Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

It took me 5 and a half years to finish Arcanum

Lord Chambers

Erudite
!Here be spoilers!

I have followed two games during development ever. One was Oblivion, because it promised so much. The other was Arcanum, which looking back I can't really explain. It had a refreshing setting, but other than that I don't know what my attraction was. I didn't know who Troika was, I never played Fallout or Fallout 2, and I thought Final Fantasy meant RPG. Nonetheless I avidly read the official forums, preordered the game, and played it furiously in the summer of 2002. Then when school began I put it down and played it off and on for 5 years, never making it farther than discovering the dark elf city location.

How could such a vivid gameworld not draw me in? What could possibly be more entertaining than Arcanum? Why didn't I finish the "greatest crpg of all time?"

The tyranny of choices. Yes, I am that person who, knowing there is a theif solution, and a diplomat solution, and a good solution, and an evil solution, to each quest, cannot continue without doing a breadth search of the consequence tree. It kills me to develop a character in one direction, because the manual and forums make me well educated into the opportunity costs of not developing in another direction. You sprinted through the Black Mountain Clan caves because you die in one hit? I spent a day looting the whole place, selling everything in town, and broke the game with my 70,000 gold pieces. You convinced the Loghaire to sit on the throne again? Fuck, I just slaughtered shit in his dungeon because that's what my character does. Wait, you can kill him, then raise his soul to get the information anywhay? All my guy does is shoot his shitty gun once per turn while Virgil passes out trying to heal him.

And so forth.

So rather than plunge deep into the story and becoming hooked, I played 4-8 characters at the same time to exploit the different development niches/character concepts and never really got past Tarant with any of them. Too much work, not enough fun. Finally I settled on a paladin archtype that I was comfortable with from my mostly console RPG experience, and diced everything in my way to Qintarra, then lost the spark.

I have a PhD on Shrouded Hills though.

But this most recent playthrough I found I have a much more practical goal in mind. I'm not trying to enjoy the game anymore, or find some pleasure from it, I'm trying to beat it, get the most I can out of one playthrough, and then be done with running from threads which might spoil some future playthrough. I played a master diplomat, abusing harm early on for a little exp boost but essentially not participating in combat for the entirety of the game, a charlatan’s protégé maxing persuasion, then Charisma, then intelligence for the one or two places where that affects your dialogue choices, and left the rest of my character points to sit for some fateful day when my character needed to do something other than click dialogue links. I choose an elf because I like elves, not a gnome because they're slightly better suited for the party leader role. I wore a smoking jacket through the whole game. I didn't bother fucking around with side quests that seemed lame because, this time I'm not trying to roleplay a character, nor am I developmentally challenged because I'm using firearms or some shit that are character point desperate. I just blew through the game in 8 hours or so. I returned the mine to Sarah Toone. I talked the thieves off the bridge, Loghaire onto the throne, and helped the orcs unionize. I had sex with Min Gorat, made Raven cook me dinner, then lost Virgil for the rest of the game. I became an honorary diplomat to Caladon, then allied Blackroot with Cumbria because I could. My pack of banshees ripped through every combat the game had to offer except for the Cursed Paladin and Paladin Slaves protecting the Bangalorian Scourge, and in that fight only lost the Dark elf bitch who wouldn't cast any spells to save her life. Chukka, Sogg, and Gar with Katanas (Killed Magus on accident trying to make a deal with the Schulyers, then broke the balanced swords on Golems), Dog, then Raven/Virgil healing while me and the lockpicker outside the Vendigroth Wastes run around in circles in realtime distracting the enemy meant nothing could even hurt me except the huge guards in Khergans castle, at which point I started disintegrating them for kicks.

And I had fun. The game is really great. I learned a lot about the back story by playing a talker, since you can ask for explanations from important characters. I never unraveled the Half-Ogre issue since I didn't give a shit and I know from being spoiled that Gnomes are breeding them. I never could figure out how to uncover Saint Mannox and the Panarii shit, but didn't really care since I was so close to the end. I never found Virgil again or elder Joaquin, but don't care.

Most of all, how do you get the dwarves to burn Tarant to the ground? Can you talk Khergan out of being a fucknut or do you just choose between good ending or bad ending? I liked that after reloading a save and playing out the consequence of siding with him, I recruited all the banished guys, brought them back, killed Khergan and still got the "you sided with Kerghan" ending. Also, does anyone find it funny how weak the banished guys are? The Bane of Kree almost dies fighting the tentacle things around the void gates. I recruited the Gorgawhatever guy and he died before he could make it through a single portal.

And what's the deal with the portal Liam opened up?

Discuss Arcanum, all the cool things you did with characters you've played, and so forth.

dolio

Scholar
From what I've heard, you must be a dwarf to talk the dwarves into attacking Tarant. Not sure about the half ogres.

I think the one time I completed the game I was playing a wizard of some kind, although it's been years. The main thing I remember is taking the mastery tests in several schools of magic (although, apparently, you only get the benefit for one).

More recently I've been playing off and on as yet another wizard to refresh my memory of the game (and I cheated to give myself 20 beauty, which is amusing, but not particularly useful as far as I can tell). I've also played a bit as an imbecile half ogre, but that can get old.

I've never tried playing a diplomat in that game, but you make it sound interesting. I might have to restart now.

xemous

Arcane
I played a diplomat in my first play through also. They're the most powerful since you can get a lot of companions - I had 6 or 7 and they killed everything for me.

Good game I like it wish they'd make a sequel but we live in a barbarous tribal society and art isn't valued here only barbarism and idiocy.

Farewell.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Pretty sure something f'ed up in your endings there, though I usually finish with my regular companions.

Weak? The Bane of Kree has the best sword in the game and is pretty damned good with it, Gorgo is a tank. They're quite significantly tougher than your guys should be at that point.

Not that it matters a lot. I never found the end-fights challenging enough no matter who I had with me.

My favourite character is somewhat similar to yours, a Master talking gnome with a lot of investments in illusion spells as well as that-spell-list-that-Disintegrate-is-under. He only wore a smoking jacket and top hat because fuck anything else, and usually used some throwing weapon in combat (usually that Xena shit)

nik2008ofs

Scholar
My guy was mainly an elf male mage with summoning mastery, teleportation mastery, a couple of ranks in black necromancy (harm is nearly overpowered), strength of earth ALWAYS on (his natural strength was 1, needed the points for intelligence, willpower and charisma). That still left enough character points that by the time I finished the game I was also a Master of Electricity, Persuasion and Dodge, so I could talk my way out of anything, or avoid enemy blows while I cast disintegrate on them.

I experimented with a few of the armors, but in the end decided that the smoking jacket was enough. I equipped the axe of strength +2 as soon as I found it and never took it off, due to the aforementioned lack of natural strength. I slept with every girl that was receptive to either my charm or my money.

My faithful companions were Virgil, Magnus, Loghaire, Chukka, Raven and Dog, accepted the dark elf bitch for a while so Raven wouldn't get too tired servicing all the lads during rest (well, that's what I think was going on, prove me wrong if you can), but in the end she wasn't compatible with my good alignment.

I completed every quest I could find (well, except the mutually exclusive ones, you can't give the mine to both Sarah Toone and her brother) including the Ancient Gods one...

In the end, I kicked Kerghan's bony ass, effected an alliance between Tarant and Caladon ( favoring Tarant, that diplomatic title was sweet), restored Dernholm's rightful ruler and did a bunch of other equally world-shaping stuff that I no longer remember.

afewhours

Scholar
nik2008ofs said:
effected an alliance between Tarant and Caladon ( favoring Tarant, that diplomatic tile was sweet),

If your charisma is really high, then you can persuade Caladon to erect this giant statue of Willoughsby that ejaculates ten metric tonnes of champagne on the hour, every hour. The palace gets demolished to make way for it.

Caladon also has to pay for the champagne out of its military budget.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
If this game was more balanced and had more context near the end (two classic troika faults), it would be perfect.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I loved Arcanum. Played it through 5 times, once with a half-elf human male mage specialized in necromancy spells [conjure spirit to talk to dead NPCs is awesome], once with a male dwarf gunslinger/diplomat, the other three times with human female diplomats, and either some melee or throwing skill.

Actually, I'd never play a non-diplomat character in that game, just because persuasion is such an awesomely useful skill and charisma such an incredibly useful stat. And dialogue gets a lot deeper that way. Gotta play it with a male dwarf again, just to get that famous "Dwarves destroy Tarant" ending.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
thesheeep said:
JarlFrank said:
the other three times with human female diplomats

I always knew you were a Merkel kind of man....

But Merkel doesn't look sexy. My diplomat gals did.

Also, why do most women in politics look shit and have crappy haircuts?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Don't mock Merkel, he is the best leader we ever had precisely because he isn't doing anything at all.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That is quite possible! ;)

Anyway.. back to Merk.. errhh... Arcanum.

I tried to play some technician once but found it to be almost unplayable due to the lack of ressources to make any useful robots or even enough ammunition.
Anything to do against that, besides not playing with such a char?

Hory

Erudite
It took me about 8 years to finish Star Control 2, so there!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am always amazed how anyone can have trouble with Arcanum, especially the golems. I must have played thid game four times but there never was any sort of combat challenge at all...

Err, stupid brag-tangent.

You can buy the schematics for bullets pretty much everywhere (check the weapon seller in Tarant). You can buy the ingredients for bullets everywhere and find them in trashcans. So bullets are never a problem.

Lack of ressources? It should be easy enough to find good stuff on the Smithy, the Gunsmith and the Electricity and Mechanics paths. Actually, all of them. Browsing shops looking for spare parts is a big amount of the tech experience. What path are you taking? What do you need?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, but who the fuck only travels with one weapon? And you can still damage them bare-handed IIRC, though you take some damage, but nothing a potion/herb/spell won't cure.

Oh! This reminds me of why I love RoA/DSA so: weapons are nothing special. Sure, there are magical weapons, but they're so incredibly rare that you will be using mundane ones mostly. In RoA, an indestructible weapon is a great, great treasure, for it saves you the trouble of having to carry a spare weapon in case your first one breaks, which is essential, unless you developed the unarmed combat skill, but I only do that on Thorwalians.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Sure thing, but it gets annoying when I wreck my best weapon on them. Oh, and having to switch the weapons of my party members once they wreck theirs. The best way to kill golems is still by magic or with ranged weapons. They were the only kind of enemy I really hated, just because of the weapon wrecking.

afewhours

Scholar
Jasede said:
Oh! This reminds me of why I love RoA/DSA so: weapons are nothing special. Sure, there are magical weapons, but they're so incredibly rare that you will be using mundane ones mostly.

Same here. I loved RoA's uber-practical approach to weapons and equipment. It immersed me more than 5,000 word essays on the history of Carsomyr + 6 and so on and so on. I can remember Atherion's sword from Star Trail, (and Star Trail itself, obviously) but I can't recall any other shiny weapons right off the top of my head.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
There were some magic weapons un RoA one but they aren't very powerful and easy to miss, maybe the best being an unbreakable 2H sword, a magic shortsword and a magic orcnose, which kicked ass because it has a high base damage and negates the usual penalties this weapon carries.

And still all the magic weapons in RoA do less damage than a simple ox-herd, that huge "fuck you" flail you can buy. It isn't magic but it has a huge base damage.

The Exar

Liturgist
I've played through it just once. I'm angry at me for not liking the game as much as others do. My PC was a sort of warrior/necromancer(for Harm). Pretty powerful though the cursed paladin was a big problem. Overall, I played the game the 'wrong' or 'bad' way and never got much into it. Perhaps I'll give it a chance some other day.

User was nabbed fit

I didn't read all your thread because I didn't want to get to any spoilers. But I feel ya. I spend ridiculous amounts of time selling everything, going back and forth, etc... otherwise I feel like I'm robbing myself.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Jasede said:
I am always amazed how anyone can have trouble with Arcanum, especially the golems. I must have played thid game four times but there never was any sort of combat challenge at all...

Err, stupid brag-tangent.

Same. I didn't even realize until fairly recently that people thought Arcanum was hard. Whenever people talked about combat being unbalanced, I always thought they meant it was too easy. Then again, I usually went either for some kind of diplomat with lots of party members, a mage, or a fast dex-based melee character, which kicked a lot of ass with the fine steel dagger, followed by the filament sword, followed by the Holy Grail of weapons: that stupidly broken staff in Qintarra. With a potion of haste, maxed dex, and that staff you had about 30 attacks and could kill the endboss in one turn.

Radisshu

Prophet
Eh. I did it the simple way, I just played a pure melee guy that had to take some persuasion stuff when the melee skills ran out. As a character he was boring as hell, but he kicked ass and I mostly wanted to go through the story to see what was up.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
Anyone know the worst possible build you can make for Arcanum? I always found gunslingers to be hard to play because you have to literally pump all your points into gun-slinging to get any benefit out of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom