Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is this True?

Generic-Giant-Spider

Here's my objectively fair and modest view on the mainline Elder Scrolls games without needing to hear the sound of my cacophonous voice:

Arena - Fun but very flawed, provided a glimpse of what could be but marred by earlier development decisions.

Daggerfall - Personal favourite, the game they wanted to make with Arena and actually did. Not perfect by any means, but the incline was massive as was my erection while playing it. If this game was a woman I would make love to it on a bed of rose petals and ambient lighting.

Morrowind - Great game, fleshed out a lot more of the world and had some good writing as well as maintaining those vital RPG elements. At the time I shit on this game because I couldn't stand the idea of my little Daggerfall being dethroned but I learned to love and accept it. Like a stepson or gay child. Ahhh, fuck that, just a stepson.

Oblivion - This game sucks. The suckitude is magnified because you had a good pedigree of previous ES games before it so that makes this game suck tenfold. At least Skyrim had already assumed you had gutted expectations to prepare you for the torture, this game came on you like a prisoner in the shower. The only redeeming factor is the retarded situations that this game could spawn making it unintentionally comedic. Otherwise, I would rather put my computer through the Smash.exe virus back in the '90s again than play this sheer fisting of a game.

Skyrim: The Game of the Year Edition VR Special Gold Legendary Horse Armor Super Turbo Ultimate Dragons Saga feat Creation Club - I'll tell you in ten years when after five more re-releases are out there walking the earth like the Devil in disguise. I can't be bothered to use the 1,297 mods you need to not make it look and play like something your cat would bury in sand.

Cael

Arcane
Skyrim: The Game of the Year Edition VR Special Gold Legendary Horse Armor Super Turbo Ultimate Dragons Saga feat Creation Club - I'll tell you in ten years when after five more re-releases are out there walking the earth like the Devil in disguise. I can't be bothered to use the 1,297 mods you need to not make it look and play like something your cat would bury in sand.
Skyrim in 10 years.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I honestly don't know how anyone can take Bethesda games seriously.
4RNzgu8.jpg

Cael

Arcane
Games that end with you basically being a spectator while the NPC you've been covering for the last x number of gaming hours does everything is, by default, total coprolite.

Dux

Arcane
I'll never forgive Bethesda for completely wasting Liam Neeson and Patrick Stewart. Imagine them going at it with some Obsidian New Vegas-flavoured dialogue, in a setting that actually makes sense.

Urgh, I don't know why but lately I've been triggered by Fallout 3 something fierce even though I haven't played that POS in like seven years. Maybe it's because I played Fallout 2 recently. Oblivion might be senile and all but Fallout 3 is the true fucking abomination of the Fourth Age.

Cael

Arcane
I'll never forgive Bethesda for completely wasting Liam Neeson and Patrick Stewart. Imagine them going at it with some Obsidian New Vegas-flavoured dialogue, in a setting that actually makes sense.

Urgh, I don't know why but lately I've been triggered by Fallout 3 something fierce even though I haven't played that POS in like seven years. Maybe it's because I played Fallout 2 recently. Oblivion might be senile and all but Fallout 3 is the true fucking abomination of the Fourth Age.
Michael Dorn as Marcus, Sheriff of Broken Hill.
Liam Neeson as Vic the Trader.
Patrick Stewart as John Cassidy.
Gil Birmingham as Sulik.
Morgan Freeman as Gruthar.
Dame Judi Dench as Tandi.

I think we would basically have a winner.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I decided to watch his Arena/Daggerfall video just to make sure I wasn't missing something. He took four minutes to actually get to Arena, everything before that was a prolonged introduction with the ghostly white confession that Oblivion was his first Elder Scrolls game.

He proceeds to express hatred for the control scheme, the RPG elements in the combat, the alleged lack of direction, the confusing UI, and other things that back in the day was honey to broad-shouldered dice bros and repellent to consolefags. There's an assortment of jump cuts to other stuff, including the wonderful visual of the reviewer having water dripping from his 'brow to emulate sweat and inserted two second pictures of things he makes metaphorical reference to in case you were deaf and in need of assisted suicide.

All in all, I wasted 13 minutes of my life. 13 minutes I could have spent vacuuming and instead opted to listen to a guy rant about Arena/Daggerfall's shortcomings despite only doing four fetch quests and googling the endings. On the positive end, I now feel a little more connected to victims of waterboarding.

Hassknecht

Learned
All in all, I wasted 13 minutes of my life. 13 minutes I could have spent vacuuming and instead opted to listen to a guy rant about Arena/Daggerfall's shortcomings despite only doing four fetch quests and googling the endings.
That... Sounds oddly familiar. What's the ratio of "minutes" to "thread pages"?
To be fair, Daggerfall mostly consists of fetch quests and dungeon crawls, even if those are embedded in a good story.

LordofSyn

Scholar
I decided to watch his Arena/Daggerfall video just to make sure I wasn't missing something. He took four minutes to actually get to Arena, everything before that was a prolonged introduction with the ghostly white confession that Oblivion was his first Elder Scrolls game.

He proceeds to express hatred for the control scheme, the RPG elements in the combat, the alleged lack of direction, the confusing UI, and other things that back in the day was honey to broad-shouldered dice bros and repellent to consolefags. There's an assortment of jump cuts to other stuff, including the wonderful visual of the reviewer having water dripping from his 'brow to emulate sweat and inserted two second pictures of things he makes metaphorical reference to in case you were deaf and in need of assisted suicide.

All in all, I wasted 13 minutes of my life. 13 minutes I could have spent vacuuming and instead opted to listen to a guy rant about Arena/Daggerfall's shortcomings despite only doing four fetch quests and googling the endings. On the positive end, I now feel a little more connected to victims of waterboarding.
Damn. You just won the interwebz.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom