Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there a 10 check for every skill (and stat) in Age of Decadence?

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
It felt like part of the design of Age of Decadence that there should be a 10 check for every skill or stat or at least for the civil skills but I wonder if I'm actually right on that one.

The idea comes from three things:
- Why would it be possible to put skill points into a skill which checks only up to 7? In AoD nothing feels wasted, the only thing that doesn't have a purpose is the wine and afaik it was intended to have a purpose
- It's a great way to lock content - like with Lore, Intelligence, Crafting, Charisma 10 checks
- It makes sense that there's another guy in the world who's mad skilled at something - the best creator of locks, the best creator of traps, someone who knows almost all tricks in dialogue etc.

Are there 10 checks for every civil skill? I doubt it in the case of traps, lockpick has some high checks but I don't know if there's a 10 check there, Etiquette is another candidate.
You can spoil me with the exact situations, I'm just curious.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
while i dont remember exact values, there were joined checks. For example charisma + streetwise, so if your charisma was low you could max streetwise to still pass it

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
There are a couple but I thought of exclusive 10 checks. It's still helpful in these situations.

Self-Ejected

NIGERundayoHater

Self-Ejected
I believe that there's a high skill check in Zamedi related to portal. Something like 8-10 lore with 8-10 int that requires a total combination of 18, which is 10 int and 8 lore or 10 lore and 8 int.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Yeah, there are a couple of skills which got a ten-check - I was thinking more about the less prominent ones (but I also doubt that there is a 10 streetwise check - maybe a combination check)

Johannes

Arcane
There's 10 lore check(s), not so sure about any other skill... Can you list the others you can think of Moaning_Clock ?

Would make sense for the skills to have different maximum values, which correspond to the highest check there is. So a bit of handholding to not make ppl waste their skill points so easily.

Technomancer

Liturgist
Loremaster specifically has a 10 INT check that allows them to have a little conversation with Feng about gravity wells of planets. It has no effect on the game, its just flavour text that reveals some information.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
There's 10 lore check(s), not so sure about any other skill... Can you list the others you can think of @Moaning_Clock ?
Most skills seem to end at 6-8. Crafting, Alchemy and Trading go up to ten due to systemic use. Some combination checks can make use of a higher skill (Persuasion + Impersonate = 15 etc.)
According to the fandom wiki there are 10 checks for every of the six stats except constitution but maybe they just missed that one.

But the more I think about it, it's also a little bit of an autistic approach. Just to do every stat completely you would need 36 situations (6 stats with 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) and on the skill side it would be 108 to do the civic skills (12 civic skills * 9) - I skipped the combat stats. In a game with a lot less skills it is viable but even with the impressive extensiveness of AoD I understand why they didn't do it, even though I would have liked 10 checks for every skill.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Most skills seem to end at 6-8
Iirc it depends. The highest check for speech skills is 12 combined streetwise+persuasion, but only in sidequests. If you're doing a merchant run they go higher, not sure if it's all the way to 10.

Johannes

Arcane
There's 10 lore check(s), not so sure about any other skill... Can you list the others you can think of @Moaning_Clock ?
Most skills seem to end at 6-8. Crafting, Alchemy and Trading go up to ten due to systemic use. Some combination checks can make use of a higher skill (Persuasion + Impersonate = 15 etc.)
According to the fandom wiki there are 10 checks for every of the six stats except constitution but maybe they just missed that one.

But the more I think about it, it's also a little bit of an autistic approach. Just to do every stat completely you would need 36 situations (6 stats with 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) and on the skill side it would be 108 to do the civic skills (12 civic skills * 9) - I skipped the combat stats. In a game with a lot less skills it is viable but even with the impressive extensiveness of AoD I understand why they didn't do it, even though I would have liked 10 checks for every skill.
I dont think it'd add to the game necessarily to add such extra checks just for the sake of it. But the game should not let you invest points in a skill higher than there is any need, so if highest Etiquette skill is 6, cap that skill at 6.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
But the game should not let you invest points in a skill higher than there is any need, so if highest Etiquette skill is 6, cap that skill at 6.
But wouldn't it be weird to have a skill that goes up to 10 and another which only goes up to 6? I don't know if any game does that. Sure you could lower all skills to 6 but if some stuff should be locked for especially hard skills the only option is to use combined skills in that case.

Technomancer

Liturgist
When you sell something to anyone? Doesn't it scale with the skill, maybe I'm wrong? That's at least what I mean with systemic use.
Ah you meant that. I thought there was dialogue check somewhere. Because without fun content, no one ever will level Trading to 10 lol.

Johannes

Arcane
But the game should not let you invest points in a skill higher than there is any need, so if highest Etiquette skill is 6, cap that skill at 6.
But wouldn't it be weird to have a skill that goes up to 10 and another which only goes up to 6? I don't know if any game does that. Sure you could lower all skills to 6 but if some stuff should be locked for especially hard skills the only option is to use combined skills in that case.
Can't think off the top of my head of a game that has that, but probably it exists. Nothing weird about different things having a different range.

Lowering all skills to 6 would be totally unnecessary and mess with the banalce, idk what would be the point of that.

Moaning_Clock

SmokeSomeFrogs
Developer
Lowering all skills to 6 would be totally unnecessary and mess with the banalce, idk what would be the point of that.
The only point would be to have all skills with the same ceiling. It would struck me as weird but I think it depends on the implementation. If it would be like perks, it would not be weird at all that one branch has 5 and the other only 3. Maybe it is just weird because I never saw it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom