Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is KoToR worth playing?

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
A sith school in general doesn't make sense. Even if you had a large number of Sith operating in the open they wouldn't have one. They're not interested in spreading their philosophy. They're just interested in power and control. It makes sense for a master Sith to have an apprentice because he can't do everything, but why would he share his knowledge and power with random strangers? Further more specifically strangers who are hell bent on acquiring as much power as possible and would kill him given 1/2 a chance and anything to gain from it?

It would have been better set up as something like Sith hermets living out in the wilderness that you have to seek out and convince them to teach you. Also spread it over all the other planets and just cut Koriban out, or have Koriban as just a really small area were you find the most powerful of the Sith masters.

Of course this would have destroyed most of the more interesting stuff Bioware made.

A similar post to yours got me banned :)
Was ..naive?.. enough to post something similar in the SWTOR forums, when information about the shitwreck it would come to be started coming out
The sad thing is that it is a logic that expands further..how many types of RPGs have we played where 'mage' academies exist?

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Sith in general shouldn't work in any organized capacity, really. A group whose only openly encouraged method of promotion (to the point where it is considered a rite of passage for any true sith) is through killing your superior? Jesus.

Maiandros

Learned
Possibly Retarded
no one with such power would (why should they), in any a setting even remotely resembling one with similar cultural norms to our own. Not unless the 'apprentices' were fully controlled and intellectually oppressed. It's utopic anyway you look at it. And sadly just one of many negative aspects of so many RPGs..not just a Bioware thing

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Korriban has brilliant C&C in KOTOR1, with lots of different choices... all of which result in you being forced to kill all the Academy inhabitants anyway.
If you side with Uthar without doublecrossing him or side with Yuthura but don't convert her to the light side then the Academy students won't attack you on your way back.

I seem to remember one of them saying, "Oh yeah, you'll have to kill all the students anyway". Can't remember who said it. Usually on dark-side playthroughs I kill them both because of how weak they are.
Sounds like a Yuthura-conversion decision. Uthar would just attack you again and Yuthura being in charge of the academy means they won't attack.

DemonKing

Arcane
I thought the Korriban section was the best - I seem to remember some great voice acting from the male instructor in particular. Also KOTOR had HK-47 - you can't go wrong there!

Yes the main protagonist was a dumb, cackling villain and Carth was annoying (why do they insist on using that voice actor over and over again?) but overall I thought Bioware did a decent job creating a game that felt like Star Wars but was far enough removed from the movies to exisit on its own merits.

I enjoyed it more than the sequel which seemed to have been cut off at the knees in order to get it out the door (although I'll admit Kriea was a brilliant character).

Deleted member 7219

Try KOTOR2 again. It does everything better than 1... the story, writing, the companions, the way skills and feats are handled, crafting, player choice...

oscar

Arcane
Except unlike KotOR what had a few potentially mildly challenging fights (the Sith governor/the elite Sandpeople on Tatooine) KotOR II was a constant cakewalk, especially late game. Even as the non powers-based class by the end game you have enough force points to spam lightning spam every round (even if you're max light side) without even denting your force bar.

But it's not really a game you play for challenging tactical combat so KotOR's far superior writing wins out. It's also unfortunate that the beginning space station segment (which is quite mysterious and ominous the first time around) isn't very replayable due to its strict linearity.

wwsd

Arcane
Vatnik
Korriban has brilliant C&C in KOTOR1, with lots of different choices... all of which result in you being forced to kill all the Academy inhabitants anyway.
If you side with Uthar without doublecrossing him or side with Yuthura but don't convert her to the light side then the Academy students won't attack you on your way back.

I didn't realise that. I think I'm just used to doing the triple-cross, and forgot what happens if you play it (relatively) straight. I'll have to try it sometime, when I finally feel ready to join the elite who have finished this game 7 times. Right now, I just find myself sitting in the start screen, thinking: "Do I really want to slog through the Taris undercity and sewers again, when I broadly know what's going to happen and there are so many better games to spend a free afternoon on? Naaahhhh..."

Harold

Arcane

Feargus said:
We pitched a between-Episode III and Episode IV game [to LucasArts]. Because we think that timeframe is super interesting. It’s the fall of the Republic, the extermination of the Jedi, it’s Obi-Wan going off and making sure Luke is OK. You have the Sith, but you have the extermination of all Force users except for very, very few. So it was an interesting time to set a game, and you know, Chris Avellone came up with a really cool story.

So basically they just pitched k2 in a different era. Avellone, I am disappoint; stop going to retard-hipster gaming conventions, sit down and think of something new ffs.

argan

Augur
Depends. If you're a Star Wars fan, then yes, it's quite enjoyable. If not, skip it.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
Finished this game a week or so ago and I gotta say...no, not really. It's appreciated they tried to adapt a TT system but the RTwP combat is still pretty shitty, the worlds look nice but are rather small and use the typical Bioware hub structure which kind of squashes verisimilitude, there are a few interesting quests (like some involving solving legal cases) but most are typical go here and find/kill that, and the "twist" near the end is pretty ridiculous and basically killed any interest in the story for me. Also, at least on my system, it was rather buggy. My toon kept locking up after combat and I had to reload and then, on top of that, it crashed a lot when I did. It's not terrible I suppose but like the guy above said only reason to play is if you like SW (which I personally don't).

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
A sith school in general doesn't make sense. Even if you had a large number of Sith operating in the open they wouldn't have one. They're not interested in spreading their philosophy. They're just interested in power and control. It makes sense for a master Sith to have an apprentice because he can't do everything, but why would he share his knowledge and power with random strangers? Further more specifically strangers who are hell bent on acquiring as much power as possible and would kill him given 1/2 a chance and anything to gain from it?

It would have been better set up as something like Sith hermets living out in the wilderness that you have to seek out and convince them to teach you. Also spread it over all the other planets and just cut Koriban out, or have Koriban as just a really small area were you find the most powerful of the Sith masters.

Of course this would have destroyed most of the more interesting stuff Bioware made.

It is the rule of 2 that doesn't make sense. It is beyond stupid. Not only that, but the justification for the rule of 2, that otherwise the apprentices will gang up on the masters and kill him. That is so utterly retarded, that there should be an award for it.

And the sole reason for this bullshit is that in the OT there was only Palpatine and Vader (they weren't called Sith then, as that word did not exist in the SW lexicon. Palps was meant to be a force user who did not learn the jedi ways but instead embraced the dark side. A sorceror basically. While Vader was a traitor/fallen Jedi. Heck, Admiral Moti even says Vader says sorceror ways) and both Palpatine and Vader were attempting to recruit Luke and kill the other. So in the PT Georgie boy decided he needed to explain why that was, just like he needed to explain the Force (midichlorins) and explain Vader (baby ani) and explain Boba Fett (army of fetts, jango, and ofcourse baby boba). No one at Lucasfilms had the spine to tell him when he was full of shit.

So anyway, just because Palpatine wanted to betray Vader, and Vader wanted to betray Palps, somehow this dynamic unique to them became applied to the entire Sith Order, i.e. that the apprentices always want to kill their master.

I hope Disney retcons all bull shit like this.

oscar

Arcane
I'll never understand how people thought it'd be interesting to stretch out Star Wars beyond the original movies. It worked partly because it dropped you in the middle of a setting the viewer had no background for. You don't know why or really care why there's a rebellion against the Empire there just is. You don't know the history or diplomacy of the different alien races they're just there and have unique personalities. You don't know the specifics of how the force works, it just lets them do cool shit and defy the odds.

Far better to just leave it to the viewer's imagination than try and milk it as a cash cow.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
I'll never understand how people thought it'd be interesting to stretch out Star Wars beyond the original movies. It worked partly because it dropped you in the middle of a setting the viewer had no background for. You don't know why or really care why there's a rebellion against the Empire there just is. You don't know the history or diplomacy of the different alien races they're just there and have unique personalities. You don't know the specifics of how the force works, it just lets them do cool shit and defy the odds.

Far better to just leave it to the viewer's imagination than try and milk it as a cash cow.

Actually, I am pretty sure Lucas didn't make the movies purely, or even mostly for the cash. He made most of his fortune from merchandising, not from the movies itself (though ofcourse they themselves did make a lot of money. but they also have a lot of work and expenses involved. With merchandising, someone else makes the toys and Lucas gets free money)

He made the movies because he wanted to one up himself, and revolutionize special effects again, and because he wanted to complete the saga (originally he wanted to make episodes 1-12, then it became 1-9, then finally 1-6) Unfortunately, he started doing fan service. It all became about Vader and Fett and Obi Wan. EP1 was actually superior to the other two in the respect that it had the least amount of fan service. Sadly, it also has Jar Jar, baby ani, and c-3p0.

No.

First one is shit in all it's aspects. Gameplay is bland and uninteresting and the story is filled with typical pre-homoerotic bioware cliches and recycled characters.

Second one is more interesting because it deconstructs the Star Wars world but the gameplay is even more horrible cos you are able to stomp on every face the moment you unlock a prestige class.

oscar

Arcane
Watching Avellone flail against Arcanum wolves has sort of made me realise perhaps why the combat in KotOR 2 was so, so piss easy (even compared to KotOR 1).

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
No.

First one is shit in all it's aspects. Gameplay is bland and uninteresting and the story is filled with typical pre-homoerotic bioware cliches and recycled characters.

Incorrect. It might seem that way in retrospect, but when originally played when it came out. KOTOR was revolutionary. It was the FIRST Bio game to utilize the forumla that became standard for their single player games latter.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It was the FIRST Bio game to utilize the forumla that became standard for their single player games latter.
Wrong as usual Andhaira. The formula had already been used in NWN1 OC. THREE TIMES.

There was nothing revolutionary about KOTOR. It was literally NWN1 OC in the SW universe and on Xbox. Albeit made even easier than NWN1 (and thankfully a little less tedious), with a little more control over the henchmen. Might seem like "revolutionary" compared to how shit these were in NWN1, but then it's not as if Bioware themselves hadn't released the IE games a handful of years earlier, and it's not as if full party control had been a staple of gaming since the early 80s.

KOTOR wasn't even revolutionary with romances, since BG2 already had them.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
It was the FIRST Bio game to utilize the forumla that became standard for their single player games latter.
Wrong as usual Andhaira. The formula had already been used in NWN1 OC. THREE TIMES.

There was nothing revolutionary about KOTOR. It was literally NWN1 OC in the SW universe and on Xbox. Albeit made even easier than NWN1 (and thankfully a little less tedious), with a little more control over the henchmen. Might seem like "revolutionary" compared to how shit these were in NWN1, but then it's not as if Bioware themselves hadn't released the IE games a handful of years earlier, and it's not as if full party control had been a staple of gaming since the early 80s.

:retarded:

Your stupidity is overwhelming. You should win an darwin award, since those too are stupid because they award a mentally insane person who larped a sane academic.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer

Actually it was Baldur's Gate II that started that formula, not Neverwinter Nights.

Regdar

Arcane
Actually it was Joseph Campbell who first outlined the formula in the late 1940's.

And yes, if any part of you is capable of stomaching another epic hero's journey (I know I'm a sucker for them) then KotoR is definitely worth a spin.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I tried replaying through this myself not too long ago. I figured since I hadn't played it since the PC version was originally released (nearly a decade ago now) mixed with heavy modding that it'd be a somewhat fresh experience. Looking for a decent mods for the game was a mistake -- there aren't any. While K2 has the various cut content restoration mods and other decent ones, K1 really has nothing of that caliber, instead the majority of the mods are just crappy texture replacers, over powered new items, and model replacers. Admittedly, there actually are a few cut content restoration mods for K1 but whereas K2 had large chunks taken out of it, K1 mostly just had some fat trimmed, so outside of maybe being able to take Bastilia (or however you spell her name) onto Korriban, they don't really restore anything of particular interest.

As for the game itself, I found it to just be incredibly dull. I didn't make it past the part where, after becoming a Jedi, you're tasked with exploring some ruins on Dantooine. Everything about the game is either tedious or boring; the maps are needlessly large for how empty and void of content they usually are, dialogue seems to almost always only come in one of two flavors: dry exposition or a crappy attempt at humor, quests are generic and bland, and worst of all is combat. Even on the hardest difficulty level the game is so easy that you seldom need to plan or even put any thought into issuing orders, which has the added downside of making spending anytime thinking about how to build your character pointless as there's really no wrong way to build your character, especially once you start gaining levels as Jedi.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom