Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ive hit 30 and became a storyfag/normie/pleb, confessions of a munchkin

urmom

Learned
I thought I was a storyfag for a while until I played Pillars of Eternity I & II. It was then that I realized that there can be way too much of a mediocre thing. Asphyxiation by blandness!

Codex Year of the Donut
The story is awful, some of the subplots are decent. Most of those subplots stop existing near the second half of the game which is also when the game itself shits the bed.

White March was good though, so, there's that. No idea how they managed to do so well with WM 1+2 then went on to release dumpsterfire.

urmom

Learned
That's what I should have done, yes. But on RPG Codex you have to play every shit RPG fully to completion to generate the proper level of hate for it.

And it's 2021. I can't just go sell the game to some poor sucker someone else. I can't even throw it in the bin. It's forever taunting me every time I look at my GOG library.

Last edited:

Brujoloco

Educated
That's what I should have done, yes. But on RPG Codex you have to play every shit RPG fully to completion to generate the proper level of hate for it.

And it's 2021. I can't just go sell the game to some poor sucker someone else. I can't even throw it in the bin. It's forever taunting me every time I look at my GOG library.

This resonates deeply within my soul as well ... I mean, I dont really hate these days much any rpgs, I just find them completely and utterly bland with an aftertaste of ash in my mouth.

I am so jaded that right now I am replaying Freelancer just to do something different , good thing is the shattered worlds mod for single player is quite good, as it enhances rather than changes the vanilla campaign.

Sometimes I wonder if just arm myself up with patience and wait for VR RPGs to be more common. Skyrim VR is not what I mean.

fork

the whole idea that storyfaggotry is irrelevant is one produced by morons and literal autists.

Film for example, is a visual medium first and foremost. Film can and did work on the basis of interesting images. However, I bet your favorite films all have strong scripts and stories. I bet they also have excellent music. I bet the actors are delivering charismatic performances. There are films that exist purely of gorgeous visual images - and I bet you've never watched them. Neither have I.

And so it is with games too. Yes the gameplay is of primary importance. But a game consisting entirely of mechanics is a dull thing. Storyfaggotry and everything else is what provides inspiration to master the mechanics. The story/world design doesn't need to take front and center, but it does need to give you a reason to keep going.

I don't think anyone would consider Dark Souls a "storyfag" game, but man I bet you were way more invested in finding out about that world than you were in any other DS clone, despite the fact many DS clones have superior way less janky gameplay.

You are wrong.

Games don't need a story—at all—in order to be enjoyable, and gameplay in games is way more important than just having pretty images in film, and story in film is way more important than it is in games. I've played countless storyless games for a combined thousands of hours. For all I care, DS didn't need a story (what makes it so enjoyable besides the gameplay are its atmosphere and level design, not the story).
Yes, there are games that benefit greatly from a good story, and in an RPG forum it's probably unnecessary to mention examples. But pure gameplay titles like racing games, some action titles, shmups etc. (and to a lesser extent even some RPGs) are enjoyable because good gameplay can induce a trance-like state which there simply is no equivalence of in film. More games have been crippled by too much and too bad a story rather than not enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

KateMicucci

Arcane
The older I get the less patience I have for games that waste my time. It's fine if a game has a story, and it's fine if it doesn't. But if the game has a story, don't let it get in the way of the game. If the game makes me waste longer than five minutes on dialogs and cutscenes before it lets me start killing things, its a bad game.

fork

The OP made me think about a similar issue I have with movies.

In my case, I am so old that, usually, I watch movies with the audio off, or using music from other media instead of the original audio track. Why? Because, the plots are so boring and repetitive that I already know them all. They also are bad. Really, really bad. In particular those from recent movies. At least by watching the images only, I can create mentally more interesting plots and twists than those bad ones that are effectively found in the movie.

The next step will be to deliberately downscale the video part (ironic since we are in a age of obligatory hyper or ultra resolutions), in order to make the images fuzzy. Why? Not only the plot and story of movies are boring and repetitive, but also the visuals have the same problem. Nowadays each single movie shot or scene looks like it has been mass produced from a standardized factory. It has the same color saturation, angle of shooting, movement composition, CGI effects, AI actors expressions, etc., in every movie. If the images are less distinct, I can reconstruct them mentally with my inner visualization, letting my imagination to fill the gaps, so to speak. And the results are usually better, at least more interesting, and, to be fair, it does not take much.

One of the more prestigious posts in these forums, and it has not a single prestigious rating nor a brofist.
What is wrong with you guys.

Also, why ban Savecummer, he was pretty entertaining and posted about games. Too edgy for nudex, huh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Norfleet

That's never happened to me, and I'm old and I have a long beard! I'm still infamously about streamlining production processes and identifying redundant assets for termination. I may, however, have become somewhat more mellow in my approach towards murdering other players, and now instead of trying to murder as many as possible, I only try to murder the ones that piss me off.

Then again, maybe that's just because there's so many of them now that I have to prioritize.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
The OP made me think about a similar issue I have with movies.

In my case, I am so old that, usually, I watch movies with the audio off, or using music from other media instead of the original audio track. Why? Because, the plots are so boring and repetitive that I already know them all. They also are bad. Really, really bad. In particular those from recent movies. At least by watching the images only, I can create mentally more interesting plots and twists than those bad ones that are effectively found in the movie.

The next step will be to deliberately downscale the video part (ironic since we are in a age of obligatory hyper or ultra resolutions), in order to make the images fuzzy. Why? Not only the plot and story of movies are boring and repetitive, but also the visuals have the same problem. Nowadays each single movie shot or scene looks like it has been mass produced from a standardized factory. It has the same color saturation, angle of shooting, movement composition, CGI effects, AI actors expressions, etc., in every movie. If the images are less distinct, I can reconstruct them mentally with my inner visualization, letting my imagination to fill the gaps, so to speak. And the results are usually better, at least more interesting, and, to be fair, it does not take much.
My favourite pastime is book + pizza, only I put on the wrong eyeglasses so that the print becomes fuzzy and I can create mentally some much more interesting narrative than whatever Dostoevsky tripe I'm reading at the moment, and I give myself a dentist anesthesia shot so my mouth becomes numb and I can create mentally a much better flavour than the pizza that I'm munching on.

Tihskael

Learned
At 40, you'll probably meet the maker.

9e960e5c9e43f0719295785fe6e189d8--todd-howard-video-games.jpg

Max Damage

Savant
No idea if OP will read this, but he just needs to be more picky with what he plays. I remember being in same mindset like a decade ago when I tried playing shit like Ass Effect and Derp Age, storyfaggotry is not the answer, MMORPGs even more so. This is like realizing the problem and jumping off a cliff instead of backing off, don't do this to yourself man!

kain30

Cipher
Also, why ban Savecummer, he was pretty entertaining and posted about games. Too edgy for nudex, huh?
He's retard and he's banned for a second time since I joined

I think that probably savescummer was banned because he was trolling all the time in the colony ship topic instead of giving constructive criticism. Who knows, maybe iron tower studios are friends with high places in this forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom