Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Is the AAA Gaming Industry Crashing?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
This isn't the whole video. CleverNoobs reported Smudboy on YT, so they took his video down (he did it even on vimeo).

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Gaming will never crash because there will always be determined and smart people out there doing cool stuff with mod tools and shit.

The "industry" as an assembly-line machinery that shits out unimaginative products on an annual basis however is steadily going superannuated. Maybe not a total crash, but a considerable retraction for AAA productions. The likes of Rockstar, Bethesda etc. are going to survive because they take their time. The likes of EA, Square-Enix, Ubisoft etc. are going extinct because people neither have the patience nor excitement to waste their time with the trite shit they put out.

The 2nd law of thermodynamics will eventually be applied to this market too. It is only natural.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
smudboy smash gets hung up on semantics i am not autistic enough to care about and doesn't add any profound insight.
What?
Its hardly about a discussion of semantics and it does add a lot.

I understand you liked Clever Noob video but that's no reason to react, like he did, when people started pointing out that he was talking out of his ass, making stuff up contradicting himself. I dislike EA and other big publishers with similar business model but that's enough for me to go blind and believe this crap.
"Oh no this bad companies made bad things now the judgment day is upon them!" Yeah, right we all wish...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, I wish he spend more time adding data than bashing the guys... I have watched heard 1 hour and half of people ranting on modern games industry, and not a single word was said on increased development costs...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Industry is crashing so hard next Call Of Duty will break $1 billion revenue mark causing hollywood movie producers meltdown.

If it haven't already. Because Blops2 sold 15 million copies in the first month meaning $900 mln revenue

Grimlorn

Arcane
A game industry crash in 5-10 years would probably be the best thing to happen for consumers. EA needs to go. I think Activision would probably survive though. Not sure what's going to happen with Microsoft and Sony, but if they do what he talks about in the video then they should go too.

The problem I'm seeing though is that the gaming industry is so huge that it can probably survive just on their hype and marketing. They get people excited over crap and tell them to like their crap, so it's difficult to tell whether gamers would simply adapt to these changes and just roll with them like they have been. Another problem is that if there were a crash, companies in the US would probably be bailed out since they're so big, but not sure about that. Just wouldn't surprise me.

These companies are too afraid to try new stuff and stifle creativity. They think they can survive by buying any studio that does something new and is successful, but with crowd funding why would a developer ever sell his IP or ideas to publishers now? They'll just water anything unique down with cutscenes and accessibility to the point where the original reason those ideas were a success is no longer there.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I understand you liked Clever Noob video but that's no reason to react, like he did, when people started pointing out that he was talking out of his ass, making stuff up
contradicting himself.

all youtubers talk out of their ass, the important questions is what points do they rise.

i am really not autistic enough to care whether the gaming industry went down by 98,67%, i am just interested into the fact that it went down. spergboy doesnt add anything of value.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
Industry is crashing so hard next Call Of Duty will break $1 billion revenue mark causing hollywood movie producers meltdown.

If it haven't already. Because Blops2 sold 15 million copies in the first month meaning $900 mln revenue

these sales will wittle down eventually, as publishers put all their money on a single title to let them stay afloat essentally reselling the same game on a yearly basis

we need game development/publishing with a strong profile, f.e. paradox

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
do we need a crash?

yes.

will we get a crash that we need?

no.

what we need is a return to actual innovation and creation. not cheap knockoffs of previously possibly grand examples of the pinnacles of gaming. unfortunately it seems we wont return to it until after the crash happens.

if and when it happens it will be an absolute bloodbath.

there are a few possible cornerstones that i see that would cause the crash.

EA
Blizzard
Bethesda
Eidos
Square

and a few others. i postulate that if even one of these dies, it would have a monumentus effect that could start a domino chain of taking down quite a few. leading to a crash. the guy makes an incorrect assumption. a hit does not guarantee a good stock price. it can surely help, but it does not guarantee. a companies stock price is determined not by how healthy that company is doing, but rather in the confidence in that company to make a profit by wall street and investors. all they really have to do is lose that, and the company goes bankrupt.

failed and mediocre games cause that, but do not solely determine that.

a company can release hits and still fail.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Until the console retarded audience stops paying money for these terrible games (with even more and more less gameplay) it won't be crashing anytime soon.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
No, not every youtuber talks out of his ass. Some people care for facts.
For the truth. You don't have to be autistic to care for what is bullshit and what isn't.
You should be ashamed for posting this. Noob Clever is making stuff up and trying to
predict something with the stuff he made up. A pity there is this thing called reality...

MetalCraze

Arcane
these sales will wittle down eventually, as publishers put all their money on a single title to let them stay afloat essentally reselling the same game on a yearly basis

Activision has other franchises to milk. And will have new ones. Before Call of Duty other game series did the milkage. MoH. Battlefield. Might and Magic. Ultima. Goldbox.

It will happen again and again. It will be another mainstream game with a different name and even bigger profits that comes out every year and is a reskin of a previous one.

People will not acquire some sophisticated taste. People love casual shit where they don't have to think or try.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Call of Duty sales had peaked from what I read, that is why Actvision tried to add something a little different on Blops 2, probrably Modern Warfare 4 is going to sell the same amount of Blops 2 but not more and that means tha new fans aren't entering on the Call of Duty crazy and you can't milk the same people forever. Some CoD retards are going to buy CoD forever, but most people are going to get tired. CoD is going to have the same destiny that Guitar Hero. WoW still is a mchine of making money, but Blizzard is fighting to slow down the rate of unsubscriptions and they kinda suceeded but I don't know about Titan, when Blizzard released WoW there wasn't serious competition on the MMO market, if they release WoW 2.0 there is a risk of people rejecting it because they are tired of the gameplay and if they release something different it has a risk of alienating people. Activision have no imagination and depends on fads to remain lucrative, if it wasn't for the Blizzard merge, their future wouldn't be good.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Activision has other franchises to milk. And will have new ones. Before Call of Duty other game series did the milkage. MoH. Battlefield. Might and Magic. Ultima. Goldbox.

It will happen again and again. It will be another mainstream game with a different name and even bigger profits that comes out every year and is a reskin of a previous one.

People will not acquire some sophisticated taste. People love casual shit where they don't have to think or try.
Yes, the milking is going to continue but it will be Activison milking? Activision kicked EA balls very hard, but companies have a tendecy of becoming very slow to react and without imagination to invent something new. You only need to see League of Legends, Blizzard failed to see the importance of the DOTA games being too occupied milking WoW and Starcraft 2.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik

i didn't say that the masses will aquire some sophisticated taste. I say that publishers with a clear profile will make it through an eventual crash, while those who don't and just put out games on an assembly line will die.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This isn't the whole video. CleverNoobs reported Smudboy on YT, so they took his video down (he did it even on vimeo).
Wait, what? So if you're butthurt because someone made a video that points out your video says stupid things/makes bad arguments/etc., you can just report the other person's video and have it taken down? Are you fucking kidding me? And let me guess: there is no acceptable appeals process for this at all, right? What can you even report it for? Fake copyright violation?

DeepOcean

Arcane
Those Clever Noobs should be called Coward Noobs, they could easily made a video as counter argument for Smudboy but they decided to choose the faggot way of appealing to Youtube retard censure system.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Until the console retarded audience stops paying money for these terrible games (with even more and more less gameplay) it won't be crashing anytime soon.
:lol:

Also, remember the PCtards that are too happy with giving money to Blizztard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom