Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

Alkarl

Learned
tank builds are shit in this game. There are only 2 good weapons in the entirety of Demons Souls which sucks
While you are correct about heavier armor being completely pointless there is bunch of great weapons in this game such as:
Axes: Guillotine Axe
Large Axes: Great Axe
Straight Swords: Blueblood Sword ( For very specific luck + weapon buff based build ) and Knight sword
Large Sword: Entire brandt series of swords, Large sword of Moonlight, Morion blade ( as a damage buff on your back ), Stormruler for hilarious knockback
Very large swords: Dragon Bone Smasher
Curved Swords: Kilij, Large sword of searching ( held in offhand for item discovery bonus )
Katanas: Hiltless if you can't be arsed to grind for pure blade stone Sharp uchigatana +5 if you enjoy grinding.
Spears: Winged spear for killing stuff, Scraping spear for marvelous dickbaggery in pvp
Polearms: Halberd, Mirdan Hammer and Warscythe are pretty much identical outside of scaling and damage type differences and they're all good.
Large Hammers: Meat Cleaver has ludicrously good roll attack
Bows: Sticky compound longbow for dexterity based builds, Lavabow for everything else
Crossbows: Just kidding they all suck

While there's other perfectly viable weapons in this game I really enjoyed using all of these.

For sure, and the best part of the Souls series, Demons included, is it really depends on your playstyle and what you're comfortable with. You can upgrade just about any weapon and it will be viable, if its a weapon you're comfortable with so much the better. For instance, I started with straight swords, got good with them and eventually tried picking up another weapon. I was completely sloppy the first time I tried out rapiers and greatswords, even got stomped a few times and spanked on some absolute whiffs. It gets exciting though, when you master a weapon most people wouldn't think twice about.

sullynathan

Arcane
you guys are overrating it. You don't need to use any other weapon except demonbrandt/soulbrandt and then northern regalia. every other weapon has low damage potential in comparison

Last edited:

Arnust

Savant
Nah, only Miyazaki should be allowed to touch Demon's Souls, if he is not involved, just give me a 1080p 60fps version of it, i don't want another Ninja Gaiden Sigma situation.
>Asking Miyazaki to make a technically competent game
:nocountryforshitposters:

Alkarl

Learned
Miyazaki isn't really the genius that all these internet critics like MatthewMatosis, Joseph Anderson, etc hype him up to be. I mean, sure, he reignited the hardcore action genre in a fun and interesting way. Demon's Souls really isn't technically impressive, though. What Demon's and, to a slightly lesser degree, Dark Souls 1, are is thematically impressive. You can find most of what Souls offers, in the technical aspect, in other places. But you aren't going to find the same community, the same online features, the same design principles, fuck you lose most of them starting with Dark Souls 2. You wont find Maiden Astrea, False Idol, King Allant, Yurt, or even Patches in any other game. But you'll get metric fucktons of Ornstein/Smough, False King Allant, and Flamelurker-esque style confrontations.
While most games are content to keep ratcheting up the difficulty with every new encounter, Demon's made you stop and think. Demon's gave you interesting scenarios to navigate instead of Another Dude With A Big Ol' Sword #263 Again But This Time He's On Fire.

Demon's was a lucky happenstance and every entry since has proved this to lesser and greater degrees.

Arnust

Savant
Nah, only Miyazaki should be allowed to touch Demon's Souls, if he is not involved, just give me a 1080p 60fps version of it, i don't want another Ninja Gaiden Sigma situation.
>Asking Miyazaki to make a technically competent game
:nocountryforshitposters:

He is a game designer, he can only do so much about the technical aspects.
Apologies, then. It's not like technical aspects MATTER in a game, right? After all, what say does the head of the company have in their published games, anyway. It's not like you need a mod for the modern classic to be a semi decent port. Or that BB has an ungodly loading screen issue to this day. Or that Dark Souls 3 made some bonfires crash the game on me on use and did not let people past the tutorial on release. And that it somehow looks more dated than Lords of the Fallen.

Have we gotten to the part where we deny the net code and matchmaking are the most laughably half baked that we've seen in a while?

Try and think "Yep, everything's in place and couldn't have been done better. I take my hat off to them." about a Souls game. Right, thought so.

Apologies, then. It's not like technical aspects MATTER in a game, right? After all, what say does the head of the company have in their published games, anyway. It's not like you need a mod for the modern classic to be a semi decent port. Or that BB has an ungodly loading screen issue to this day. Or that Dark Souls 3 made some bonfires crash the game on me on use and did not let people past the tutorial on release. And that it somehow looks more dated than Lords of the Fallen.

Have we gotten to the part where we deny the net code and matchmaking are the most laughably half baked that we've seen in a while?

Try and think "Yep, everything's in place and couldn't have been done better. I take my hat off to them." about a Souls game. Right, thought so.

Man, it's obvious that technical aspects are fucking important, but it's not his fault that Souls games are not stellar from this spectre, the tech team from From Software is nowhere as good as their artists, it's not like he had Naughty Dog or Guerrilla at his disposal, and Demon's Souls of them all probably had the smallest budget by far. Miyazaki is a game designer, not a magician ffs

sullynathan

Arcane
you should ask him why Demons Souls made him think or why it would make any of us think.

Maiden Astrea, False Idol, King Allant, Yurt
Ask him why any of these characters mentioned are great

Actually, Patches is in 3 other games

Demon's gave you interesting scenarios to navigate
You're right, I was impressed when I fought 3 poo poo monsters after another. They were very interesting, thought provoking and better than Flamelurker-esque bosses

Alkarl

Learned
you should ask him why Demons Souls made him think or why it would make any of us think.

Maiden Astrea, False Idol, King Allant, Yurt
Ask him why any of these characters mentioned are great

Actually, Patches is in 3 other games

Demon's gave you interesting scenarios to navigate
You're right, I was impressed when I fought 3 poo poo monsters after another. They were very interesting, thought provoking and better than Flamelurker-esque bosses

Provided you don't spoil the game, there are a plethorae of situations designed to make you approach this game differently than any other. Prime examples are the Fools Idol boss, Patches interactions with the player, Yurt, Mephistopholes, the whole Maiden Astrae segment, Old Hero (the big blind bastard), and so on.

Better yet, tell me why those characters aren't great so I have something to respond to besides a non argument.

As for Patches, refer to the final sentence in that post, namely how every entry since Demon's Souls has served to prove how Demon's brilliance was merely a fluke, a stroke of luck. Patches continual bastardisation only serves, in part, to prove they shot the majority of their creativity on Demon's Souls. Most people forgive a lot of things that ended up getting carried over to the original Dark Souls, but two sequels on, I think we can safely disavow that forgiveness, don't you?

As for your final argument, 3 poo monsters? I only remember 2. I never said the entire game was perfect, just take a look at Dragon God. But it's better than any of its future derivations. I'd rather fight 3 poo monsters than however many flamelurkers or Assylum/Stray/Fire Sage demons that have bloated the sequels. Especially in a game containing so many other high points.

Hyperion

Arcane
Sullynathan and Demon's Souls are like water and oil. You can't change a substance's chemical properties, you're wasting your time.

Though it is pretty funny hearing him talking about not needing to think in DeS when I'm pretty sure he was the one whining about the Tower Knight being too obscure a mechanic a few pages back.

sullynathan

Arcane
Mephistopholes
Never encountered this character, I wasn't gonna beat demons souls more than 3 times after how poor it was

I'm pretty sure he was the one whining about the Tower Knight being too obscure a mechanic a few pages back.
I was probably whining because this fucker fell on me even after I dodged his attack. iirc, I killed him with magic to the head the first time because the game was too unbalanced.

Fools Idol boss
What's great about this boss? Is it because it ignores the player? The shitty magic hit detection, or what?

Really mixed on this boss. I especially hated how he could hit you through walls. Dark souls doesn't even have stealth so even if you're silent, he still ends up finding you.

the whole Maiden Astrae segment
I dislike the entire maiden Astrea segment. I don't like going through it again and again in ng+. Plus the stupid game glitched on me when I tried to get pure white world.

Patches interactions with the player
What makes patches interactions with the player greater in demons souls than in dark souls?

Most people forgive a lot of things that ended up getting carried over to the original Dark Souls
Such as? Dark souls is better than demons souls in practically everyway. It's refinement supersedes whatever originality Demon's souls had

I'd rather fight 3 poo monsters than however many flamelurkers or Assylum/Stray/Fire Sage demons that have bloated the sequels

You'd take leechmonger, dirty Colossus, phalanx and the king over those bosses?:retarded:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's a great dungeon. Keep the reports coming, I do so enjoy people liking DeS, showing off their good taste.
I just beat DS3 and while the fights were frantic and sometimes fun, not many stuck with me; not much was really memorable. DeS left an impression I never forgot. Dark Souls as well, but in a different way. The moods are similar yet different.

I feel like DeS and DS are more for slower, thinking players that like to take their time; DS3 is for people with good reflexes that like to kill stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom