Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Is there such a thing as Souls-like?

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Lyric Suite, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Alphard Savant

Alphard
    Then what does it make a game a souls like for you?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    ^ Top  
  2. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    looks trippy as fuck

[​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    If you are looking for a souls-like and refuse to play Salt & Sanctuary, you're doing yourself a massive disservice.

The game has the most DS writing, tone, setting and vibe in anything that's not made by From Soft. There is tons of well-hidden or obscure content, lore, mechanics and interactions / outcomes, the tone is dark as hell and the combat is snappier and sharper than any shitty 3D non-From DS wannabe.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Nortar Erudite Patron

Nortar
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What don't you get about personal design preferences,
    is it the only thing you can object to and even at that - sujbectively?
    You can like any shit you want, "souls-like" is not about graphics, it's about gameplay.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    I would say it's a shameless copycat.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Curratum Magister

Curratum
    It really is.
    I don't mind that when it's done well enough and is still tasteful and interesting, and S&S was that to me.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Falksi Arcane

Falksi
    https://www.heb.com/category/shop/everyday-essentials/laundry/bleach/490069/490278

^ Top  
  8. Fedora Master Arcane Patron

Fedora Master

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. gabel Learned

gabel
    Look at all the retards suggesting 2D games, when he specifically excluded them in the OP (first sentence, you imbeciles), lel.
    Yes, S&S and Hollow Knight are great and scratch that itch, but he asked for 3D souls-likes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. mogwaimon Savant

mogwaimon
    he literally mentioned all of the 3D ones in the OP that matter, except maybe Severance. There's just not that many good 3D Souls clones.
    confirmed illiterate, I and another person explained our reasoning behind suggesting Hollow Knight specifically and yet you resort to hyperbole and tomfoolery.

^ Top  
  11. CyberWhale Arcane

CyberWhale
    Moral Shell is basically a simplified version of Souls series. Decent enough, although it lacks enemy variety. Upgrading is RE4-like, pretty arcade-y and straightforward. Has a couple of it's own twists on the regular Souls formula, but not all of them are necessarily for the better. 7/10

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. gabel Learned

gabel
    He didn't, you fucking cretin. There are many more; Code Vein, Ashen, Hellpoint, Immortal Unchained, just to name a few that immediately come to mind. And even if he did, the correct answer then is not to recommend something he specifically did not ask for, but to simply say: there aren't any.

There are none, to be precise.

Jesus, people are getting dumber by the day, even if you think that shouldn't even be possible anymore.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. mogwaimon Savant

mogwaimon
    you yourself said those games were shit so, again 'he literally mentioned all of the 3D ones in the OP that MATTER'. besides if you've been around here for any length of time you'd understand that Lyric Suite probably isn't the type of guy who enjoys weeb shit like Code Vein, so why bother suggesting it?

also, again, reading comprehension fail but he didn't say 'no 2D games at all' just 'pixelated 2D sidescrollers that are only considered Dark Souls because it is teh hard', which I took to mean that a 2D game might qualify if it actually exhibited Souls-like qualities and wasn't some cheap poorly made piece of shit that the devs affixed the Souls label to to try and attract tryhards and people who just think hard = Souls-like.

^ Top  
  14. gabel Learned

gabel
    Yeah, next time someone asks me for a place to eat steak in my town, followed by the qualifyier "and please no shitty vegan place", I'm gonna recommend the one vegan restaurant we have here because we don't have steak houses and the vegan place isn't shitty. He specifically only exluded shitty vegan places after all.

^ Top  
  15. gabel Learned

gabel
  16. mogwaimon Savant

mogwaimon
    you'll also note he didn't confirm 'no sidescrollers at all' until after I made the HK post. Whatevs, it doesn't matter anyways, what's done is done.

^ Top  
  17. cruel Savant

cruel
    The only Souls-like games that were actually worth playing for me were Nioh, Nioh 2, Surge 2 and Code Vein (you need to tolerate anime for this one though). Rest is either average or shit.

Regarding Lords of the Fallen - the critique is actually valid, and mainly based on one thing: combat sucks. There is a permanent 300ms+ lag attached to each and every movement you make, which makes combat absolute shit. In a game like this, combat is one of the most important aspects, so I cannot comprehend how anyone can think of this game as good. Surge 2 is a masterpiece in combat design in comparison, while Nioh and Nioh 2 don't even compete in the same league.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Just removed Hellpoint from some inventory to check out what ghetto Dark Souls is like lmao.

Gotta say, those Souls-like are really basically just Souls copy cats. I had the same experience when i tried Lords of the Fallen (only did the tutorial but i already saw a move set that was lifted off straight from Dark Souls itself).

To be honest though, i don't mind them ripping off the series, as long as the games are decent enough.

This Hellpoint is supposed to be notable because of the level design but right off the bat i can see how they did it: everything looks the same lul. It's easy to make large sprawling levels when you can just copy paste the same rooms everywhere (that's how the catacombs in Dark Souls 3 felt like to me). While the graphics aren't exactly bad, they also feel somewhat dated (or anachronistic rather. They feel like something out of a mid 2000 MMO). Atmosphere is like a mix between Warhammer 40.000 and Babylon 5, heh.

Game is less janky than i expected though, i'll give it that much. The combat definitely feels Souls-like, whatever the quality of the actual game may be. Is there even multiplayer in this thing? Can't imagine many people playing, when the pvp was already reduced in Dark Souls itself.

Most notable thing so far: a jump button that actually works. Amazing to see that in a Souls game.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    ^ Top  
  19. Savecummer Latest Doxxer Account Edgy

Unwanted
    Is there such a thing as an RPG?

• No No x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Nifft Batuff Arbiter

Nifft Batuff
    Soul-like is a marketing buzz-word, but, taking it to the extreme, it can be considered the modern equivalent of old arcade coin-ops, when you are happy to improve your gameplay by replaying the same level over and over.

^ Top  
  21. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    This is the shit that makes me hate the indie scene.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Hey, I remember there was already a thread about souls-like games, lemme check...

[​IMG]

Nevermind.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • incline incline x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    I forgot about that lmao.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    The power of Dark Souls' level design is that you actually see this as a places where somebody "lives" and not just standing waiting for you to come. Undead City, Anor Londo, Duke's Archives are masterpieces of such design.

What Soulslike can compare with this?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    ^ Top  
  25. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Funny that you mention that because i'm roaming around Hellpoint and the level design is actually pretty good. I mean, in terms of how things are interconnected, where the secrets are etc. The problem is that it doesn't feel like a real place, all though the game has an interesting atmosphere all considered.

You can tell i'm addicted to this formula 'cause i downloaded this game more as a joke but i'm actually enjoying it now lol.

BTW, i just checked Mortal Shell on steam and the game still can't be bought? I thought it was out already what is this.

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.