Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is KoToR worth playing?

Kaol

Educated
Becasue i can't get it to run on windows 7. Is it worth spending a day trying to get it running or not?

Shadenuat

Arcane
If you're into Star Wars universe, then yes.
P.S. The sequel made by Obsidian is worth playing even if you're not SW fan. Be prepared for bugfest though.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Strange, it ran just fine on my machine, only problem I had was that it crashed every few hours. I think I still used vista back then but if it runs on vista it shouldn't have any problem on 7.

Did you patch it?

Kaol

Educated
Yes but i get some error about a atioglxx.dll, googling it and seems a few have that problem too, can't find a solution that works though.

NewFag

Educated
Played through the first but not the Obsidian sequel. Was okay at the time I played it, but I can't seem to recall much details anymore. Forgettable? Mediocre? Play it if you have nothing better to do. That's my policy for the second one. What's the Kodex Kritikal Konsensus for KoToR 1 vs KoToR 2?

racofer

Thread Incliner
Kaol said:
Yes but i get some error about a atioglxx.dll, googling it and seems a few have that problem too, can't find a solution that works though.

What GPU do you have and what version of Catalyst are you using? That dll is ATI's OpenGL driver.

In any case, install the latest drivers (11.11a preferably). Then, download Catalyst 9.12 hotfix drivers (google it up and grab it from guru3d.com), run the installer as to extract the files but don't proceed with the installation.

Then, go to your C:\AMD\ folder and locate the file atioglxx.dl_ (note that there will be two versions, one for x86 and another for x64, so pick the right one). Copy this file to you KotOR folder, then open the command prompt window and navigate to your KotOR installation directory. Run the command:

Code:
C:\...\KOTOR FOLDER>expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll

This will decompress the file. Now try running KotOR and see how it goes.

Alternatively, download the atioglxx.dll for W7x64 from here (http://www.mediafire.com/?lu59dmh8gq48ah9) and simply copy it to your KotOR folder.

Stinger

Arcane
NewFag said:
What's the Kodex Kritikal Konsensus for KoToR 1 vs KoToR 2?

I can't speak for the codex but for me both games have shit gameplay but Kotor 2 at least has a great story and criticises a setting that really deserved it.

Also Kotor 2's hilariously high level cap for the player (50) compared to enemies (30) meant that the tedious combat was pretty much skippable around halfway.

Renegen

Arcane
I'd say it is. The game is basically a d20 based system so it's quite familiar and deep. The story is forgettable, but quests overall try to be interesting. KOTOR 2 on the other hand is great because it has a completely different feel, revisits some old locations, lets you level up and customize your character even further and has just overall improvements that make it more fun.

Achmed1974

Novice
There is someone here that is highly respected that has played the game 7 times. A testament to its greatness.

xemous

Arcane
KOTOR is definitely worth playing and is one of the greastest cRPGS right up there with fallout.

Last edited:

Annonchinil

Scholar
I am replaying it and am finiding it rather boring. Remember it being more fun the first time. A lot of it seems typical Bioware.

Do you like lots of trash combat, with practically no set piece fights in the game that require any sort of tactics beyond spamming Flurry/Rapid Fire, Force Push/Wave, or Force Lightning/Storm and occasionally healing? Because that is exactly what you'll get in KOTOR. The end boss fight is the only real exception, and it's ripped straight out of the end boss in Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast, except implemented in a really derpy way. There are also plenty of times when it looks like an intense boss fight could possibly come up, but then the game cockblocks you (I WANT TO FIGHT A KRAYT DRAGON! Game: You could never fight a Krayt Dragon). The combat engine isn't great, but it's the complete lack of good encounter design that really sinks KOTOR.

And the game doesn't really make up for this huge flaw in any real way. Choices are mostly illusory, and the majority of quests are the fore-bearers of the "modern" quest design KKKodexers love to mock. Quests are typically fetch/kill affairs that are either known to be Light/Dark upon entry, and totally linear, or have the player character do the same thing in any case, then select a Light/Dark side dialogue option at the end. There are some quests that deviate from this model, but they're few in number. I did think it was kind of cool that you could actually get your character executed if you failed a court trial quest though. Kinda funny, and nowadays would result in AWESUME COMBAT if you fail a Speech check (or even if you succeed....GG Obsidian).

The writing is typical Star Wars stuff, nothing really praiseworthy, but I'm not going to fault Bioware for handling the setting in the right manner. I will fault them for terrible NPCs forced into your party, and the "four hubs" style of narrative design, which is a great way to ruin even the most simple of plots by destroying any kind of tension or pacing. Hey antagonist, just chill for 20 hours while I do a bunch of stuff unrelated to the main quest. It's less egregiously awful here, because there isn't some event of apocalyptic proportions looming over the character's heads, but I still think it detracts in a big way.

TL:DFR version: Nah bro. There's better things to do.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you like Bioware RPGs, you'll probably enjoy KOTOR. It hits every cliche they're known for.

KOTOR 2 is a great game weighed down by a shitty engine, bugs, and a development time cut short. Still, the story and characters make it worth a playthrough.

Kaol

Educated
racofer said:
Kaol said:

What GPU do you have and what version of Catalyst are you using? That dll is ATI's OpenGL driver.

In any case, install the latest drivers (11.11a preferably). Then, download Catalyst 9.12 hotfix drivers (google it up and grab it from guru3d.com), run the installer as to extract the files but don't proceed with the installation.

Then, go to your C:\AMD\ folder and locate the file atioglxx.dl_ (note that there will be two versions, one for x86 and another for x64, so pick the right one). Copy this file to you KotOR folder, then open the command prompt window and navigate to your KotOR installation directory. Run the command:

Code:
C:\...\KOTOR FOLDER>expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll

This will decompress the file. Now try running KotOR and see how it goes.

Alternatively, download the atioglxx.dll for W7x64 from here (http://www.mediafire.com/?lu59dmh8gq48ah9) and simply copy it to your KotOR folder.

Thanks that actually worked. Intro videos caused it to crash but i just deleted them and now it goes straight to menu which is better anyway. Hoping it dosnt crash when it tris to play any videos tho.

TripJack

Hedonist
It is a standard bioware game.

Somewhere between mediocre and shit.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I made it to some dragon in a cave and the game bugged out and just crashed every time, uninstalled and never missed it. p bad game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom