Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

It's Dark souls 10 anniversary

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by TheHeroOfTime, Sep 21, 2021.

1. DemonKing Arcane

DemonKing
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    maybe DeS remake does have better animations, but the video you brought here only shows over the top edgy violence. The main character is the good knight who fight evil, but his backstab/riposte animations look like something from Manhunt. Just another proof that bluepoint had no idea wtf were they doing.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. curds Erudite

curds
    While those elements are fantastic, what I really love was From's respectful decision to allow non-storyfags to totally ignore that shit. Unlike say Dragon Age or Pillars where you are force-fed the shitty lore.

DS allowed you to only seek that shit out if you care, and if you do care, it's everywhere. Even the fucking face selection at character creation oozes history. "Dubious Carim", "Vinheim Scholar", etc. were so intriguing to me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    This?
    Yeah, that's still stupidly vague.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Yeah, what he should've said is: "Go straightforward until you see some stairs. Make sure you look behind the tree for the cool ring. And while you're at it, go human and summon the witch to get some cool gear later. Oh... and as soon as you leave my humble abode, look up to see the boss you're about to face for the Ember. Good luck!" :lol:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Specifying the skeletons who won't die would have been a start. As is, he could be talking about a divine weapon doing literally anything in the catacombs, or even just the fact that divine weapons do extra damage to normal undead.

• not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. curds Erudite

curds
    Domhnall of Zena also says,

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. OctavianRomulus Learned

OctavianRomulus
    One of the things I like about Dark Souls is that while it's clearly high fantasy, it also feels realistic at the same time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. MajorMace Liturgist Patron

MajorMace

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    There's nothing stupid about hiding info from the player, especially when that's a fundamental pillar of your game design. There's a lot to reproach to Dark Souls 1, starting with the shameful copy pasting of trashmobs in Lost Izalith or the disgusting state of the pc port at release.
    But the Catacombs and Tomb of Giants were well designed overall, and a good example of how to alter the pace of the game, get the player out of their comfort zone and add some difficulty without mindlessly bloating the numbers. Needless to add it also participates in defining the area as unique and generates even more tension in a tension-filled experience.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. OctavianRomulus Learned

OctavianRomulus
    I can't stress this enough. Developers don't trust the player to figure out games on their own anymore. It takes away from the joy of discovery. One of the examples that comes to mind is Doom Eternal, which while I like, is full of tutorials interrupting your gameplay showing you how to use weapons (why?), the abilities and weakspots of enemies (why?) and linear level design as opposed to 2016.

By contrast, Dark Souls tells you nothing and every achievement is truly earned. It really feels like you are playing a game from the 90s, in a good way.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Nifft Batuff Liturgist

Nifft Batuff
    I still prefer Pac Man to Dark Souls.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Diablo1_reborn Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic Patron

Diablo1_reborn
    Fixed

• incline incline x 1
    • consume product consume product x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Puukko Arcane

Puukko
    Still the most memorable game of the series for me, even if I haven't even played it any more than the others. It just left a very deep impression. The atmosphere and rustic look are probably my favorite parts.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Carpincho Pampeano Educated

Carpincho Pampeano
    I was in HS when they game came out, a friend and i both bought a copy, i don't think he ever finished the game but i spent hundreds of hours in that game, even got the plat trophie for it on my ps3. Haven't played dark souls 3 yet and maybe i never will, but i did play Bloodborne which i consider the only reason to buy a ps4. I became addicted to dungeon crawlers these past years so i haven't the least amount of interest in playing a DS game again, except Bloodborne because it has actual dungeons.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. MajorMace Liturgist Patron

MajorMace

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Available with anglo subtitles, this lengthy video traces back the artistic inspirations present in Dark Souls. Kinda weaves the game together with the fundamentals of the genre. Also illustrates the purpose of mystery in this medium and why dark souls shines because it substracts from its narration instead of adding to it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Hassar Learned

Hassar
    On one hand, that approach to the story makes the world feel shallow and undeveloped. On the other hand, it lets the player (can’t really say the character because IMO the setup perfectly places modern players in the role of silent protagonist) really get into the immediacy of their actions while stripping down their motivations to concrete things. It’s refreshing to not have to read badly written “worldbuilding” “lore” to understand what’s going on. In DaS’s world…nothing is really going on. Your character falls into Lordran at the last minute before its destruction. There is no world to save (really) because this civilization has already collapsed and died. You’re not even a hero - the items and souls make it clear that your status as the Chosen Undead isn’t really synonymous with that status. Those souls of heroes and great heroes belonged to legendary humans - you’re kind of demeaning those heroic characters by crushing their essences just to add some attributes! Even the info we get in the intro graphic is ultimately unimportant to what players have to do, merely providing a forecast of future bosses.

This isn’t a design choice every developer should make but it is definitely refreshing after a few generations of games that tripped over themselves to build theme parks with overwrought stories, tacky game systems, and such.

*corrected some typing errors from writing this on my phone*

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.