Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is WotC D&D Really D&D?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
guys, guys
there's no reason to argue

you can just play superior rolemaster instead of d&d
I just want to play a game where the rules clearly state that being trans is a mental disorder and that trans people are unpleasant:

Screenshot-29.png

Generic-Giant-Spider and you say D&D 3.5 isn't based. :positive:

Well thankfully WotC is pivoting hard away from the previous history of bigotry! Just another clear example of the problematic content from regressive neckbeard shitlords. There is no room for hatred at this table!

I'm just imagining the reaction on Twitter if that was in a 5E book. I think that's where the tales of spontaneous human combustion comes from.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
There's no way to get through to you, is there? I give up.

Just like there is no getting through to you that WotC abominations are not D&D. They may be branded D&D, but they aren't D&D. It's a bit like me trying to tell you my piss is rain. Both are liquids and used for growing plants. However, they have different chemical compositions that make them different.

Just because a rule set uses certain dice does not make it the same as what came before. There is no THAC0 or negative AC. There are plenty of things missing from the abominations that are essential to real D&D/AD&D. When you have one half of the inventor of D&D and the writers of 3.x abomination saying that this is not D&D then it's not D&D.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
These dnd rule books are massive, how do you even read through this autism?

A lot of it is pictures of guys doing cool poses and optional information.
You don't need to know how every class, spell and feat works on first read, you only read what the players choose to play at first.
7BqHAWo.jpg

If you look at this you only really need to read the first 20 pages for general character creation, another 20 for your class and race, 20 for equipment and 40 for how to actually play the damn game. The rest is classes, spells and feats you won't be using.
But even then, the formating is very light. You can binge the whole thing in an hour or so reading every word. It is nothing compared to even a generic fantasy book, actual literature or *shudders* law books.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
I just want to play a game where the rules clearly state that being trans is a mental disorder and that trans people are unpleasant:

Screenshot-29.png

Generic-Giant-Spider and you say D&D 3.5 isn't based. :positive:
Sadly the unpleasant, mentally ill trannies and sex pests are the ones who are making table tops now. All the abnormal sexual stimulus are their kinks and it is so not sexual degeneracy! I mean, they would know as they threaten the DMS-5 to take those disorders and kinks off as mental disorders so their degeneracy is perfectly normal.
:flamesaw:

Zeriel

Arcane

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Start with the original 1974 Dungeons & Dragons three-booklet rules, as they're shorter and easier to understand.

:troll:
If you want to learn D&D on your own, there's no better starting point than the 1983 Frank Mentzer BECMI 'Red Box' Basic Rules, since this begins with a pair of solo scenarios to teach you basic concepts before introducing the fuller rules for players, followed by rules for DMs in the next booklet.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
Start with the original 1974 Dungeons & Dragons three-booklet rules, as they're shorter and easier to understand.

If you want to learn D&D on your own, there's no better starting point than the 1983 Frank Mentzer BECMI 'Red Box' Basic Rules, since this begins with a pair of solo scenarios to teach you basic concepts before introducing the fuller rules for players, followed by rules for DMs in the next booklet.
Table top D&D is for boomers with social issues. However, I actually did read some of the 1st edition manual and it’s geek central I’ll give you that.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Table top D&D is for boomers with social issues. However, I actually did read some of the 1st edition manual and it’s geek central I’ll give you that.

Well it helps to be intelligent in order to appreciate and understand how it all works. I hear your Xbox calling your name to play the latest Zoomer shooter that requires no skill or thought.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Well it helps to be intelligent in order to appreciate and understand how it all works. I hear your Xbox calling your name to play the latest Zoomer shooter that requires no skill or thought.
I was being facetious. Also, I don’t play shooters anymore and Xbox is a terrible console anyhow.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

I was being facetious. Also, I don’t play shooters anymore and Xbox is a terrible console anyhow.

So was I. LOL

Dorateen

Arcane
Seems like to good place to revisit this quote:

Similarly, you must avoid the tendency to drift into areas foreign to the game as a whole. Such campaigns become so strange as to be no longer AD&D. They are isolated and will usually wither.

E. Gary Gygax
Preface, Dungeon Masters Guide, 1979

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom