Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is RPG Codex the only place on the Internet where Larian and Beamdog are hated?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
I feel like Beamdog lack soul in their new creation. They can copy stuff and adhere to all these rules but the spark of originality that makes their creation rememberable is missing.
I cant help but wonder what will happen to them as soon as they are done porting all those old infinity games? Will they get money for one big original standalone rpg in their remake engine? Will they fail miserably? Or will they just fizzle out and keep making contract jobs until they disband.
agreed - they suffer from a common 21st century ailment, where soulless husks can only observe what was done in the past and produce knock-off cargo cult copies, with any new content limited to memes de jour (the surest sign of a quasi-human robot) - see also, endless movie remakes etc.

CRE (Creativity) is clearly their dump stat, but their drivel spreads online and infects common sources of information - and suddenly idjits think their foul regurgitation is the original, an improvement over it, or on par with the real thing

the only solution is a violent revolution

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
]agreed - they suffer from a common 21st century ailment
Not to be pedantic, but this isn't a 21st century thing. It was first observed by the philosopher Derrida and the theorist Frederick Jameson in the 80s. How our promised bright future never came to pass and the neo-liberalistic trends of society demanding immediate results (monetary or otherwise), so we are unable to anticipate any other kind of future to create new cultural possibilities. Revivalism and pastiche haunt us because we have no future.

Last edited:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
NWN EE is terrible in general.

They could have done so much, like adding full party control to turn it into an actually good game, but they didn't.

No new features, just slightly improved visuals and bugfixes... for a game that has received those from the modding community for almost 20 years now.

GREAT FUCKING JOB BEAMDOG

Not like the IE games hadn't been fixed by modders already, too.

Darkzone

Arcane
]agreed - they suffer from a common 21st century ailment
Not the be pedantic, but this isn't a 21st century thing. It was first observed by the philosopher Derrida and the theorist Frederick Jameson in the 80s. How our promised bright future never came to pass and the neo-liberalistic trends of society demanding immediate results (monetary or otherwise), so we are unable to anticipate any other kind of future to create new cultural possibilities. Revivalism and pastiche haunt us because we have no future.
Stop reading works by retards. This isn't helpful for the development of your analytical cognition capabilities.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Don't put Larian and Beamdog on the same level.

Larian is like that guy who's a bit weird, has OCD, maybe on the spectrum but nice enough really and probably won't shit his pants in the office a 2nd time.

Beamdog is like the time I grew up in a small village always knowing I was slightly different from my sisters. I was simply not as good at sewing dresses as they were. I didn't really have that artistic flair or dexterous nature with a needle. My cooking just wasn't as tasty, and lacked a certain feminine charm, for which my mother would often beat me. So eventually I just cut my dick off.

Fishy

Savant
I don't hate either. Haven't played enough of the Larian games yet to make an opinion, and as for Beamdog, I'm not an original-harware fetichist, so I enjoy the EEs for not having to faff around to get shit running on a modern OS with a widescreen resolution.

If Beamdog had unhardcodded certain things and made modding spells, feats, stats, etc; easier on NWN1 or FIXED classes like Pale Master, Arcane Archer and necromancer specialization, i would't classify it as a "cash grab"... PRC needs a lot of external work to work and not every module can be run with PRC.

The modding isn't my scene, I'm just happy to play the modules, but haven't they unhardcoded a good few bits in recent patches?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I don't think Larian is disliked by the tyical codexer, it's just a small number of haters who can't shut up about it. A lot of people dislike DOS2's itemization, but that's not the same as hating the company.

Darkzone

Arcane
Beamdog is an excellent example of the Dunning-Kruger effect. Little people who think they are giants.
Yeah little people who understand that immediate result (positive or negative) is necessary feedback (trainings impulse) for the training of neural nets. While the giants think that this is not necessary. Yeah clearly a good one.

Edit:
Sorry somehow i haven't read the Beamdog name and have read Codex instead. So i thought that you have addressed my previous post. Fuck i need perhaps glasses.
You are correct on the part of Beamdog.

Last edited:

Curratum

I think Beamdog are universally hated. Not sure about Larian though.

Mortmal

Arcane
I don't think Larian is disliked by the tyical codexer, it's just a small number of haters who can't shut up about it. A lot of people dislike DOS2's itemization, but that's not the same as hating the company.
Just have a look at post ratios for larian haters , that must be close to 90% in politics and general discussions. As for beamdog , they did SOD , they probably could do a decent 2e rpg , remasters are of no interest to me.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The modding isn't my scene, I'm just happy to play the modules, but haven't they unhardcoded a good few bits in recent patches?

The PRC mod still needing a lot of external work to work.

I'll 1v1 anyone irl for talking shit about swen

I an 1,85m tall( 6' 1" ), with broad sholders and can lift 500kg(1100lb) on leg press 45º. Wanna x1?

Just have a look at post ratios for larian haters , that must be close to 90% in politics and general discussions. As for beamdog , they did SOD , they probably could do a decent 2e rpg , remasters are of no interest to me.

I would love a Netheril themed game on 2e but WoTC would't never allow that...

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Don't confuse a vocal minority with 'the Codex' or even the majority of posters.

Plenty of people like or even love Larian, tho admittedly they lost some goodwill after DivOS2 (mostly due to the armor and initiative system, it seems). And then you always have a handful of haters who can seemingly sway a whole discourse through the sheer power of autism. Still, Larian is probably more liked around these parts than not.

Now, Beamdog on the other hand...

Darkzone

Arcane
I an 1,85m tall( 6' 1" ), with broad sholders and can lift 500kg(1100lb) on leg press 45º. Wanna x1?

Now that is nothig speciall (FH= 350kg), but do not do the leg press. Most people that i know bend their lower back and this way they make the lordosis to a kyphosis overworking (tearing) their intervertebral discs causing L4-L5 problems. I therefore recommend only Squats and Deadlift.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now, Beamdog on the other hand...

Underrated reason for Beamdog disregard IMO is that most people weren't really very interested in rehashing the IE in the first place

Even before the bugs and the arrogance, even before the lame new companions and tranny NPCs, a lot of people's reaction to the idea of a new BG1 expansion 17 years later was but_why.gif

User0001

Savant
DOS 2 had bad designidé with elevation. Jumping up and down all the fucking time, in every single encounter, going up and down small mountains out of combat as well. Instead of using elevation sparingly, that would have created equilibrium, the experience became a zigzag. Bad itemization has already been mentioned, and the dialog was mostly adequate. World reactivity was astute, bringing much joy to play around in the world, but ultimately made you a mishmash mess of a character that could do everything/anything by the end. Some fun puzzles but nothing intriguing by any means, that were lacking in impacting mystique, because you were never really fucked if you did something wrong - the story always adapted with only slightly changing some lines here and there, but nothing game-changing (or did I miss something?).
It's a game with technical brilliance and tremendous potential, but lacking emotional impact.

Mortmal

Arcane

Same , but that's about 20 years wotc do nothing with the licenses , they dont want our money...Been reading latest book, wildemount, its not bad , but why play that instead of FR, greyhawk , ravenloft or mystara.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture

Same , but that's about 20 years wotc do nothing with the licenses , they dont want our money...Been reading latest book, wildemount, its not bad , but why play that instead of FR, greyhawk , ravenloft or mystara.

This stuff has two million views:

Capitalizing on their success doesn't seem like a bad idea. "Netheril" gives less than 80.000 results on Google, "Critical Role" almost a billion.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Beamdog is hated nearly everywhere well except in their own weird forum.
Larian is extremely popular the only ones who hate them now are the BG fanboys.

Say whatever you want about critical roll but it one of the reasons games like Solasta or even BG3 exist today. They helped to make DND more popular than it ever was.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom