Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Is there a single Romance of the Three Kingdoms that is any good?

vota DC

Augur
I played IV only. Are sequels bad? And first 3 were Better than IV?

A modded romance of the three Kingdoms could be a Birthright gorgon's Alliance remake?

Difera

Educated
I played IV only. Are sequels bad? And first 3 were Better than IV?

I really enjoyed VII, IX and XI... I'd say VII was my favorite, but I am a bit biased since it was the first one I played, it was a kinda of a novel experience for me at the time.

Recently I put about 15 hours into the XIII (Steam version) and found it to be a downgrade in almost every aspect.

dehimos

Augur
Yes, I agree:
- VII and VIII I think they were very similar and improved the classic line. In this style you can find similar games made in China (for example, Three Kingdoms The Last Warlord).
- X gives weight to the characters, this RPG component is hated by a lot but I liked.
- XI more strategy and tactics. The last good game with interesting mechanics.
- XII and others: nice graphics.

Over the years many have tried to create mods but it is very complicated: modifying any RotK is a lot of work and adapting The Romance of the Three Kingdoms to other games requires a lot of resources.

Not forgetting that KOEI has dead games with good things (Napoleon, Celtic Tales: Balor of the Evil Eye, Genghis Khan Saga) that all used a similar Rotk-style engine. This kind of games is still alive in independent games:
- Of Gods and Men: The Daybreak Empire https://store.steampowered.com/app/936610/Of_Gods_and_Men_The_Daybreak_Empire/
- Chaos Galaxy https://store.steampowered.com/app/1184840/Chaos_Galaxy/

Tigranes

Arcane
2, 3 and 4 are superb in their own way. They all share the DNA of a solid old school strategic map-painter formula. 2 was my first and there's a nice soft spot for how you can play it entirely on the keyboard very snappily and with a hex-grid combat. 4 is probably the "best" entry to the series given its stylish presentation and relative balance in complexity of systems.

5 is kind of similar to 4 and could be enjoyed, esp. for its tactical 'formations'.
11, as dehimos says, is the last actually good game - it can be wearisome with too much makework but does provide the benefit of integrating strategic and battle map creating some interesting chokepoint fights.

The series essentially started doing 'spinoff' games within the mainline series, and 7 is perhaps the pinnacle of that focused on the life of a single character going through various stages of the hierarchy. It is fun to try.

Most of the later iterations are weak from actual gameplay perspective, and unfortunately it looks like 11 was the one last hurrah before total dumpster fire.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Most of them I never played since they weren't translated into English for the PC, but RTK 11 is definitely my favorite. I really like the combat in it. But it does have the problem that you see so often where they made a really good game but they couldn't make an AI that knew how to play it well. It's a bit disappointing when you go up against Cao Cao and he's not even on your level.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom