Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IXION - space station sim by Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus developer

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://dolos.org

ss_8a8a0cd177f2a866a13b2e950b2d1f56ec0c50c0.1920x1080.jpg

HOPE FOR HUMANITY
IXION combines city building, survival elements and exploration, into a thrilling space opera as you explore the stars. Propelled onwards into a perilous journey, you are the Administrator of the Tiqqun space station, charged with the task to find a new home for humanity after the Earth can no longer provide.

Keeping the station sound and flying will require a deft hand and strategic thinking, as you are constantly pulled between maintaining the hull integrity, bringing in new resources and managing power consumption.

What choices will you make when confronted with impending disaster? What will you discover out there in the dark?

IN DOLOS WE TRUST
A population to manage, not all willing crew, not all from the initial launch, some fresh out of cryo… Maintain trust in the corporation that started this venture or face failure and mutiny. Six sectors can be unlocked within the station, each able to house more population, support new jobs, provide opportunities to monitor the crew with the Data Listening Service. Will you bring hope to the people?

CHOICES IN THE DARK
Who said you were the only ones to escape the fate of the Earth? Brush up against other pockets of survivors, navigate on from the failures and wrecks of others… IXION will lead the player through gripping chapters of story, where new threats and opportunities are presented, all in aid of reaching the final destination, a new home.

FRONTIER ACADEMIA
DOLOS are famed for their innovative technology, their scientists, but the Tiqqun now finds itself cut off. Find what resources you can, research what you do not have. Find new ways to provide for your settlement, construct new buildings to create what’s needed. Modify the Tiqqun station, improve it, forge ahead in this odyssey.

OCCUPATIONAL HAZARDS
Space is a dangerous place. Hull breaches, overloaded power supplies, electrical fires... It is up to you to manage these risks, deal with emergencies, create backup power solutions, and enable Extra Vehicular Activity…

STELLAR EXPLORATION
There are whole new stellar maps to explore. Send out probes to reveal what’s hidden, create mining and cargo ships to find resources and trade, commission science expeditions to discover the secrets and threats you’ll find out there in space. Encounter other survivors and bring them into the fold of your mission, objective - survive.

Not quite expected as Mechanicus dev's new game. Also funny how Kalpyso releases another space station sim after Startopia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I was hoping for more Warhams. Ah well, this is an easy pass. Also, is it just me or is there a sudden influx of "realistic" looking space games?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Also, is it just me or is there a sudden influx of "realistic" looking space games?

Current :incline: zeitgeist if you ask me. I guess between SpaceX and other New Space companies working on commercializing space, Artemis, KSP and the Expanse there is quite a bit of buzz, exposure and gateways into this stuff. I would even say that out of all of these Artemis is the least impactful, at least until they land people again on the Moon later this decade. The CEO from the trailer is obviously inspired by Musk and his "making humanity multiplanetary" slogan.

Anyway Mechanicus was a bit messy in the gameplay mechanics department so I am cautious how they pull off the sim parts in this. Still, I do love me some spess.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Gameplay trailer:

Also a demo is coming for Steam Next Fest (February 21-).

At around 1:59 the GUI social stability bar and the hull bar to the left of it remind me of Frostpunk, indeed the AI warnings remind me of the scripted events (string of disasters) from Frostpunk. Hell, the system map reminds me of expeditions from Frostpunk (one of those parts I liked the most in it) I'm hoping they don't get too inspired by the scripted nature of Frostpunk and there's more depth to the economy/building aspect of it so that there is more of a point to sandbox mode. There are more resources at least it seems.

If you couldn't guess it from anything else the music does hint the guys made Mechanicus previously although it has a more general science fiction spaceeee bend than the gothic grimdark of Mechanicus', so there's that at least.

Anyway demo sounds good, gonna check that out. It can't be worse than per aspera at any rate.

Also seems the moon was blown to hell and there's cool spess wreckage around reminiscent of Homeworld, plus you can move the station around (unless this is just at scripted points), so I am quite interested in this.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Demo is live. Just before the Fest starts.

Only contains the tutorial unfortunately, ending with the FTL jump rather than after the first real chapter/mission. Not sure what to think based on such a very basic demo.

Frostpunk was definitely an inspiration with making promises to crew and having to commit or face the consequences being a thing. Events and expeditions also.

Difference is that the regaining of both hull and trust seems to be fairly straightforward mechanically rather than relying on events. In particular it seems that hull loss over time will happen based on location.

Workplace safety and accidents also seem to be a thing judging by the interface.

Obviously you will unlock more sections of the ship somehow but it is not clear how this will happen.

tabacila

Augur
So this came out. Anyone giving it a shot?
Got it yesterday and played around 7-8 hours. Started a couple of runs, but didn't get too far down the storyline (imo).

Pretty neat overall. Digging the style and presentation. For a city builder type the cinematics and music are awesome.

The game is 'difficult', not in the sense that it is especially hard, but by requiring you to pay attention to what you're being told and plan ahead. I don't get the feeling the game wants to hold your hand. Also fucking up seems to bring on a cycle of death more or less.
For example in one of my runs I expanded too quickly into another sector of the station, which costs quite a lot of population. My initial sector now didn't have enough workers to do all the jobs and they had to do overtime. This caused accidents, which caused less workers, which caused more overwork, which caused more fuckups and so on.
This is especially bad since workers are quite hard to get. After the 'tutorial' part you can basically only get them only by thawing out cryogenic pods. These take time to gather and time to unfreeze.
Gathering resources is quite slow in general, especially if your station if far away. You can move your station, but that can bring on other fuckups.

I once tried to move the station inside the solar system and didn't realize I had too little stored power to do that. This meant my hull repair building (you basically have to constantly spend a small amount of a basic resource to keep your hull hp up) stopped working and the hull got fucked which caused a lot of morale problems. Since the repair work is pretty slow compared to how fast you take damage, it was again a 'small' mistake with big consequences. The game gave me the data about how long the move would take and how long the battery power would last. I was just pants on head retarded and didn't put two and two together.

Now I don't think being punished when you do something stupid is a bad mechanic, but after my population fuckup, I started another run and made sure I had a surplus of workers. I never had to deal with an accident again. It's like that part of the game was 100% solved by just keeping some dudes doing nothing, which felt a little weird.

The only things I don't like so far is the pretty weird way in which sectors share resources. You basically have to set mins and maxes of what resource you want in which sector and you can also restrict which sector shares what with other sectors. Honestly I would have preferred a 'Give 50 alloy from sector 1 to sector 3' button or something, but I have only started playing around with this part. Another annoying part of this is that you need storage for a resource locally in a sector before you can use it.

Space wise it feels a little claustrophobic, since if you don't plan very well you will probably end up small gaps between your buildings that can't be used for anything. Haven't gotten yet to researching upgraded buildings (bigger storages, homes, etc) and I can foresee some swearing in my future if all upgrades have different sizes compared to the base buildings. By the time I was ready to start unlocking these upgrades, my initial sector was 90% filled and there is no chance in hell I can do drop in replacements if their footprint has changed.

Overall pretty fun so far. Would forget to produce enough food/10 again.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It is bad. It seems ok, but it is bad. Mostly due to balance issues. When difficulty is related not to gameplay mechanics and challenges, but to UI, disbalanced shit, not working mechanics and other gameplay-unrelated stuff. What infuriates me the most is that negative modifiers never go away and that thre are penalties for EVERYTHING. Without any logic.

Retardo

Learned
Looks like they went overboard copying frostpunk: not only the "plot-survival-buildan" concept they did appropriate, but also shitty optimisation and lack of freedom.

tabacila

Augur
It does have some pacing flaws and some weird/bad mechanics, but I wouldn't call it a bad game. Presentation and music (same dude that did music for Mechanicus) elevate it a lot imo.

The permanent negative stability modifiers do make sense. Your ship/station is falling apart every time you travel and needs constant repairs, resources are not 100% regenerable, humanity seems to be down to a few hundred people and there's no home to get back to. People getting depressed and shit makes sense. The whole story seems to be be about trying to find a planet to colonize, not turning the station into a permanent home.

I played around with it some more today and got to chapter two.
My initial opinions remain the same. You have to be ready for anything, and stockpile a lot of stuff, because the game will drop you off a cliff without a moment's notice. Problem is you should also stockpile space in your sector, because at certain moments you will have to build some stuff to keep surviving and if you don't have room for it you're fucked. I nearly got a mutiny when people started getting depressed about leaving Earth behind and I didn't have room to build a 'morale' building because I had done some planning gore in my original sector.
It can get pretty claustrophobic pretty fast if you didn't pay attention to where you built stuff.
The good news is that dismantling stuff gives you back 100% of the resources you payed so you can move buildings around. Bad news is that if you don't have the storage room for the resources from dismantling, the building just stays in limbo, not working and not disappearing off the map.

So far I only see 2 really bad design choices:

First is how stockpiles work.
Anything that is used in a sector MUST have a stockpile in that sector and stockpiles can't accept more than 1 resource type.
For example electronics. They are pretty rare to find, cost a lot to make and are used in bigger buildings usually in the single digits (something like 2-3). Oh you want to build a Steel Mill in a brand new sector? Well you better build a new 3x3 stockpile capable of holding 100 items, fuck around with the sector sharing logic to make sure you get those 2 electronics you need for the mill from another sector and then repurpose/dismantle the stockpile once you're done.
I guess I understand the local stockpile thing since it has workers that actually take the resources to where they are needed, and having those fuckers go 3 sectors over for 1 alloys would be annoying, but the single resource type stockpile is so shit. There are some resources you'll be getting in the high hundreds and there are some you'll be getting in the 10s and single digits. Surely my 2 electronic thingies can share the same space with some iron and a few cryogenic pods.

Second is building access and roads.
Frostpunk had roads that cost wood, but didn't take up space and just have to connect to a building on any side. Ixion has roads that are free, but take up tiles and have to touch buildings on certain sides (so far I've only seen houses have all around access so far). It's annoying as fuck and makes the whole building tetris thing even more unbearable. I understand space being at a premium on a space station, but perhaps we're at the tech level to be able put a door on the side of this fucking 3x7 clinic?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Was interested in this game, but the impressions in this thread are kinda dissuading me. I liked frostpunk well enough (but not well enough to play any of the alternate scenarios or dlc), and this seems kinda like frostpunk, but in space.

But I'm not a huge fan of management hell and needing to replay several hours due to some random event or other bullshit.

tabacila

Augur
Honestly the only random bullshit thing I've seen so far is opening cryo pods and not getting non-workers. I think they're meant to be used as colonists later on, but in the first system, where you get hundreds of pods, they're completely useless. Oh and hoarding and not opening pods gets you some stability maluses. Like my dudes, there's barely enough insect gruel and sleeping space to go around. How about we get our shit together before bringing more people into the mix.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
So I saw people on Twitter complaining about the negative reviews and I went and checked them myself and the Twitter complaints are practically qualifying as disinformation. I think what happened is the devs heavily bungled the marketing campaign and weren't clear about what type of game this was. This is not a "city builder". People who went in thinking it was had a rude awakening. This is a "futuristic municipal themed puzzle roguelike" or something.

This reminds me heavily of the marketing failures of companies like Paradox where they sort of butter up the genre of the game to get more sales and then shocked pikachu when people feel tricked and get mad. Of course Paradox also does other bad stuff like lie about quality and over charge. But the fundamental issue is the same.

Hellraiser

Arcane
So I saw people on Twitter complaining about the negative reviews and I went and checked them myself and the Twitter complaints are practically qualifying as disinformation. I think what happened is the devs heavily bungled the marketing campaign and weren't clear about what type of game this was. This is not a "city builder". People who went in thinking it was had a rude awakening. This is a "futuristic municipal themed puzzle roguelike" or something.

This reminds me heavily of the marketing failures of companies like Paradox where they sort of butter up the genre of the game to get more sales and then shocked pikachu when people feel tricked and get mad. Of course Paradox also does other bad stuff like lie about quality and over charge. But the fundamental issue is the same.

Same issue as Frostpunk had, only Frostpunk didn't put out a demo before release IIRC. Well that and the demo made it clear this is a Frostpunk clone and it is very likely the challenge will be beating the scripted events. Frostpunk is in my opinion a CYOA where you build stuff between scripted event prompts, with a rather shallow economic/logistic component you need to kind of worry about.

Last edited:

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Had to unfollow and block several people on Twitter who were just going hard on defending every little thing in Ixion.

"The game has disaster and dark". Like bro so what? Paradox games, Banished, etc all have "disasters". But they are easy as hell and freeform letting you do your thing instead of being on very restrictive rails. "Dark" isn't a gameplay descriptor. Honestly do these people just do this because they get free review copies of every game or something? Can they not accept that anything but their own experience is valid? Even though I shit on Paradox for instance I understand why other people like them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom