Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is there any value in allowing characters to walk rather than run in an isometric RPG?

Skinwalker

*teleports between you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Yes, and also, every character response should be entered one character at a time, unless the player is holding down the shift key constantly. It adds so much value and realism!

An RPG lacking the ability for the characters to walk, is lacking the ability for the characters to move plausibly; made worse by the walking (and likely never running) NPCs.
What about the ability for characters to perform bowel movements plausibly?
Your strawman has been beaten into shreds at this point. Keep whacking at it if you want but no one is impressed.

For about the 1000th time, it's not about portraying every boring event in a character's life. It's about the events that ARE portrayed being portrayed with verisimilitude.

Movement is an inescapable part of games. What's in the game should look good. Therefore the movement should look good. That's it.
It's so hard to make a convincing argument and actually achieve any kind of consensus. Much easier to just claim it already happened right? The problem is, me and everyone else got together at your mom's house, and after the gangbang we all agreed you're wrong and bad at video games, and you also actually hate RPGs. Your mom totally agreed, and made us all grilled cheese sandwiches. But they were fucking disgusting and terrible, and she said that's your fault too.

And also, you care about games looking good? Who knew you were a goddamn graphics whore this whole time? Please, REAL gamers fill in running and walking animations in their minds. And they skip the walking animations because they're stupid and a waste of time, even in ones own imagination.

We all know you're great at holding things, Liberal.
Uh.... burn? I mean... the structure is there for a burn at least. I mean... I'll assume the thing you're insinuating he's holding is a penis, and furthermore, it's a different man's penis, right? But you're making me do a lot of work for what is supposedly your insult.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems you just care about things you like and dismiss anything you dislike as unimportant to me.
If you want to make a genuine case for forced toilet scenes in games instead of just trolling w a strawman, be my guest and I look forward to that thread split. However your point bears no resemblance to any point being made by anyone else here.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
If the movement speed matches the game engine and the rules system of the game, I'm ok if it's a walk, run, or teleportation. I can't picture "always run" in a game like IWD nor can I in a game like Gothic 2, where always running would more than likely get you murdered every time you ran into the woods. I can't picture Fallout with always walk, either, as *generally* you don't trigger combat by running into the wrong section.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
One example of a game I recently played where walking had no point was Jade Empire. It doesn't have stealth, enemy encounters trigger automatically when you approach, no environmental damage areas or anything like that, in fact it had no exploration-related mechanic at all. I activated walking once during my entire playthrough, just out of curiosity.

JE is also not a good RPG, if you can call it a RPG at all. Which goes back to my previous point that implementing walk and run animations and giving players reasons to use both will result in a richer gameplay experience. A game with real-time movement where there is no point in having a walking animation is probably lacking something.

One example of a game I recently played where walking had no point was Jade Empire. It doesn't have stealth, enemy encounters trigger automatically when you approach, no environmental damage areas or anything like that, in fact it had no exploration-related mechanic at all. I activated walking once during my entire playthrough, just out of curiosity.

JE is also not a good RPG, if you can call it a RPG at all. Which goes back to my previous point that implementing walk and run animations and giving players reasons to use both will result in a richer gameplay experience. A game with real-time movement where there is no point in having a walking animation is probably lacking something.
Your take here is that jade empire's problems as an RPG are related to its underuse of the walking animation?

Jade Empire was not a great RPG, although it did have a very interesting story that kept me playing, and the gameplay was good enough not to get in its own way. But moving more slowly would not have made a difference to that.

Now, getting back to the heart of the matter, I think we've settled on the realization that more games need immersive toilet gameplay. The real question becomes, what does this gameplay look like? Do we need motion controls? I am pretty sure we do need motion controls, otherwise how to we make sure the player is doing a proper wiping motion? And the post peeing shake, very important that you get that right. I mean, imagine, you're an NPC and some nasty asshole approaches you, with a piss stain on his pants because he's drip drying his dick, and he smells like shit because he can't wipe properly! That's like... -6 charisma, at least. And I don't care how many rings of human influence you found at the circus, nobody wants to deal with your nasty ass.

As a side note to that important and serious point, what's up with all the minimods trying to control the flow of conversation? If you've made your point and feel the conversation is no longer useful, why not just fuck off, or make low effort troll posts, like a normal person? Hell, make your own thread about how you're the only real CRPG players because you like to watch animations of slow walking, and everyone else is a philistine for not agreeing with you? Then we can go there and tell you what you really meant by your OP and it'll be fun for the whole family!

Bigg Boss

Arcane
The mod for FNV where you had to watch your weight and speed on terrain or you would fall and break your legs was great. I did not play it on a normal game though.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The mod for FNV where you had to watch your weight and speed on terrain or you would fall and break your legs was great. I did not play it on a normal game though.

Tuckered Out? I remember that one. Was removed from Nexus though.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Your take here is that jade empire's problems as an RPG are related to its underuse of the walking animation?

Jade Empire was not a great RPG, although it did have a very interesting story that kept me playing, and the gameplay was good enough not to get in its own way. But moving more slowly would not have made a difference to that.

Walking more slowly wouldn't make a difference because the game didn't have any exploration mechanic. Walking around in Jade Empire works exactly like any game that isn't an RPG. That's why the option to walk, which is included in the game, is pointless.

If it had, for example, some kind of stealth mechanic that allowed you to preemptively attack enemies (which would've been a great way to quicken up the boring combat), than players would have a reason to switch the movement animation.

As a side note to that important and serious point, what's up with all the minimods trying to control the flow of conversation? If you've made your point and feel the conversation is no longer useful, why not just fuck off, or make low effort troll posts, like a normal person? Hell, make your own thread about how you're the only real CRPG players because you like to watch animations of slow walking, and everyone else is a philistine for not agreeing with you? Then we can go there and tell you what you really meant by your OP and it'll be fun for the whole family!

:shitandpiss:

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Maybe the best approach to movement speed is done in ATOM RPG. It dynamically choose to run or walk depending on the distance of the "click" from your PC. It feels natural. If you need to cover a long distance (typically when you backtrack), it is convenient to run, while if you are cautious and/or you are exploring thoughtfully a location, automatically the PC walks slowly following your "clicking" style.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe the best approach to movement speed is done in ATOM RPG. It dynamically choose to run or walk depending on the distance of the "click" from your PC. It feels natural. If you need to cover a long distance (typically when you backtrack), it is convenient to run, while if you are cautious and/or you are exploring thoughtfully a location, automatically the PC walks slowly following your "clicking" style.
Never played ATOM, but I've seen other games do this, and it works well. I'm sure most Codexers scream with impatience playing them though.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Never played ATOM, but I've seen other games do this, and it works well. I'm sure most Codexers scream with impatience playing them though.
I haven't replayed them in years, but don't Fallout 1 and 2 do this depending on distance away clicked and double clicking?

PapaPetro

Could make a mechanic that rewards walking over running. Like you get increased XP gain for clearing your mind from walking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
If you activate a trap or get stabbed while running, you should take more damage.

Norfleet

A PC should not be able to run through areas and fill out a detailed automap, for instance... Because the PC would not be able to do that. From a roleplay perspective, running into a trapped room should increase the chance of triggering a hidden trap.
That makes absolutely no sense in the context of a video game where the character's position is precisely known at all times. Your chance of triggering a trap would be exactly the same, 100%, assuming a trap exists, unless you're presupposing defective traps that only SOMETIMES trigger, or traps that are specifically meant not to trigger on whatever actually steps on them, like landmines that don't trigger on the first vehicle that passes.

Glop_dweller

Prophet
That makes absolutely no sense in the context of a video game where the character's position is precisely known at all times. Your chance of triggering a trap would be exactly the same, 100%, assuming a trap exists...
If the PC runs into a trapped room, they have less (if any) chance to spot a trap; that's only common sense.

unless you're presupposing defective traps that only SOMETIMES trigger, or traps that are specifically meant not to trigger on whatever actually steps on them, like landmines that don't trigger on the first vehicle that passes.
What exactly do you think a trap —is—? I am guessing that you are thinking of a floor plate that sinks when stepped upon (and that it should always sink), but it could be a tripwire, or a small stud in the floor; traps are generally meant to be bypassed by those who set them.

The point is that walking slowly, or even actively searching for traps affords some chance of noticing them—where sprinting into the area most certainly does not.

The same for mapping; no one can map a room they jogged past, and what is an automap but the assumed mapping by the [PC] observer—but what can they observe unless they pay the attention. Mechanically, it means they spent more time than if they just sprinted by; mechanically it's also a trade off. I can think of half a dozen or more RPGs just off the top where it costs ten minutes [game clock] to search a passageway, where the trap could have sprung if they did not.

Last edited:

Zombra

Patron
Also, I'm sick of these games where characters talk at normal volume. Why would anyone want that? We all know that screaming is better because you can hear it from farther away. Get rid of talking and make all characters in games scream only. In fact make them all scream constantly because why would you ever want to be not screaming?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom