Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I've finally learned to appreciate Gothic.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
For me Gothic 1 is better than Gothic 2 because it is a more even experience. Sure, having to go through the Sleeper temple twice is tedious, but it takes, like, 30 minutes of your time. It's not that bad.

On the other hand, I consider Gothic 2's three chapters (and the expansion area) better than Gothic 1, but after that it drops the ball and drops it hard. First you have to fight your way through hundreds of Orcs, than fight four nearly identical dragon bossfights. Then there is a brief respite as you gather your allies for the final chapter, after which you have to fight your way through thousands of Orcs, tens of thousands of Lizardmen, yet another nearly identical dragon boss, then you reach an abandoned temple (not even the nameless hero is happy about this development, muttering something to the tone of 'not this shit again' to himself) where you have to fight your way through hundreds of thousands of undead, before reaching, you guessed it, yet another nearly identical dragon boss. All of it is just extremely tedious, takes much longer than the Gothic 1 endgame and, to add insult to injury, the most efficient way of dealing with dragons is cheesing them by summoning demons.

It is a shame, but I consider second half of Gothic 2 to be the biggest quality drop in a Piranha Bytes game, much worse than the infamous Risen 1 late game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean, you can argue about the best of PB games for ages, but New Camp and it's clones>Swamp Camp and it's clones>Old camp bitches.

Ruslan

Novice
I really hated Gothic the first time I played it, which was only a couple of years ago. The controls completely threw me off. Made me feel like a 70 year old man attempting to play a video game for the first time and not understanding how to use a keyboard.

In a weird way, it actually reminds me of Arcanum (or at least my experience with Arcanum) in that the one major disappointment is the extremely off-putting, ass-janky combat that's actively trying to prevent you from enjoying the rest of the game. After a few hours, you kind of forget about it though - partially because you get used to it, partially because the combat stops sucking so much once you gain a few levels (and stop taking mid-battle naps in the case of Arcanum). Even though I've learnt to love Gothic in subsequent playthroughs, I think I still lack the Central European heritage necessary to appreciate it to the extent that it deserves.

nyjsu

Educated
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Honestly more games should implement controls similar to Gothic, they felt really natural after you got used to them.

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
G1: new camp>old camp>swamp camp
G2: mercs>paladins>mages

R1: bandits>mages>inquisition
R2: natives>inquisition
R3: demon hunters>mages>natives

ELEX: outlaws>berserkers>clerics

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
G1: Old Camp > Swamp Camp > New Camp
G2: Mages > Paladins > Mercs
G3: Rebels > Nordmar > Woodfolk > Nomads > Assassins > Orcs

R1: Mages > Inquisition > Bandits
R2: Fuck R2
R3: Mages > Demon Hunters > Natives

ELEX: Berserkers > Clerics > Outlaws

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
G1: Old Camp > New Camp > Swamp Camp
G2: Paladins > Mercs > Mages
G3: Rebels > Nordmar > Assassins > Orcs

R1: Bandits > Inquisition > Mages
R2 and R3: don't remember R2 enough, didn't play R3

ELEX: Berserkers > Clerics > Outlaws

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom