think he's ok. Focused him on necromancy, gave him a good mace (there are some very good maces early in the game) and he pulls his weight just fine. When he starts preaching during his quest I can disagree with him, and when he tries to do so to others they usually tell him he's full of shit. Here's my favorite quote of his: "Everywhere I go, a pall hangs over everything. Though people say it was better before I arrived." His writing is not taking itself too seriously, and I'm ok with that.

whow, Harim's writing not taking itself seriously, now that's a long shot. I was certainly looking for some signs of either self-awareness on part of Harim, or some irony on part of the writer. Both did nnot materialize.

Not being familiar with Pathfinder idk wtf Harim's faith actually is, and his ramblings were incoherent and illogical enough to just drop him. And mechanically he just wasn't effective enough to put up with that.

I felt like Harim might be a time intensive companion, who requires help in soul searching from the player. But like I said, to make me want to sit down and perform some psychoanalysis on a dwarf with a midlife crisis to try to find out what his major malfunction is that made him embrace some nonsense faith, you need to give me some incentives. Like Harim being an actual powerhouse in terms of build. The way it is now, like I said, Harim is 3rd playthrough material.

This is actually kind of the opposite problem that exists with interesting characters, e.g. Dakkon in PS:T. Dakkon's history and personality are super interesting, but at the same time he's a very effective character to have around, and you don't want to fuck up his development by saying anything 'wrong'. IOW you've got a strong incentive to metagame your conversations with Dakkon, when they are actually so interesting and thought provoking that you feel like just speaking your mind to him.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Harim is a "chosen one/champion" of some "decadence god" who gave him some power to "spoil things" but poor bastard just wanted to be a normal dwarf crafter.
Unhappy from being "unfit" he's got full emo and tsundere.

Dude is a very ok companion.

Actual crappy companions are the nigger and tristian, nok nok is also pure joke.
Is also beyond me how octavia don't have some super dark/insane/violent hidden side.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Harim is a "chosen one/champion" of some "decadence god" who gave him some power to "spoil things" but poor bastard just wanted to be a normal dwarf crafter.

Actual crappy companions are the nigger and tristian, nok nok is also pure joke.
Is also beyond me how octavia don't have some super dark/insane/violent hidden side.
You can guide Octavia that way if you want to with their companions quests.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
or maybe just thick
Or maybe you just need to grow some fucking skin yourself, if that's all it takes for you to start throwing the word "offensive" around.

:lol:

Maybe we need to put up a little trigger warning for you if a post contains the word 'offensive'. So much for your thick skin.

Stupidity is offensive too. Like a bad smell.

doesn't really compute

yeah, I didn't actually consider Nok Nok either. OTOH some people just seem to love him because muh sneak attacks. If those players have no problem with having a fucking rhyming Leprechaun in the party in exchange for him being powerful overpowered, that's just fine IMO.

My favorite companion was Regongar, mechanically solid (but not too much), likeable (but not too much).

Maybe we need to put up a little trigger warning for you if a post contains the word 'offensive'. So much for your thick skin.
Well, you started with this offended idiocy, so maybe you are in need of some trigger warnings as well. How about "Warning: Not dwarven Dak'kon"?

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Well, you started with this offended idiocy, so maybe you are in need of some trigger warnings as well. How about "Warning: Not dwarven Dak'kon"?

"lolol actively disliking things I don't mind is stoopid"

thanks for playing, retard. Also thinly veiled "I have sand in my vagina because I read the word offended and I thought we'd all agreed only purple haired snowflakes are supposed to use the word so we can turn it into a single word meme" post.

You failed at reading comprehension as well. I said a similar problem exists in Dakkon because he's actually too useful and too interesting; so you have good reason not to skip him, and if you take him along, you have good reason to metagame your relationship with him instead of just talking naturally despite his dialogues being very well written.

Harim is like the antithesis to Dakkon; a companion that's subpar, and also has nerve grating dialogue, so you have absolutely no reason to choose him over others except for the heck of it.

Ideally, characters should fall somewhere in the middle IMO; they're either very useful mechanically, but may actually draw the character/ player into a test of wills; you know, characters with a justification for their arrogance that e.g. Edwin never had. Either that, or they should be serviceable - maybe even hampered - mechanically, but with an interesting history and interactions that justify having them tag along and spending time on guiding their development, or at least getting to the bottom of what that character is about.

Falling somewhere in the middle could also mean what I said for Regongar, a little bit useful and a little bit interesting, but that's not the characters that stay memorable after you've finished.

Right back at you buddy.

I still don't know how you failed to make use of Harrim mechanically though. I know he is effective with heavy armor + mace/board + necromancy focus.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
I still don't know how you failed to make use of Harrim mechanically though. I know he is effective with heavy armor + mace/board + necromancy focus.

the point isn't getting some use out of him - you'd have to be pants on head retarded not to manage that, but maybe you are - the question is if he's as good a Cleric as Barbarian Girl is a Barbarian, Tank Girl is a tank, Linzi is a buffer etc. In particular the question is if he's as good at being a Cleric as dead Elf chick is, my instinct would be to say sure as fuck not.

edit: dead elf chick was a healy kind of support IIRC.

And then he's an annoyingly superficially characterized infodump companion to boot. Nothx.

Like I said I kind of hoped that if you dig deep enough you can show him the logical error of his rambling ways and help him get his shit together. But there's too much actually interesting new stuff going on to bother with that on the first (or second) playthrough.

He is good at what he does, throwing nasty high level high DC spells. I'm not crazy about him, but I'd certainly take him over Amiri build as a barbarian. And what infodumps? Unless you actually ask him questions, the only time you get anything out of him is during his quests, just like any other NPC. And I've been through his quests so I really don't know why they would bug you so much. Show him the error of his ways? Ugh, no thanks, I try to avoid playing team therapist as much as I can. If Harrim wants to be a depressed cleric of weird god, he can knock him self out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom