Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Isometric gameplay can't hold a candle to first person real-time

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
All of the above. Like I said, in 20 years you continue to click away. I'll be a ninja with exaggerated physical ability, a superhero, an evil overlord, or whatever.

I can already be all of the above because I do not require hyperrealistic simulation in order to be immersed. Isometric, first person, or even a simple text adventure or a pen and paper/tabletop session, I can be immersed in any case, it's called suspension of disbelief and it works quite well if you have such a thing called imagination. In fact, I've never been as immersed as in good pen and paper groups with a very reactive DM who gave lots of freedom to the players. You really could play that character you designed in the way you want to without restrictions, and the game world (simulated by the DM) would react to it.

And reactivity and believability are the only things I need for my immersion. I am not just "clicking things", I actually am that evil overlord/righteous hero/whateverthefuck character as long as the game gives me the possibility to play out that role and reacts to it accordingly. Clicking things is just how I interface with that world, like touching things and opening my mouth to speak is merely the interface of how I interact with our real world. If there was a keyboard and a mouse inside my brain that I mentally click in order to do things, it wouldn't change anything at all except for the interface I use to interact with our world.

Delterius

Arcane
This is a thread where someone is enough of a Fargoth that Draq Morrowind himself has to stop and remember that different perspectives are çeant for different kinds of games.

I'm fine with FP perspective, but I don't like it when games strip away features such as the option of full 6-8 person parties and tactical combat. What - FPP doesn't handle either of those things well? Darn. Get back to me when they've fixed that and I'll reconsider my opinion.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
So it ceases to be FPP if it's a blobber? OK
I don't think a blob can be considered a person, but rather, some sort of weird chimera with multiple heads, and pairs of arms.
It's still first person when you're playing as a bear:
2119fe7523597e1409e561e68e5d26be_large.jpg

Fantastic first person camera, motor and control.
The first person view and bear control will play an extraordinary part in the game as it adds a huge amount of character.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
full 6-8 person parties and tactical combat. What - FPP doesn't handle either of those things well? Darn. Get back to me when they've fixed that and I'll reconsider my opinion.
Wizardry 8 motherfucker :argh:
Blob is not the same thing
You know blobbers aren't the kind of FPP he is talking about.

Let's argue semantics like true codexers

Gentle Player

Arcane
Actually, sane people don't talk about immersion in regards to video games because it's nothing more than a marketing buzzword. The one (Oxford English) dictionary definition of "immersion", other than to immerse an object into liquid, is simply "Deep mental involvement in something".
Actually, any sane parson realizes that when it comes to fiction, immersion basically equates with suspension of disbelief.

There are already more appropriate words to describe what you're talking about - I see "verisimilitude" used regularly both here and elsewhere in that context - but if people want to misuse language based on how salesmen like to use words, then that's their business. Meanwhile, the past week has seen me thoroughly immersed in King's Field IV - wherein bats and spiders drop gold coins :M.

DraQ

Arcane
There are already more appropriate words to describe what you're talking about - I see "verisimilitude" used regularly both here and elsewhere in that context - but if people want to misuse language based on how salesmen like to use words, then that's their business. Meanwhile, the past week has seen me thoroughly immersed in King's Field IV - wherein bats and spiders drop gold coins :M.
Then why not this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_(virtual_reality)
+M

++

This.

Of course you might have a tactical FPP, aither as blob, or by commanding team by looking at stuff and giving orders.

It isn't conductive to hands-on coordination of multiple characters that may possibly have no LoS to one another, though. Maybe in a sorts of TB (note!) scheme where you'd switch between characters, but I don't know if it would be very workable.

Last edited:

Gentle Player

Arcane

Eh, that's more of a technical usage which I mentioned in the first post. To keep on with the King's Field example, if I were to play it on Occulus Rift then I'd be immersed as per "Immersion into virtual reality is a perception of being physically present in a non-physical world. The perception is created by surrounding the user of the VR system in images, sound or other stimuli that provide an engrossing total environment." but it'd have no bearing on the actual believability of the world because I'd still be picking up gold coins from monsters.

Anyway, I didn't actually intend to be autistic over word definitions, I simply think "immersive" is a crap way to describe a game. It's on the same level as calling a game "fun", it doesn't really tell the reader anything. The same with "atmospheric"; sure, I have a rough idea of the sort of thing to expect when someone says a game is atmospheric, I'm not completely daft, but what kind of atmosphere? Tense and oppressive? Melancholic? Wacky and surreal? The word by itself doesn't really mean much. I hate all of these terms, they're nebulous and too personal, certainly not conducive to proper analysis of a game's design - which is serious business after all!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom