Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Is Thief a downgrade from Deus Ex/System Shock 2/etc?

Ash

Arcane
TL;DR: Obsessive stalker whose internet presence revolves entirely around me because I showed him up one time and he wants to get his own back.
My attitude is very moderate, especially for the codex. Sometimes I'll be slightly rude, make mistakes (that I always acknowledge), or whatever. standard stuff. There are far more triggering individuals and straight-up degenerates you could stalk.

And when it comes to game design I've proven myself, damn near flawlessly. Back off.

Ash

Arcane
I preferred the pet when he was 100% loyal. Always worked in my favor that way and didn't aggravate me.

Dev_Anj

Learned
whose internet presence revolves entirely around me

You're overestimating how much time I spend on you. I talk more in chatrooms than on forums, and spend more time on Youtube in general on the Internet.

And when it comes to game design I've proven myself, damn near flawlessly. Back off.

Sigh It's aggressive statements like this that set me off, all the time. And it's not limited to the Codex either.

Anyway, have a look at my Internet presence that doesn't involve you:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/community/DevChandA

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgZl8PItWFqk3lqot1L59qM-b0pgPgIoz

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198093205948/home/

Ash

Arcane
Sigh It's aggressive statements like this that set me off, all the time. And it's not limited to the Codex either

When you harass people incessantly that makes them aggressive, who would have thought?

Ash

Arcane
Well, at least you respect privacy. Better than nothing.

I can be rude or aggressive. But again, it's moderate. And I like to think I'm always fair and never cross specific boundaries, and there are even instances of me publicly apologizing which is something one rarely sees online. This is the internet. Lighthearted rudeness = everyday norm. What you're doing is not.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
Thief is the purest Immersive Sim you'll get to play. Throwing stats at the player will never make up for the unique feeling of immersion you'll experience in the Thief series.
True gentlemen will also prefer Thief's subtle medieval steampunk setting to muh cyberpunk&conspiracies.

Last edited:

Max Heap

Arcane
This discussion is retarded.

Deus Ex and Thief are entirely different in their respective designs.
Basically the only thing they really share is (parts of) their development team

Deus Ex does things Thief doesn't even try to do, however Thief is absolutely excellent at what it does.

It's useless to boil it down to a couple of common features.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Moderators, please move the posts from the Prey thread to here.

tumblr_mu3scjR7k01shaex9o1_250.gif

Master

Arbiter
Overall interactivity in Thief is very limited. The environments are very static. You get very few tools to manipulate the environment, objects and AI. There's a severe lack of systems in general. It's a stealth game with lite Immersive Sim trappings and baseline, core design philosophy.

You could put out and even relight torches and fireplaces in Thief but couldnt break a simple lightbulb in DX and SS2.:decline:

Behead infidels who insult Thief.
By the way, am I the only one who dislikes the genre name "immersive sim"? Sounds retarded somehow.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
This discussion is retarded.

Deus Ex and Thief are entirely different in their respective designs.
Basically the only thing they really share is (parts of) their development team

Raging retarded Thief fans who can't read beyond the OP.
And retarded OP who can't even write a proper thread title.

I never said Thief was a "downgrade", I said it was a "divergence from what they were doing before". Do you fucktards even understand what that means? It was a divergence precisely because THEY ARE ENTIRELY DIFFERENT.

My god.
Volrath said:
I fucking hate modders.

I fucking hate retards. Of which you clearly are one. Thief fans gonna thief, it's like the game attracts the autists. Take DevAnj and fuck off back to TTLG where you dumb bastards can suck each other off.

Let me spell it out for you idiots clearly: when Looking Glass made Ultima Underworld they established a style of design. When they made Thief some seven or so games later, it was rather disconnected from that style of design except in core philosophy. It was ENTIRELY DIFFERENT. It was narrow focused stealth game, when before they were about kitchen sink design. That, my ever so friendly autists, is a divergence from what they were doing before. That's fine, they also made golf games, I also have a preference for Ultima Underworld over golf games, but even golfing game fans would probably not be so retarded if someone said they preferred what their favorite golf game developers were doing before making golf games. Stupid motherfuckers.

Thread proves my claim of it being overrated too, to the point its dumb rabid fans read the misleading title and see red.

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
I fucking hate modders.
Given that one of most common modder ailments is their obsession with bloating games with more and more additional features and mechanics, without thinking whether or not they fit the original vision, it is no surprise that Lord Autiste here is unable to appreciate extremely focused (or, for him, "limited") game like Thief.

Ash

Arcane
Sigh. Except that "ailment" is established to not apply to me. Do not speak of what you do not understand.
And for the record I like limited games, plenty of them, but I prefer complex ones. Is that a surprise? You're on RPGCodex, a board dedicated to what is perhaps the most complex genre. Duh.

Thief retards continue to think they're prestigious. Ironic when the majority of them are ignorant of the game's superior roots. How many of you dumb bastards commenting have even played Ultima Underworld? One? Two? Perhaps even none.

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
I am not going to waste my time on someone who is unable to comprehend that different games should be allowed to do different thing, or one who thanks what he himself calls "kitchen sink design" is always objectively superior to design that focuses on excellence in one field.

I bet you actually like stuff like the latest Ubisoft open world games, as they are p close to wat you consider to be superior design. Who the fuck cares that every single mechanic is shallow and superfluous, when the game does thousand things at one... Who cares that stealth boils down to staying out of AI line of sight and nothing more when there is gazillion other things going on other than stealth.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Thief: The Dark Project is the most immersive game I've ever played, and I didn't play it 20 years ago, I played it this year.

Deus Ex is immersive too, but Thief easily takes the cake.

Ash

Arcane
Lucas9 said:
Thief: The Dark Project is the most immersive game I've ever played, and I didn't play it 20 years ago, I played it this year.

Deus Ex is immersive too, but Thief easily takes the cake.

It's not about how immersive they are, it's the overall experience. And if we're talking in those terms it's down to personal preference. e.g RPGs vs Stealth games. You're on RPG codex, naturally you'll find people who prefer RPGs over stealth games. But Thief fans are known for being rabid retards so I shouldn't have "ruffled their feathers".

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
I am not going to waste my time on someone who is unable to comprehend that different games should be allowed to do different thing, or one who thanks what he himself calls "kitchen sink design" is always objectively superior to design that focuses on excellence in one field.

I bet you actually like stuff like the latest Ubisoft open world games, as they are p close to wat you consider to be superior design. Who the fuck cares that every single mechanic is shallow and superfluous, when the game does thousand things at one... Who cares that stealth boils down to staying out of AI line of sight and nothing more when there is gazillion other things going on other than stealth.

You're already wasting your time, and you clearly don't do a lot of "thanking" with that brain of yours.

Can you not comprehend that people like different things? I mean fucking hell you're shitting on me for preferring an RPG over a stealth game on RPG Codex.
As long as what I am stating a preference for is understandably GOOD (which Underworld, Deus Ex etc should be) and not lowest common denominator shit then it should be a simple disagreement. But not to a Thief fan, no. Can't have Ultima Underworld, a game we've never played, take Thief's glory. That would be blasphemous :roll: dumb ignorant bastards.

Anyway, thread title is entirely misleading. It's here to incite drama.

Last edited:

Master

Arbiter
OK but you did say that Thief is overrated in the immersion department. Thats a controversial statement.

Ash

Arcane
Nah, I said it's an overrated Immersive Sim (genre of game), but many Thief fans haven't ventured into Looking Glass' extended game catalog or looked into the company to know what that is. It's a very immersive game, no disagreement there, but Immersive Sims are about far more than just immersion, despite what the label would have you believe.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom