Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is RPG Codex the only place on the Internet where Larian and Beamdog are hated?

flushfire

Augur
Only other place I've seen where criticism towards them isn't instantly shut down is in GOG. Even then the ratio is like 50:50. I'm no longer surprised people defend even the blatant cashgrab NWN:EE.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
blatant cashgrab NWN:EE.

If Beamdog had unhardcodded certain things and made modding spells, feats, stats, etc; easier on NWN1 or FIXED classes like Pale Master, Arcane Archer and necromancer specialization, i would't classify it as a "cash grab"... PRC needs a lot of external work to work and not every module can be run with PRC.

PS : I own NWN Gold on GoG but purchased NWN:EE just because i wanna play on Linux without wine.

Codex hates everything, but seriously who likes beamdog?

The guys who aren't banned from beamdog forums? hu3hu3.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Is RPG codex the unique place on the internet where Larian and BeamDog are hated? I an not agreeing or disagreeing, just asking a question.
Unfortunately there are places out there that still like Larian. After my work here I will try to convince them but for now I'm stuck leaving comments in this shit hole. Hopefully after bg3 releases more people will see how shit they are and help

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Is RPG codex the unique place on the internet where Larian and BeamDog are hated? I an not agreeing or disagreeing, just asking a question.
Unfortunately there are places out there that still like Larian. After my work here I will try to convince them but for now I'm stuck leaving comments in this shit hole. Hopefully after bg3 releases more people will see how shit they are and help

Larian's pretty dece

:kingcomrade:

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

In my experience almost noone has positive words to spare for Beamdog. At best they are a neutral factor when they just port a game without any changes, at worst there is Siege of Dragonspear. They are nowhere near the same level as Black Isle/Bioware and the direct comparison shows that. The only place where you find Beamdog praise are maybe their own Steam forums. A collective sigh of relief went through the rpg world when Larian was announced since "At least its not Beamdog as rumored before".

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The only thing you're convincing people of is that Laran haters are retarded and should not be taken seriously. Good job! :salute:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
their ports all run fine. Their new characters are a mixed bag, but not exactly awfull.
Their offerings technically "run", but they have more bugs than the original versions. The only ok EE is Planescape I'd say. Their usage of BG2's engine in BG1 is also an unforgivable sin. The only ok character is Dorn.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
their ports all run fine. Their new characters are a mixed bag, but not exactly awfull.
Their offerings technically "run", but they have more bugs than the original versions. The only ok EE is Planescape I'd say. Their usage of BG2's engine in BG1 is also an unforgivable sin. The only ok character is Dorn.

They created some interesting bugs in Planescape EE that weren't part of the original.

One of the worst is the map reset bug where sometimes your saves get fucked and previous maps you've visited get reset back to their original state.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

They created some interesting bugs in Planescape EE that weren't part of the original.

One of the worst is the map reset bug where sometimes your saves get fucked and previous maps you've visited get reset back to their original state.

True, now that you say it I ecnountered that once. It was a strange thing, as it lead only to a partial reset of that sensate whorehouse. Fall from Grace was duplicated and I could loot all chests twice, but the quest states were remembered as completed. Reloaded an earlier save and it went away but that was extremely weird.

Cael

Arcane

True, now that you say it I ecnountered that once. It was a strange thing, as it lead only to a partial reset of that sensate whorehouse. Fall from Grace was duplicated and I could loot all chests twice, but the quest states were remembered as completed. Reloaded an earlier save and it went away but that was extremely weird expected of cuckdog.
Corrected ;)

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
at worst there is Siege of Dragonspear.
SoD is ok, nowhere near the worst Beamdog have done.

Its the only thing they have ever done with the DnD license, their ports all run fine. Their new characters are a mixed bag, but not exactly awfull.
The new areas they added to BG1 and BG2 all look like piss shit vomit shit ass dick fuck poopoo doodoo. It's like they designed those maps with a resolution of 0x0 in mind.

User0001

Savant

Its the only thing they have ever done with the DnD license, their ports all run fine. Their new characters are a mixed bag, but not exactly awfull.
The new areas they added to BG1 and BG2 all look like piss shit vomit shit ass dick fuck poopoo doodoo. It's like they designed those maps with a resolution of 0x0 in mind.

I want to agree with you, but after relooking at the new dragonspear areas., I kinda' feel that- that was the only good thing it rightfully did. The maps had a certain Icewind Dale feel to them. I'm not saying they were AS good as Icewind Dales, but a good effort. : )

Also, I hate the new characters so did not see new areas in the bg1ee & 2ee.

screen14-1440x810.jpg

druid%2Bhouse.jpg

screen08-1440x810.jpg

iwd29.jpg

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I only saw Neeras new quest areas in BG 1. It looked fine, if a little unambitious, was basically just a fat cave. Neeras gameplay was cool since it was the first sorcerer I played in BG, fitted her character well.
I liked the Monk (Rahsad?) aswell, but Monks suck dick in 2e so I didnt take him with me for long.

In BG 2 I didnt use any new characters since BG2 has a stronger roster than BG1 already.

I feel like Beamdog lack soul in their new creation. They can copy stuff and adhere to all these rules but the spark of originality that makes their creation rememberable is missing.
I cant help but wonder what will happen to them as soon as they are done porting all those old infinity games? Will they get money for one big original standalone rpg in their remake engine? Will they fail miserably? Or will they just fizzle out and keep making contract jobs until they disband.

User0001 The second and fourth of the screenshots you showed are from Icewind Dale II, not Baldur's Gate.

Update: I now see I skimmed over the part where you were making comparisons. Doh. I'll award myself a participation trophy for this comment.

Last edited:

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

I want to agree with you, but after relooking at the new dragonspear areas., I kinda' feel that- that was the only good thing it rightfully did. The maps had a certain Icewind Dale feel to them. I'm not saying they were AS good as Icewind Dales, but a good effort. : )

There's nothing wrong with SoD areas. Some of them are extremely good looking.

It's the content added to BG1 and 2 through the enhanced editions that has backgrounds that suck big sweaty donkey balls (it's far more noticeable in the first game, though).

For example, in this area (that's from Neera's quest):
you can actually see the pixels. It's awful, and the backgrounds used in Rasaad's quest aren't any better.

I only saw Neeras new quest areas in BG 1. It looked fine, if a little unambitious, was basically just a fat cave. Neeras gameplay was cool since it was the first sorcerer I played in BG, fitted her character well.
I liked the Monk (Rahsad?) aswell, but Monks suck dick in 2e so I didnt take him with me for long.

In BG 2 I didnt use any new characters since BG2 has a stronger roster than BG1 already.

I feel like Beamdog lack soul in their new creation. They can copy stuff and adhere to all these rules but the spark of originality that makes their creation rememberable is missing.
I cant help but wonder what will happen to them as soon as they are done porting all those old infinity games? Will they get money for one big original standalone rpg in their remake engine? Will they fail miserably? Or will they just fizzle out and keep making contract jobs until they disband.
I'm not talking about the "inspiredness" of those areas. The problem is that the images used for their backgrounds are extremely blurry compared to those in the original games. They look wrong.

Last edited:

User0001

Savant
User0001 The second and fourth of the screenshots you showed are from Icewind Dale II, not Baldur's Gate.

Intentionally for the fourth (Icewind Dale 2), and the second one is Kuldahar from Icewind Dale

because of this statement
... the new dragonspear ... maps had a certain Icewind Dale feel to them...

Last edited:

Incendax

Augur
The only ok EE is Planescape I'd say. Their usage of BG2's engine in BG1 is also an unforgivable sin. The only ok character is Dorn.
Neverwinter Nights actually runs pretty smooth. The Android version is downright easy to use, compared to the shit UI the original game used.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
NWN EE is terrible in general.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom